Mage-Brute build help

Nifft

Penguin Herder
JoelF said:
Green Star Adept is the way to go for a fighter with spells - by the time you max it out you're a construct and immune to a ton of stuff, +6 Nat Armor, +6 Str, DR 10/Adamantine, as well as some other nice stuff.
Green Star Adepts lose their Constitution score. I can't think of many things that are worse for a front-line fighter. :\

Cheers, -- N

JoelF

First Post
True, but that's why you put a 10 in Con initially, save the good stats for other stuff - until you finish transforming you can use a stat boosting item as well. Once you transform, you gain all the construct type features, wich includes a hp boost based on size (20 for medium sized), and you can take improved toughness and a toad familiar if you want also. You won't be the highest hp fighter out there, but neither will any fighter/caster for that matter. Also, the DR will reduce the damage you're taking each hit which will also alleviate the lack of a Con score. (also at the level I built the character, Epic toughness for another 30 hp is a good choice.)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
JoelF said:
True, but that's why you put a 10 in Con initially
Compared to an initial 11 Con +5 (inherent) +6 (enhancement) = 22 Con at level 20 = 6 x HD extra hit points, +6 on Fort saves. That's before Epic Con enhancer items or an Epic spell which grants a greater Enhancement bonus.

No, I really don't see Green Star being strong. You're giving up far too much. :\

Cheers, -- N

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dragon #353 has a list of spells without somatic components.

But guys...I'm not casting spells if I can possibly avoid it!

I don't need Eschew Materials unless I still need materials for Arcane Strike.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I took another look at Arcane strike. It seems to say that the spells have to be arcane, so so much for my Mystic Theurge idea.

And the quickest path to that Feat means picking it up no sooner than 6th level- its got a +4BAB and 3rd level arcane spells as a prereq.

Regdarless of actual path, it looks like I'll need Smiting Spell too...and load up on the offensive spells.

Derro

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
And the quickest path to that Feat means picking it up no sooner than 6th level- its got a +4BAB and 3rd level arcane spells as a prereq.

I think your only option here is battle sorcerer. With middle BAB you get +4 at 6th and 3rd level spells. There's no other arcane caster with mid-grade BAB and full spell progression.

You can't do it with a wizard before 7th character level. They have 3rd level spells at 5th caster level (+2 BAB). With 1 level of a martial class you only have +3 BAB at 6th level.

Centering your concept around Arcane Strike has limited your choices quite a bit. Which is alright but that Arcane Strike will eat through your spells. So your buffing yourself a bit and spending all the rest on strikes?

This has gotten harder to pull off.

I'd like to recommend paladin for a martial level if you go sorcerer. Seriously, the pay off from the saves alone is worth it. And you don't have to be LG, you can be CG (freedom), LE (tyranny), or CE (slaughter).

This is a great thread. I've gotten two brand new character concepts and my comeuppance.

Regdarless
What happened to Regdar?!!? :eek: :D

of actual path, it looks like I'll need Smiting Spell too...and load up on the offensive spells.

Smiting Spell? Where, what? That's not in Complete Warrior with Arcane Strike is it?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
On the 6th level path, I can get there with a single warrior class level as well, but I'd have an XP penalty.

Centering your concept around Arcane Strike has limited your choices quite a bit. Which is alright but that Arcane Strike will eat through your spells. So your buffing yourself a bit and spending all the rest on strikes?

This has gotten harder to pull off.

However, that is the ideal I'm trying to reach.

In actuality, I realize it will be next to impossible. To compensate for that, I'm going to try to stick to spells that have few components and may be interpretable as "rituals" his daddy taught him...mostly touch or personal spells, and nothing flashy like Lightning Bolt, etc. until someone sets his head on right.

If that ever happens, that is.

And that Arcane Strike/Smiting Spell thing is why I'm trying to find the most possible spells to power the feats.

Smiting Spell is in PHB 2. It lets you channel a spell through an attack- much like Duskblades or Spellswords do. Plus the +1BAB req and a metamagic level adjustment of just +1 means its available and useful for some low level spells.

BTW- anyone out there interpreted/ruled/saw a ruling saying Arcane Strike was usable with divine spells?

Last edited:

Derro

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
On the 6th level path, I can get there with a single warrior class level as well, but I'd have an XP penalty.

What is your build to 6th? I don't see how your doing it.

However, that is the ideal I'm trying to reach.

Your Heroic Destiny perhaps?

In actuality, I realize it will be next to impossible. To compensate for that, I'm going to try to stick to spells that have few components and may be interpretable as "rituals" his daddy taught him...mostly touch or personal spells, and nothing flashy like Lightning Bolt, etc. until someone sets his head on right.

Totally. You made that clear with your original descriptions, I thought. That's why I've mentioned buffs plenty, and suggested cutting the Warmage. His whole spell list is attacks an aggressive defense.

Smiting Spell is in PHB 2. It lets you channel a spell through an attack- much like Duskblades or Spellswords do. Plus the +1BAB req and a metamagic level adjustment of just +1 means its available and useful for some low level spells.

That is kickin'. There's only one copy of the PHB2 around so I'll look that up.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What is your build to 6th? I don't see how your doing it.

Easy, you forget that Sorcerers lag a bit when gaining spells as compared to Wizards, and you convince your DM to do the same! :uhoh:

I just got my spell charts mixed up.

Related question:

Arcane Strike lets you channel spells to boost attack and damage bonuses, meaning you'll go through spells quite quickly.

Keeping in mind he's not behaving like a true caster, is there a benefit in multiclassing between 2 different arcane spellcasting classes? It would seem that this would boost my overall # of spells available.

pawsplay

Hero
No, the quickest way to boost your spells is to:

1. Progress in levels as fast as possible.
2. Buff your Cha, temporarily or semi-permanently.
3. Spend any spare feats you have on Extra Spell Slot, once you can cast 4th level spells or higher.
4. Ring of wizardry.

Paladins don't get divine grace until 2nd level. Forget about it. Paladin is only worthwhile if you want unlimited detect evil.

Fig 1/Battle Sorcerer 5/Eldritch Knight X/Spellsword 1 will net you a very solid number of spell slots. With a ring of wizardry II (40k gold), at 10th level you will be caster level 8 (10 with practiced caster), BAB +8, and assuming Cha 14, will have 13 2nd level slots while wearing your ring, which translates essentially into +2 to hit and +2d6 damage to all attacks all the time.

Remove ads