DS: Closest thing to Pool of Radiance?

takyris

First Post
I have a Nintendo DS. I'm not getting a PSP any time soon.

What is the closest thing people have seen to something like the old SSI Gold Box games? I'm looking for:

- Small group tactics (as in, a team of five or six)
- Moving on a grid in combat (not virtual as in Bard's Tale)
- Fantasy setting (not tanks or cyberpunk)
- Turn based, not real-time

I can honestly deal with a lame story if the combat is fun. I'd prefer that it not look like a bunch of children and lovable animal pets, but beggars can't be choosers.

Help?

Vigilance

Explorer
Final Fantasy III for the DS has a lot of what you're looking for.

4 party members (eventually, you start with one, but expand quickly).

Dozens and dozens of classes (with many more classes opening up as the game goes on). Matter of fact, my favorite part about the game is the way you can mix and match dozens of classes, making a party of any combination you desire (you could have all fighters, or all clerics, or any mix you want).

Again, you start out with few class options, but have dozens by the end, so it does a good job of adding complexity (not that I think someone with your rpg savvy will be getting overwhelmed or anything).

No grid, but turn based combat.

Nice dungeon exploring, with a mechanic to zoom in, able to see less of the map as you move, but with the added ability to notice secret doors.

And the characters are definitely ultra cute.

So it has some things you listed as wants, and some things you listed as not-wants.

But it's a sprawling, 60+ hour RPG in the palm of your hand.

fba827

Adventurer
Magical Starsign is another to consider that is _close_

- Small group tactics (as in, a team of five or six)

Check -- 6 characters. Though you start with fewer and work up.

- Moving on a grid in combat (not virtual as in Bard's Tale)

This would be the point that it is a little weak on ...
Once combat starts, you are pretty much in place - but the ability to move any of your six characters from the front row to the back row (in the backrow they have better defense and their spells turn in to area effect spells with less damage but more targets).

- Fantasy setting (not tanks or cyberpunk)

Check

- Turn based, not real-time

Check.

Story is slightly more interesting than it seems at first (albeit only _slightly_ more interesting). But it is strong on the tactical aspect of it -- each of your characters is stronger or weaker depending on the orbits of the planets so you don't just do mindless actions but have to pause and think once in a while ;) Plus other little goodies are variable (i.e. a treasurebox in a castle may only appear during certain solar phases).

But it's nothing overly restraining or frustrating, it's just little extra stuff that if you miss you miss, if you get then it's a little boon.

--
Fire Emblem DS (working title, yet to be released sometime this year) -- keep an eye out for it, it should (if they keep it a remake rather than tinkering the mechanics) be EXACTLY what you're looking for.

Small group, turn based, grid-tactical combat, fantasy setting, rpg.
--------

If you're willing to go with downgraded graphics and a slightly more basic stylized game, check out the earlier games of the Fire Emblem series that were on Game Boy Advance (The DS plays GameBoy Advance games, right? If I'm remembering incorrectly then ignore this)

I believe GameBoyAdvance has 3 Fire Emblem games.

-------

Another GameBoy Advance game (if you were willing to hit the downgraded graphics) is Shining Force

-------

But back to the topic of the DS.

The only one that I know of that has _all_ that you ask for should be in the coming-this-year Fire Emblem game.

Magical Starsign (which came out last year) has most of what you want except combat is not on a grid.

There may be others, but these are the ones I know of off the top of my head.

TwinBahamut

First Post
For the DS... I am not certain. Most of the games I would recommend are on the GBA (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance isn't bad).

FFTA2 will be out in a few months, maybe, so maybe you could check that out.

Luminous Arc is another game in the exact genre you are asking for, but I haven't played it, so I am unsure how good it would be. It also has a sequel coming.

There is a game that was just released called Rondo of Swords that looks like fun, though I haven't yet had a chance to play it (though I intend to get it soon. The one problem is that seems based on larger groups than just five or six people.

Fire Emblem is a great series, with two good GBA games and a DS game coming sooner or later. Though this is another one focusing on over a dozen characters rather than five or six...

Disgaea will be released on the DS sooner or later, and that one isn't bad.

If you don't need the tactical element, Final Fantasy 3 is pretty good, and the very good Final Fantasy 4 will be released on the DS in a just a few months.

TwinBahamut

First Post
fba827 said:
Fire Emblem DS (working title, yet to be released sometime this year) -- keep an eye out for it, it should (if they keep it a remake rather than tinkering the mechanics) be EXACTLY what you're looking for.

Small group, turn based, grid-tactical combat, fantasy setting, rpg.
I wouldn't say Fire Emblem games are "small group". You can use more than a dozen units at once in the later missions of the Fire Emblem games I have played, and even twenty units is not unheard of. Other than that, though, it is a good series that meets the other criteria.

I believe GameBoyAdvance has 3 Fire Emblem games.
There are three GBA Fire Emblem games, but one was never released in the US and I don't know if it was released in Europe... The later two, though, are certainly available.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I don't think there really is anything like the Gold Box games on the DS; it's got a couple of Bard's Tale style games (Etrian Odyssey 1/2 and Mazes of Fate:DS).

It's got a couple tactical RPGs. I thought Luminous Arc was decent, though not innovative or anything. That's probably your best bet for what you are looking for.

Someone mentioned Magical Starsign - you can find it cheap ($10 or less in discout bins), but it's probably not what you are looking for - it's sort of a science fiction/fantasy combo, and you play as small furry children looking for their lost teacher. (It's not bad though, and some parts are really funny. It's really a traditional JRPG though)

OTOH, if you can put up with a GBA game, they made a version of Eye of the Beholder for it. But unlike the PC version of Eye of the Beholder, it's got the tactical Gold Box style combat. Still a dungeon crawl though.

D.Shaffer

First Post
The type of game you're looking for is usually known as a Tactical RPG. :) The Playstation was filled with these, but only some of them have shown up for the DS so far. However, they're all, for the most part, offshoots of Japanese games so expect LOTS of 'cute factor' when it comes to sprites and artwork.

Out now:
Luminous Arc
Hoshigami (Said to be EXTREMELY difficult)

Coming out sooner or later
Disgaea DS
Fire Emblem DS
FFTA2

Closely related are a bunch of strategy games that, while not RPG's, tend to follow specific characters that lead armies or units, and thus has an overall storyline. They're all Modern Army or Sci Fi based for the most part though.
Advanced Wars
Front Mission
Jagged Alliance (Not out yet, havent heard anything about it in a while so it might be cancelled too)
Drone Tactics (Not Out Yet)
Dawn of Heroes (Not Out Yet)

Also, while not multiple unit based, there's a few 'Roguelike with graphics' turn based RPG's that might work for you.
Deep Labrynth
Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Mystery Dungeon

takyris

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm already currently playing through Advance Wars and enjoying it a bunch (while continuing to suck wind on any mission that involves having to build -- small groups, yes, factories, no), so hearing that Fire Emblem was done by the guys who did Advance Wars was really helpful. I'll definitely pick up the DS version when it comes out.

I'm hunting around for Fire Emblem for the Gameboy (which, yeah, apparently can play on the DS -- haven't tried it yet, though), and I'll give FFIII a look based on Vig's recommendation. I keep flailing on FF games -- I think I know which one I want, and then I get to the store, and there are twenty of them with slightly different names. We'll see if I can keep my head in the game this time.

FFTA is on a grid, right? The screenshots I've seen don't make it entirely clear.

Bront

The man with the probe
FFXII: Revenant wings is an odd RTS RPG. Yeah, it's real time, but I usually don't like those type of games and have found it fun, full, and entertaining.

Beyond that, can't top any of the other suggested games.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases