Bursts and Blasts - Elaborate

Rechan

Adventurer
Someone mentioned an article explaining bursts and blasts. Where is that? Because I'm not quite up to snuff about them.

For one, I understand that a Burst 1 = 1 square + the 8 squares around it. But what if it's Burst 2? Is that like Burst 1, but all the squares adjacent to the blast too? Etc.

Rechan

Adventurer
Thanks! That helped a lot.

However, it doesn't cover what a "Close Blast" is. I'm looking at the Young Black Dragon and scratching my head.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Seule said:
I vaguely recall that the 'close' part means it's centered on the caster.
That makes sense for a BURST, but a BLAST is a block of squares adjacent to a caster.

So if the dragon is breathing all aroudn it spraying everything, then wouldn't it be a BURST?

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Rechan said:
Someone mentioned an article explaining bursts and blasts. Where is that? Because I'm not quite up to snuff about them.

For one, I understand that a Burst 1 = 1 square + the 8 squares around it. But what if it's Burst 2? Is that like Burst 1, but all the squares adjacent to the blast too? Etc.
Blast n = An area n X n squares adjacent to the target square
Burst n = An area which covers every square within n squares of the target square

Close = The target square is the caster's square
Area = The target square is chosen by caster within the specified range

Rechan

Adventurer
Oldtimer said:
Burst n = An area which covers every square within n squares of the target square

So a Close Blast = Instead of effecting an area ADJACENT to the caster, the blast effects the square the caster is in (and the ones to the left and right).

I.E. For a Close Blast 2

X (area of blast)
C (Caster)

XX
XC

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Rechan said:
So a Close Blast = Instead of effecting an area ADJACENT to the caster, the blast effects the square the caster is in (and the ones to the left and right).

I.E. For a Close Blast 2

X (area of blast)
C (Caster)

XX
XC
Eh, no.

So a Close blast 2 would be "an area 2 X 2 squares adjacent to the target square, where the target square is the caster's square" i.e. "an area 2 X 2 squares adjacent to the caster's square."

Makes sense?

Rechan

Adventurer
Oldtimer said:
Eh, no.

So a Close blast 2 would be "an area 2 X 2 squares adjacent to the target square, where the target square is the caster's square" i.e. "an area 2 X 2 squares adjacent to the caster's square."

Makes sense?
No, that makes me confused.

Because then a Close Blast is the same thing as a regular blast, since the regular blast has to be adjacent to the caster's square.

I'm looking at all the diagrams, and based on what you said, every time a Blast is shown, it's a Close blast.

Edit: If a blast is NOT closed, then maybe it's like a wave. The caster designates a square, and the blast goes beyond that point, but not around like a burst. Like so:

X (Blast effected square)
T (Target square)
C (Caster)

XXX
XXX
XTX

C

Verys Arkon

First Post
Rechan said:
No, that makes me confused.

Because then a Close Blast is the same thing as a regular blast, since the regular blast has to be adjacent to the caster's square.

I'm looking at all the diagrams, and based on what you said, every time a Blast is shown, it's a Close blast.

As far as we know, there are no ranged blasts. All blasts start adjacent to the caster or source. Because there are both ranged and close BURSTS, it is important to distinguish them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases