Wayfinder Expedition to the Demon Wastes

Vertexx69

First Post
As the fires burn down and the packed hall eventually begins to thin out, the fevered drumming slows as well. Base softens his drum beats while keeping the break-neck pace and before long is the only drummer left. A few minutes later he notices this and relucantly winds it down to mournful finish and abruptly passes out on his drum with deep and resonent final bong.

serow

First Post
Zaeg paces through the hall, not really joining in the crazy festivities. It's almost as if he was waiting for something to happen, or hoping for something to happen. As the people start to leave or fall asleep, he listens to that last drummer who refuses to go down. Strangely, it calms his mood somewhat, and he soon decides to stop his pacing and get some rest for tomorrow.

renau1g

First Post
Vigarr throws himself into the celebration with a fervor, unmatched by many in the room. However, his exuberance is also his downfall as he succumbs to the debilitating effects of the potent mead faster than most in the room as well. Vigarr passes out face first at one of the long tables after failing to best another member in a vigorous drinking game. When he awakes, Vigarr will stumble around looking for some water as his mouth feels like it's stuffed with cotton. He'll try to find a nice quiet place to relax and, hopefully, recover somewhat from the pounding headache he's suffering from. However, once it's time for inspection Vigarr will push through this minor annoyance and enthusiastically join the others.

Logos7

First Post
By Morning, the Padre apparently meant before dawn.

Like the Ninja, the Padre creeps along with some of the other officers (not wulfgar) soon a frantic thrashing of gongs, pans and horns is heard from inside the mead hall, in the rooms, and anywhere else the junior officers can be found.

Welcome to before the Dawn Honeycakes, Get Cracking

How Many Pushups can you do (take your str score, and yes i know this isn't perfect by anymean)

How many Setups (Takes you con score)

How many jumping jacks (dex)

RUN RUN RUN,

The Morning quickly passes, and a few of the fatter if enthusiastic are roundly put upon, a few sent home the others simply getting a shaken head, as if this too (the fat) will pass, from the officers.

The midday meal is simple, roast beef and potatoes before you guys are finally brought to the combat trials. Its obvious now that no one else is being sent home, unless they leave. 36 young men are all handed heavy practice swords (about 10 pounds) before being put on a small obstacle course.

There is a climbing pole with a bell on top of it, a Irish table (a large plan suspended about 8 feet up, that you have to climb upon to pass. A series of progressively smaller hoops, and a combat dummy at the end.

each event is 30 feet from the next, and you are all being observed)

(give me 3 Climb Checks DC 15, A Jump Check DC 20 (first time gets +4 from running start) and then tumble, dex, acrobatics, jump or something appropiate to get threw the hoops. You got to beat up the dummy however you like, but you gotta take the sword with you no matter what, Check Penalty -1. Give me some narration)

Just as you are about to start, Wulfgar comes to watch. The tension is ratched up. If you wanted to impress the big cheese, this is the time.

renau1g

First Post
Vigarr rouses himself when he hears the gongs and rushes over, barely holding back his enthusiasm. Vigarr manages to be first up to the obstacle course, having easily completed morning's challenges. He spots Wulfgar watching and a huge grin breaks out on his face. Vigarr's looks at this challenge as his chance to show what a valuable asset he can be. He straps the sword across his back and gets prepared to begin, concentrating on the task at hand and remembering back home to his time spent hunting amid the foothills. He eyes the first challenge, the climbing pole, and sets himself up at the base of the pole. With the grace and agility of a primate, Vigarr scales the pole as easily as one climbs a set of stairs. Ringing the bell with a roar, Vigarr jumps down and rushes towards the next obstacle, the suspended table, and pulls himself onto its suspended form, however not as easily as last time. Angry at himself for appearing somewhat weak in front of the leader, Vigarr approaches the hoops and dives through each headfirst, coming up in a roll and continuing through the next one until there are no more. Approaching the final challenge, Vigarr's intensity boils over and as he unsheathes the wooden blade he unleashes a primal roar. Charging forward Vigarr grips the sword tightly in both hands and smashed it hard against the dummy, splitting the sword in twain as a result of the massive blow. After the strike, Vigarr calms somewhat and turns towards the Padre, breathing somewhat heavily and pumps his chest with his mighty fist.

[sblock=rolls]
Climb:
Climb Checks (1d20+9=29, 1d20+9=27, 1d20+9=19)
Jump:
Jump (1d20+14=27)
Dexterity:
Dexterity (1d20+3=23)
Attack (Using Rage):
Attack Roll & Damage (Wielded Two-Handed) (1d20+9=29, 1d8+12=15)
Confirm Critical:
Confirm Critical (1d20+9=19)
Note: I made an assumption as to the damage from the sword, more for flavour than actual effect.
[/sblock]

Vertexx69

First Post
Base's eyes snap open at the first gong, and hes on his feet a moment afterwards. To his dismay, his vision swims a bit from all the ale. He adjust his sash so it will hold the strange weight of the sword and cinches it tight. When he tries to get a grip on the pole to start he hits a splinter with his hand only a couple feet off of the ground and yelps. After managing to clamber up the pole after that, he is exactly confindent as he rings the old bell. With an expert leap he lands firmly atop the irish plane and gets cocky. When he leaps back down, a loose board in the floor gives way and he slams his face into a beam...hard. Staggered he tries to tumble through the hoops, but his swimming vision and now pounding head cause him to miscalculate again and again. The barrage of attacks he releases on the dummy, after finally reaching the other side of the rings, is as wild and varied as his drumming. But the target is destroyed regardless. And with his head hanging low, cradled in his hands he mutters almost to himself, "I'm really much better against moving targets..." the least he has said since he arrived at the organization.
[sblock=Rolls]Climb X3: (1d20+3=14, 1d20+3=15, 1d20+3=22)
Jump: (1d20+8=24)
Tumble: (1d20+11=13)(OMFG the one thing hes good at...I rolled a real d20 4 more times after this :):):):):) 2,3,6,3. My luck with dice mirrors my luck in life.)Tumble: (1d20+11=15)...see! God hates me
Attacking the Dummy: (12 for 5, 6 for 7, 11 for 3, 17 for 7, 1 for 4, 10 for 5)[/sblock]
OOC - When I DM I can roll 20s all day long, but put me on this side of screen and this happens every time.

serow

First Post
The gong rings, and everybody lunges forward, obviously working hard to prove their worth. Zaeg rushes forward too, the good old hobgoblin blood in him edging him on. However, since adrenaline isn't always enough. The first obstacles already test his limits. He was fit, but obviously not fit enough that he could confidently clear such physical challenges. That also wasn't what he did best in the old days.

He grabbed the ropes, trying to climb them. But the rope was too thin (to him). and his feet too big to loop the loop correctly. Zaeg tries again, but his efforts always seem to be rewarded with more frustration. Deciding that enough is enough, Zaeg stretches his arm out towards the bell and roars "RING!!!" The bell rings resoundingly throughout the entire arena.

[sblock=Climb]3 terrible Climb checks at 12, 9, 14.
Zaeg follows it up with Control Object on the bell.[/sblock]

Ignoring the stares of the invigilators, Zaeg carries on to the table obstacle. He doesn't really care about being fair, that's not what they taught him during the War for Freedom. No, they taught him We Will Find A Way, Or We Will Make One. He tries to leap, and falls very short of his target.

[sblock=Jump]Jump check 6 (10 actually, sorry forgot about the +4)[/sblock]

Again, he uses his innate magics, this time to violently jerk the table. Whether it was dislodged or did it fall off, Zaeg doesn't care. Whether he might be disqualified now, he doesn't care. He continues running on.

The hoops are cleared with some effort, unglorious, but now that the end is near, it hardly matters anymore. Zaeg raises the heavy wooden sword and very awkwardly slaps it down onto the dummy, hardly making any proper impact. The dummy almost seems to be mocking Zaeg's efforts. With a final roar "RARRR!", a mix of frustration and release, Zaeg gathers magical energy and unleashes fire upon the dummy.

[sblock=Hoops and Dummy]
Tumble check 12
Hitting the dummy 9

Energy Ray (fire), to hit the dummy 22
Fire damage 3[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Vigarr looks on the rest of the group proceeding through the obstacle and beams as he sees himself as the strongest participant, glancing over at Wulfgar out of the corner of his eye. Vigarr will approach Zaeg after his run and extend his hand in greeting.

"Well done friend, you've got some special skills. I like the anything goes attitude, cuz I'm sure nobody will care how you kill the demons, just that you do. My name's Vigarr, hope we can talk more after this is done."

Graf

Explorer
At the Guild Hall
A thin, sallow-faced, uncomfortable-looking city elf wearing the colors of House Medani approaches the padre.

When it gets to his turn he speaks.
"Yes, I'd like to ask that my cousin be enrolled," he makes an oblique gesture to a tall elvin woman in a ratty cloak leaning against the wall in a corner. "I'm actually her on behalf of my revered elder you see, he, ah, well he sent a letter to Master Ir'Dayne... Well, anyway I'm sure there's no problem, so I'll just write her name here." The simpering elf quickly marks a name on the piece of paper before slipping away.

He approaches the woman, bows in a formal gesture of Aerenal greeting.
She spits on him.
He departs.

Training

Reaper rises silently from her trance when the Padre and his cohorts begin to bang the drums.
She passes the first physical tests easily, seeming to very much enjoy watching the slow and unfit fall by the way side.

During lunch she claims an entire haunch for herself, slicing off chunks of meet with her knife and stuffing them into her face with her other hand, all the while warily eyeing those around her.

She tries to give the sword back when it's handed to her.
Finally, with extreme reluctance, she takes it.

When faced with the pole she keeps the sword in her hand while trying to climb. Obviously strong and generally agile nevertheless she isn't able to climb with only one hand.
After a few tries she gives up and wanders off to the next test.

Upon seeing the table she bounds off, moving improbably quickly. With a leap she clears the entire table, landing more than thirty feet from where her feet left the ground.

Without pause she continues to sprint, again making a long jump past the hoops, this jump falls a bit short of 30 feet but is still respectable. If she understands this isn't how the hoops are supposed to be dealt with she doesn't show it.

She approaches the combat dummy with a look of extreme disdain.
She pokes the dummy with tip of her practice sword and makes to walk off.
As does so a nearby half-orc, who's already finished the training, sneers at her and leans over to make a comment to someone standing next to him.

Her face contorts into a horrific smile. She throws the sword at the orc (it flies wildly off course), pulls a black knife from somewhere on her body and charges the dummy in a frothing rage.

First she hamstrings it. Then she circles it, around snarling and making quick feinting slashes at it to disorient it. By the end she's tackled it; she pins it to the ground with her legs and drives her long black knife into it's face and torso over and over again.

When the rage passes, panting from the exertion, she picks up the largest remaining piece, walks over to the ashen-faced half-orc, and drops in front of him, snarls, spits on the ground and stalks off.

[sblock=Rolls]
Who get's three threes in a row? I do!

Pole: Training | vs DC 15 to climb the pole (1d20+8=11, 1d20+8=11, 1d20+8=11)
Table: Since she moves 40 her jump check is actually +16 so the final total was 31 (corrected character sheet
Hoops:Training | Jump (+4 running) vs the hoops (1d20+16=27)
Dummy: Raging: Attacking the dummy for 8 rounds in a frothing rage. (1d20+7=19, 1d4+6=7, 1d20+7=11, 1d4+6=8, 1d20+7=20, 1d4+6=9, 1d20+7=8, 1d4+6=9, 1d20+7=16, 1d4+6=9, 1d20+7=19, 1d4+6=10, 1d20+7=24, 1d4+6=10, 1d20+7=21, 1d4+6=8)

If everything over an AC 10 hit she did 61 points of damage to the dummy.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases