Mapmaking and Explored Regions

Kenku17

First Post
Hey People,

When I made William, with his Mapmaking skills, I hadn't really fleshed it out yet....but as I start my first adventure with him I was wondering if I could get it set up.

There are two main things I was wondering if I could get addressed.

1.What would it take to get a region added as "Explored"?

To me the easiest way to do this would be to do a Knowledge(Geography) Skill check with a DC at least 15(higher if there is indistinguishable terrain, or veiwing conditions) to see if a person made legible enough and consise enough notes to be able to make a map of the region.

2.How the Mechanics for Craft(Mapmaking) work?

Greyman gave a preety good suggestion for it

thegreyman said:
If your looking for mechanics for mapmaking, start a proposal thread on the core page of LEW. Possibly start with some mechanics like DC (15/20/25) for maps for different terrains. On a successful check, the map gives +2 on Survival checks for that area. On a failed check, you can retry with additional time spent. Failed by 5 (or 10) or more, and the map is horrible and gets whoever uses it lost. Maybe set up some prices for selling them based on the range of area covered.

I dunno what getting lost will mean, but I could also see the map used for say, to grant a person temp ranks in Knowledge(Geography) for the area of the map.

B4cchus

Explorer
I think a know(geography) would indeed do the trick but I think it would also require some amount of traveling (exploring) the region. That raises another interresting question: how to define 'a region'?
Apart from the knowledge check there should be some amount of time spent exploring the region involved. In downtime this may be resolved through both spending craft points and the mere presence in a region.
Bear in mind that irl past day explorers spent an awful amount of time to map out a region. Just a good overlook isn't enough to make out details and scale.

First of all like any other craft. Besides that, I suggest a good map of a region could give a +2 competence bonus to know(geography) checks, like artisan's tools, merchant scales, ad any other type of specific equipment.

Kenku17

First Post
B4cchus said:
I think a know(geography) would indeed do the trick but I think it would also require some amount of traveling (exploring) the region. That raises another interresting question: how to define 'a region'?
Apart from the knowledge check there should be some amount of time spent exploring the region involved. In downtime this may be resolved through both spending craft points and the mere presence in a region.
Bear in mind that irl past day explorers spent an awful amount of time to map out a region. Just a good overlook isn't enough to make out details and scale.

First of all like any other craft. Besides that, I suggest a good map of a region could give a +2 competence bonus to know(geography) checks, like artisan's tools, merchant scales, ad any other type of specific equipment.

Looking over it, number 2 sounds good. As for the derivative to 1, I guess the best way to determine a region would be what the map is set up for. For example a region could be city, a road, or (if a person was nuts enough...or was working for a certain person(ie This Guy ) a woodland or dungeon.

Last edited:

Jerrand Redband

First Post
Mapmaking

Making a map should be the same as making a sword or shield the only difference is that you don t have a base to start from you need to no the cost of the map and convert that to sp
something a judge should decide after a description of the type of map you are going to make then have the judge set a DC based on how detailed an area your going to map and circumstance bonuses/penalities (masterwork artisan's tools i.e. good paper and ink(black or colored) would give a +2 to a mapmaking check) have visited the area could lower the DC while trying to draw from someones description could raise it make a craft check representing one week of work follow the rest of the craft rules

5 ranks know (geography) could add a +2 bonus to craft mapmaking checks

normal maps and masterwork maps

normal = lines on paper
masterwork = color, artwork, and other details

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases