D&D 4E New 4E attack icon smilies

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Appreciate you including them...

...but, I have to say, I really hope this isn't how things are in the monster manual. This seems to me to be an unnecessary obfuscation. Now I have to remember a bunch of new symbols and what they mean?

Why not just have R for ranged, M for melee, C for cone and B for blast.

Or would that be too easy?

HeinorNY

First Post
Kzach said:
Appreciate you including them...

...but, I have to say, I really hope this isn't how things are in the monster manual. This seems to me to be an unnecessary obfuscation. Now I have to remember a bunch of new symbols and what they mean?Why not just have R for ranged, M for melee, C for cone and B for blast.

Or would that be too easy?
But then we would need to remember that R is for ranged, M for melee, C for cone and B for blast, right? ;)

Edit: Oops, I just remembered that C is for close and B for burst. See, images work better :D

Last edited:

NilesB

First Post
Ondo said:
I don't think I've ever seen that used, and I'm not sure what it would mean. The basic melee is the one you use for opportunity attacks and charges - how basic applies to a ranged attack, I don't know. Regardless, Wizards has one on their site here, as well as basic close and basic burst.
Supposedly "Feather yon Oaf" allows allies to make free basic ranged attacks; Some of the conditions in the Minis rules disallow nonbasic attacks, dazed among them iirc.

Of the Experience pre-gens all the martial characters (and the paladin) can make basic ranged attacks with a bow or thrown weapon, and the arcane powers Magic Missile and Eldritch Blast both make basic ranged attacks.

pweent

Explorer
Kzach said:
Why not just have R for ranged, M for melee, C for cone and B for blast.

And what for burst?

(Incidentally, powers marked with "TM"s mean "'Tis Mince", while those with "TM"s mean "'Tain't Mince".)

Also - Ondo's most recent dice images look fantastic, and I hope they are adopted quickly! Thanks for all these contributions, Ondo!

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Morrus said:
To make it a little easier to write 4E stat blocks and the like, I've added some new smilies to our list:

[Edited first post to show final versions]

:bmelee:
:melee:
:ranged:
:close:
:area:
:4:
:5:
:6:

Slightly OT, but is there some way to make the Reply to Thread window display a list of available emotes? I can see the emotes when I quote Morrus' text, but I dunno if I'm gonna remember "bmelee" ( :bmelee: ) et al.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Saitou said:
omg D&D is becoming magic!
I know that's a joke - but I think there's a reason why the MtG guys have introduced these symbols. Say what you want, but MtG is WotC's no. 1 cash cow. This means they must have done something right - so they're definitively not stupid.

If D&D can take a page from them, I'm all for it! And compressing things into a single symbol that is easily understood sounds like something good.

Cheers, LT.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
ZombieRoboNinja said:
Slightly OT, but is there some way to make the Reply to Thread window display a list of available emotes? I can see the emotes when I quote Morrus' text, but I dunno if I'm gonna remember "bmelee" ( :bmelee: ) et al.

I get a box of clickable smilies when I reply or post. Perhaps it's a setting in your control panel?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases