What's the best fighter/mage class/Prc?

I've been out of the loop for some time, and I'm not familiarized with all the 3.5 content out there, so I'm turning to you, knowledgeable folk. :)

I've always liked the fighter/mage character concept, but it seems that it's somewhat hard to come by a combination of classes in 3.5 to achieve a viable character (the Fighter/Mage multiclass seems quite at odds among its components when it comes to picture a melee magic-wielding character).

So, what are your thoughts about the best way to realize this concept?

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Eldritch Knight PrC from the DMG
Spell Blade PrC from the Comp Arc or Comp Warrior (not sure which)

Phantom Knight PrC from an Eberron Book

Battle Sorcerer variant from the Unearthed Arcana

I think I have heard that the Abjurant Champion from the Complete Mage is in this vein as well.

There is a little to get you started.
The Gish build is hard to do really effectively in 3.5. :(

I am really looking forward to 4E. :D

If you want to do the Eldritch Knight route, there is a Regional Feat in Forgotten Realms that is really useful.

If you can, take Militia. It gives you proficiency with all Martial Weapons, so you don't need a 1-level Fighter dip to take Eldritch Knight, just the 5 levels of Wizard then straight up in EK.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
GoodKingJayIII said:
There's also the Duskblade class in PHB II that's great for a play who wants to start at level 1 as a fighter/mage.

Let me second this. The duskblade rocks. I'm also fond of the beguiler in PHB II. Great illusionist/thief class. :)

Darklone

It's not exactly Ftr/Mage, more rogue/wizard... Daggerspell mage (if possible with scout) heading towards Arcane Trickster. Strong spellcasting, a lot of sneak attack, TWF daggerfighting with a nice swift 2nd level spell... though I think the Daggerspell shaper is much stronger.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
If you're playing with the Bo9S, you also may want to consider the Jade Phoenix Mage - start with wizard until the 4th level, pick up a level of warblade (warblade later to get access to better manoeuvres) and head straight for Jade Phoenix Mage. Ignore the fluff, if you want to, but the crunch is pretty nice. You sacrifice more spell power, but between manoeuvres and the *very* cool stances, you can become a pretty capable fighter/mage, though you'll lean more on the fighter side. However, you need to have 2-3 levels of the PrC, until it starts to come together and work.

Cheers, LT.

drothgery

First Post
Magic-weilding melee character?

Cleric of the abstract philosophy of killing evil things and taking their stuff (grants the war and travel domains...).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases