Homebrew 4th Edition Class - The Shaman!

SyneLau

First Post
I have just a rough outline based on the information about 4th Edition so far, but I always wondered why there isn't a simple "Shaman" class. I'm taking ideas from the Druid, Tiger Claw maneuvers, the Spirit Shaman, and just about every little piece here and there. This is what I got so far...

Custom Class - Shaman

Role: Leader/Controller
Power Source: Primal
Key Abilities: Wisdom, Charisma, Constitution

Armor Training: Hide
Weapon Proficiencies: Dagger, Hand-Axe, Quarterstaff, Spear, Short-Bow
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution Score
Healing Surges: 6 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: Insight and Nature plus two others.
Skill List: Acrobatics*, Athletics*, Endurance, Heal, Insight*, Intimidate, Nature, Perception*, Stealth*

Build Options:
Earth Shaman (Chant)
Storm Shaman (Dance)
Beast Shaman (Dagger)
Spirit Shaman (Quarterstaff)

Implements:
Mask (Tribal/Bestial Mask)
Dagger (Ceremonial Dagger)
Quarterstaff (Totem Staff)
Chants (Ground/Earth/Drum Based)
Dances (Sky/Storm/Rhythm Based)

Powers:

[Earth Shaman]

<Tremor Strike> Shaman Attack 1
With the low rumble of your voice, the ground shakes below your foes, then juts upwards momentarily.
[Encounter] * Primal, Implement (Chant) * Standard Action
* Area - Burst 1 within 10 squares.
* Target - Each creature in burst.
* Attack - Wisdom vs. Reflex
* Hit - 1d6 + Wis damage, slide creature 1 square -or- knock prone. (Opponent's choice.)

<Dirge of the Desert Wind> Shaman Utility 3
With the whisper of the desert wind, you surround yourself in shimmering sand that stings all who venture close.
[Daily] * Primal, Implement (Chant) * Standard Action
* Area - All squares adjacent to you.
* Effect - Sand envelops and surrounds you. Gain 25% Concealment vs foes not adjacent to you. Whenever a creature successfully hits you with a melee attack, that creature takes Wis damage, then push that creature 1 square.
* Sustain Minor - Until end of encounter or 5 minutes.

[Storm Shaman]
<Thunder Rupture> Shaman Attack 2
The rhythm of your stomping feet symbolizes the thunderous roar of a gathering storm.
[Encounter] * Primal, Implement (Dance), Thunder * Standard Action
* Target - Each creature adjacent to you.
* Attack - Charisma vs. Fort
* Hit - 2d6 + Cha Thunder damage, and push creature 1 square.

[Beast Shaman]
<Alluring Strike> Shaman 2
Using the alluring posture of a crane, you draw your opponent in closer, then strike it rapidly.
[Encounter] * Primal, Implement (Dagger/Mask) * Standard Action [Range 3]
* Target - One creature
* Attack - Cha vs Will
* Hit - Pull creature 1 square. If successful and creature is within melee range, follow up attack.
* Attack - Dex vs AC
* Hit - 2[W] + Dex damage. Target is dazed for 1 round.

<Cobra Fang Strike> Shaman 3
You make the hiss of a snake as you carefully position your dagger to strike a vital point. You simulate a cobra exposing its fangs.
[Encounter] * Primal, Implement (Dagger/Mask) * Standard Action [Melee]
* Target - One creature
* Attack - Dex vs AC
* Hit - 2[W] + Con damage. Then follow up.
* Attack - Con vs Fort
* Hit - 1[W] + Con damage. If foe is now bloodied, that creature is immobilized for 1 round.

VBMEW-01

First Post
I like it! Dirge of the Desert Wind looks fun

If you are interested in putting it in, we (me and a few other folks) have an Original Creations Compilations thread where we are putting everything into categorized PDFs so everyone can find them easily and use them.

Quickleaf

Legend
I like the feel of your shaman, and especially the implements.

I think the Beast Shaman seems to share too much ground with the Druid.

<Tremor Strike> opponents will choose to slide rather than be knocked prone. As has been mentioned in other threads, knocking an opponent prone is a big deal, and knocking several opponents prone in the burst area is too powerful for a 1st level attack.

<Dirge of the Desert Wind> instead of Wis damage when attacking you, how about if opponents are temporarily blinded?

All in all, good headstart on powers!

SyneLau

First Post
Thanks for your support, guys. :) Though I liked playing a Druid in 3.5, I didn't feel that the class would fit as well as a fantasy based "Shaman". I guess its just a name thing...

I remembered an article talking about how Wizards should have a dagger as an implement, so I took that idea and applied it to the Shaman.

VBMEW-01: The thought of maneuvers makes me want to reference fighting video games and anime and start making powers based on the names...until I can get a steady grasp of how to balance maneuvers, I'll probably won't contribute anything yet.

Quickleaf: Thank you for your suggestions. I haven't put all that much thought with the Encounter powers. I wanted some sort of Daily power that lingers throughout the entire encounter, sort of like Call Lightning and other effects that the Druid has.

Quickleaf

Legend
SyneLau said:
Thank you for your suggestions. I haven't put all that much thought with the Encounter powers. I wanted some sort of Daily power that lingers throughout the entire encounter, sort of like Call Lightning and other effects that the Druid has.
My impression is that 4e handles ongoing effects one of two ways: (1) save ends the effect for the target concerned, or (2) you can sustain the effect as a minor action. So, I'd handle "call lightning" or similar effects one of these ways unless there's a compelling reason not to.

Saitou

First Post
I Haven't even finished reading the whole thing, but having an encounter power that can deal 3[W]+2xCON does not fit a leader/controller.

Just sayin'.

Remove ads