D&D 4E A 4E Combat Encounter - Round by Round Descritpion

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Hey, is this the first 4E rules argument based on an actual game session (as opposed to just arguing theories)? We could be witnessing history!

D'karr

Adventurer
Zaruthustran said:
Hey, is this the first 4E rules argument based on an actual game session (as opposed to just arguing theories)? We could be witnessing history!

:lol: History in the making... I rolled my History and got a success... :lol:

Delgar

First Post
I like to think of it as more of a discussion, than an argument. With limited rules to look at, short of an actual designer coming in and saying, yah it should be this way. We won't know till June.

Zaruthustran said:

Delgar

First Post
Okay so here's the setup for the next encounter I'm going to do a write up for. I'll post the complete first encounter later.

Another Combat Encounter – 4E style

CAST

Kathra Ironforge – Female Dwarf Fighter
Skamos Redmoon – Male Tiefling Wizard
Erias the Sunlord – Male Human Cleric
Riardon Brightvale – Male Eladrin Ranger
Corrin Reedson – Male Halfing Paladin​

The Setup:

Kathra crashes through the wooden door and slams it shut and puts her back to it. Skamos is off to her side, and vomits. Corrin and Erias are trying to shuffle the rest of the townsfolk off into the basement. Riardon has his bow drawn and loaded aimed at the door. Women are screaming, and children are crying. The town hall is packed with people.

“Get me something to block this door with now!” Kathra yells.​
“Get those peple into the basement quickly,” calls out Riardon, “and make sure they nail the door shut.” He lowers his bow and starts dragging a table towards the door.​
Skamos gags again. “Oh my god, did you see,” he gasps then coughs. “Did you see what they did to Tira.” He vomits again.​
“Stay calm people,” Corrin calls out the crowd, “stay calm and move quickly into the basement.” He looks at a middle aged man that is also trying to direct the crowd. “You know what to do right?” The man nods at him.​
Erias looks up at the heavens, and holds up his sun medallion to his lips and kisses it gently. “Watch over us Pelor, and help us hold back the darkness.​
The door thuds, knocking Kathra forward a bit. Kathra steadfastly tries to hold the door closed. Terrible bloodcurdling screams can be heard off in the distance from outside as other victims are claimed.​
The door thuds again.​
“I’m not going to be able to hold this closed much longer,” Kathra calls out.​
Skamos backs away from the door, wiping his mouth.​
“Get those people in the basement NOW!” Riardon yells out.​
The door flys open knocking Kathra back.​

DM: Roll Initiative

Last edited:

jimpaladin

First Post
I want to thank the OP for this thread! I read earlier in the day and now just read the lateast "to me" entry. What I was going to knock the lack of Fluff. Every DM knows that is what gets the creative juices flowing.

*Unless you work in a mathamatical field or related in which case numbers might be it for you!

I'm in sales the only number I like is the one in my bank :D

Delgar

First Post
Yah, I wanted to put more fluff and flair into it but in the end just typing out all the mechanics became very time consuming, and that was what I was really looking to demonstrate.

jimpaladin said:
I want to thank the OP for this thread! I read earlier in the day and now just read the lateast "to me" entry. What I was going to knock the lack of Fluff. Every DM knows that is what gets the creative juices flowing.

*Unless you work in a mathamatical field or related in which case numbers might be it for you!

I'm in sales the only number I like is the one in my bank :D

valeren

First Post
Great encounter. Thanks for the post.

Just curious, do you guys have any idea on what the comparative levels of 4e characters are to that of 3.xe ones? I mean, like what CR in 3.xe encounters can be at par with the new buffed up 4e level 1 characters?

Thanks

Delgar

First Post
Wow. Well I'm glad it was well recieved. I was just trying to show some old players of mine how 4E would play out. Seeing the rules, the characters, the abilities is one thing. But seeing them in action is another.

Pagan priest said:
Thanks. This thread has done far more to induce me to consider actually buy 4E than all of the previous previews combined.

Delgar

First Post
I can't really say. When I ran a playtest (not this one) I had a player comment (negatively I might add) that it felt like we were already 5th level. In my mind that was a rousing success. Of course the second time I ran them through an entire module and the same player commented on how fun the dragon fight was, so what can I say. :)

valeren said:
Great encounter. Thanks for the post.

Just curious, do you guys have any idea on what the comparative levels of 4e characters are to that of 3.xe ones? I mean, like what CR in 3.xe encounters can be at par with the new buffed up 4e level 1 characters?

Thanks

Remove ads