Tales of Arnesia: Iron Heroes

Paper_Bard

First Post
Alright, so here's the situation.
Your characters are all level 5.

We'll be using the Iron Heroes ruleset, with the new player's companion or whatever its called.

Also, anything in here
Supercedes everything.

Revised rulebook (not much difference, really)

The normal point buy displayed in the book, and your gold is as normal.

However, anyone who wants to play a spellcaster must first talk to me. I haven't yet gone over the spiritualist, but right now as far as I know, its not working with the setting.

Here's some fluff.

In the beginning, the Gods of Lasfania frolicked in reckless abandon. Consumed by chaos, they let their powers run rampant, killing and rebirthing each other in an endless cycle of death and destruction.
Four deities did not participate in this wanton debauchery, however. Anton, the awesome one, the ruler of deities, he was highest of these four. His beautiful wife, Leira, goddess of beauty and wisdom, she was the second of these. Together, these two overdeities ruled over the other Lasfanians; for while the gods had divulged into reckless chaos, they still knew their need of a ruling body, one to look over their abode whilst they frolicked.
The other two deities, while not the rulers of Lasfania, were the most respected of the gods, next to Anton and Leira. Lucifar, the guileful one, the king of princes, and the god of knowledge, was appointed as a secondary ruler. His wife, Aeris, goddess of free will and imagination was appointed as a second to him, his partner in the ruling body. These two were the most beloved by the other gods, even more than Anton and Leira, and so had much sway over the others.
Anton quickly realized that unless the gods had some sort of project or job to occupy their time, they would simply stay in their maddened state. After conversing with his wife and Lucifar and Aeris, Anton came up with a plan to unite all of the gods with one purpose. They would create a world. And they would call it Arnesia.
All the gods pitched in, creating vast valleys and cliffs and ridges, and all manner of earthly edifices. They created the lakes and streams, the weather, and all that beith of the world. Lucifar, in his infinite knowledge, composed a set of rules and regulations on which the world would work. He also convinced the other deities to make the stars and other heavenly bodies, so that the gods might have something to look at while they strolled across their wonderful world.
After immeasurable time had past, the gods grew bored with their creation; They longed to return to the cloudy realm of Lasfania, where they could frolic once more. Leira, in her infinite wisdom, suggested they create caretakers, like themselves, who would live in the wonderful world they created.
And so, the deities made the elves. These elves were not like those who have been tainted by the fall. No, they were majestic and perfect in almost everyway. Having no concept of mortality, the deities made the elves immortal. They were well rewarded with their creations’ praise, and they returned to Lasfania confident that Arnesia was in good hands. Before leaving, however, Aeris requested that she be able to make her own creations, so that the Elves would have some company. They would not have the level of conscious that the elves benefited from, and neither would they be immortal. Anton acquiesced her request and, with some help from her husband, Aeris made the plants and animals.
The elves flourished, quickly adding to their population; never aging or passing away. They developed a great empire, using the innate energies they’d been blessed with from the gods, magic they called it, to create amazing structures in which to live.
It was during this time that Lucifar began to covet Anton’s position of power. He was the deity of knowledge. He had created the laws and regulations on which the very world worked. He deserved to rule over all the gods. He was the one who had brought law and order to them, they loved him.
After several eons of brooding, Lucifar finally looked unto himself for some way to destroy the world which he had helped create, in order to discredit Anton and take his rulership away from him. He killed his wife, Aeris, and took her divine energies. Melding the energies into a large ball of complete chaos, Lucifar then unleashed the horror his wife had become onto the World of Arnesia.
The wave of chaotic energies washed over the world mutating the elves into all the species seen today… killing many by turning them into unlivable organisms. It also broke their connection to the deities of Lasfania, stripping them of their magics. The chaotic energies ripped the lands asunder, creating many of the sharp cliffs and crags seen today.
After spreading her defiling chaos across the world, the entity known previously as Aeris turned its evil sights on Lasfania. She spread her corruption into the land of the gods itself. The surge of chaotic energies destroyed the gods, even Anton and Leira, the overdeities.
Lucifar, wrought with guilt and shame at what he had set loose, drew upon his own godly energy. Through his immense will and knowledge, he created a sub-plane for him to dwell on. While not nearly as wonderful as Lasfania, it allowed him to survive where the other Gods had not. Wracked with shame and grief, he removed all ties to the world which he created, and put himself into a deep sleep, never to be awoken.
The remaining peoples found others of their kind and made communities of themselves. Life went on. The remaining elves, for their were those who still resembled elves, broke off into three sects. Those least affected by the chaotic energies, those who still wished to keep to the laws and regulations set down by the gods, they settled in the misty isles. Believing themselves to be the closest to the original elves, they becames haughty and arrogant, calling themselves “high elves”. Another sect, those who did not feel too strongly to either moral extreme, settled in the deep evermere wood and other such forests. Naturally, they called themselves the “wood elves”. A final group, those most adversely affected by Aeris, these dark few were shunned by the other elves. Chaotically bent in their morals, these “dark elves” wandered aimlessly, settling down in several areas. Eventually the other denizens deported them to the Island of the Lost, where they reside to this day.
Humanity, the least outwardly chaotic, but one of the most internally chaotic races in existence, spread across the globe, making their homes in all sorts of climates. They eventually set up two empires, Arnesia to the north, named after their world, and Laehll to the south.
After several years, a rather odd race sprang up. Short and stocky, these ‘dwarfs’ settled in the mountainous regions. Through their vast skill in metalworking and smithying, they made themselves invaluable to the otehr societies. Even the haughty high elves purchased their ore, for there was none greater in all the world.
To most people's eyes, magic has left the world. The once-great mage cities of the elves are long-gone, and the elves themselves turned their back on magic long ago. The original source of magic, the Gods, is gone.

Magic is not entirely impossible, however. Many have tried, and some succeeded, in tapping into the dark forces of Aeris. Basically, they draw their magical energy from chaos incarnate, and strive to shape that pure chaos into a regulated form. Needless to say, this is not easy. Many divulged into madness, as peering into the depths of chaos can do to some. As such, this ‘sorcery’ has been outlawed by most of the races, as many feel it to be too dangerous and unpredictable.

All of you currently start in Laehll. Let me give you a bit of info on the current situation.

A hundred years ago, the empire to the north, Arnesia, was split asunder by a civil war. On one side: dark sorcerers and their monstrous slaves, those who wished to delve seep into dark and forbidden sorcery, trying to find immortality and avoid the inherent corruption that tapping into Aeris inevitably gives. On the other: the government of Arnesia and its Laehllish allies. There was a great battle and many lives were lost. The Laehllish army was decimated, returning home with barely half their original numbers. The dark sorcerers were defeated, however, and were exiled to the Island of the Lost (where they intermingled with the dark elves)
Arnesia quickly realized that they would need some sort of sorcerous defense, just in case anything like that happened ever again. They drafted those who possessed the gift, instead of killing them outright. They taught them to use their powers properly, and assigned to each of them a guardian. These ‘gaurdians’ were mutants who possessed an innate resistance to magic. Their job was to protect the sorcerers until they inevitably became insane, and then kill them when they started to slip.
Naturally, Laehll was not too impressed by this, and broke all ties to Arnesia. They had their own problems, trying to defend their homeland from orcs, goblins, and the like with a skeleton force. In desperation, they hired a large mercenary group called the Toul’alfar. They protected the country thoroughly and diligently. When the kingdom had no need for them anymore, however, the mercenary group refused to leave. They still greatly outnumbered the kingdom’s forces. King Valenor, fearing a revolt, offered anything the mercenary captain wanted, in exchange for his promise not to open hostilities. The mercenary captain agreed, on one condition. All future recruits would be given over to him, to better defend Laehll.
The mercenary group has continued to grow in power and prestige. The Laehll military is next to nothing, having all recruits handed over to the mercenaries. This has caused them to depend utterly on the Toul’alfar; something they have taken advantage of. Every year, the mercenaries demand ‘protection tax’.

Long story short: The kingdom of Laehll is really run by the Toul’alfar. The king has little power and acts as a puppet.

This is where you come in. You have all received word that the mercenary captain, Firthren Vludept, wishes an audience with you. He knows of your abilties and has a proposition for you.

Vertexx69

First Post
What's the Iron Heroes rules set? You might want to post a link to this thread in the intro post, as that's where everyone checks for new games.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Sounds like fun, count me in. I would have a human fighter if thats ok. Could you care to specify the amount of gold and points buy, oh and I suppose we are using 3.5 here?

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I haven't had a chance to play Iron Heroes in a while.

I am interested...but let me look over some of Hong's Hacks and see if I still like the system...I know over on the IH boards some of the stuff he proposed seemed rather radical.

I also need to read up your world flavor...I might go with a Berzerker/Archer Axe Thrower, or perhaps a straight-up holy man filled with righteous power (Berzerker).

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Maximalus "Max" Glamis

A human child, shipwrecked, found, and raised amongst High Elves, Glamis has never fit amongst any community of humans. Growing up hearing stories of ancient Gods, ancient magics, and the powers that once were weilded, Max started researching and asking questions of his parents. During his time amongst the elves, Max learned much...too much...and was eventually cast out for his questioning. Now, after years of wandering the world, seeking true magics, and adding to his own considerable abilities to draw safely on powers well beyond normal mortals, Max has found himself in Laehll, trying not to look too much like an insane sorcerer, and hoping to prove that not all of those in touch with the anceint ways will inevitable go crazy.

Concept: Berzerker 5. His berzerkiness=magic in his mind. Weather that is true or not is up to the DM to decide. His Berzerk tokens represent prayers and righteous rage he builds up on the battlefield, until he enters into one of his divine trances. He'll walk around in just sack-cloth robes (and Berzerker DR), carrying a simple quarterstaff. My talents will likely be Child of Faith (Fanatic) and Prodigy (Combat Instincts) and I will focus more on Wisdom to drive my attacks that Strength. FInally, I expect that my feat focus will be aorund combat instincts, Foehammer (useable with a quarterstaff), and Two-weapon fighting (for the quarterstaff's double weapon nature.)

Still working on character sheet.

Walking Dad

First Post
I want play!!!

I'm not excited about some of the changes (make it easier for sneak attack and power attack to stack but reduce two-handed output? :( )

Here some possible characters (stats only, I have some background in mind, but like to be flexible and adapt to other player's backgrounds)

[sblock=Greataxe Fighter]Man-At-Arms 5
Prodigy (Power)
Stubborn

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 10
Cha 14

Feats:
1 Power Attack 1
1 Gladiator 1
1 Axe Mastery 1
2 Overwhelming Presence 1
3 Axe Mastery 3
4 ?

Skill Groups: Social, Perception, Agility, Jump, Survival, Ride, Handel Animal[/sblock][sblock=Trident Master]Man-At-Arms 5
Powerful
Stubborn

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 10
Cha 14

Feats:
1 Power Attack 1
1 Gladiator 1
1 Trident Mastery 1
2 (EWP) Net
3 Trident Mastery 2
4 Overwhelmin Presence 1

Skill Groups: Social, Perception, Agility, Jump, Survival, Ride, Handel Animal[/sblock][sblock="Samurai"]Dedicated 5
Prodigy (Tactics)
Intuitive Learner

Str 14
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 12

Feats:
1 Combat Instinct 1
1 Power Attack 1
2 Sudden Strike 1
4 Sudden Strike 2

Skills: Agility, Athletics, Concentation, Spot, Sense Motive, Listen, Bluff, Ride, Intimidate

Dedication Abilities:
1 Dedicated Attack
4 Feat of Dedication[/sblock][sblock=Raging Brute]Berserker 5
Mountain Folk (Tough as Stone)
Vengeful

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 14
Cha 10

Feats:
1 Axe Mastery 1
1 Power Attack 1
2 Cleave 1
4 Armor Mastery 1

Skills: Athletics, Spot, Sense Motive, Survival, Tumble

Berserker Abilities:
1 Berserk Strength
3 Berserk Mind
5 Furious Throw[/sblock]

The Raging Brute is also a Berserker but with other fluff and Feat direction.
"Samurai" also uses the Combat Instinct Feat Chain.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
ShaggySpellsword said:
... or perhaps a straight-up holy man filled with righteous power (Berzerker).

Sounds more like a Dedicated. Do you have the companion?

@bard: any chance we can not use some of hong's stuff.

Last edited:

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I know it SOUNDS like a dedicated, but I think it's pretty interesting to try and paint new faces on different classes, to interpret them differently.

Holy man with staff and robes? Not scary. When he loses his temper?, beats you about the head with his staff and refuses to die no matter how hard you hit him, all because he claims he is protected by the gods and wields magical powers? Style.

I might look back over the dedicated though...

Remove ads