Compiled info on upcoming classes & races

breschau

First Post
Thanks, that's awesome. Could you do us a favor though and paste the gleemax stuff in here? They still own my brain. I'm still unable to log in. It's really damn lame. I'm so hoping the D&D Insider has nothing to do with gleemax.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I'm thinking they might split Psion into two classes: Kineticist (controller) and Telepath (Leader). I imagine the Telepath would then be somewhat similar to the Warlord, but without swinging a weapon in the frontline, and the Kineticist would have many pushes/pulls/slides alongside damage.

Of course, that's pure speculation/wishful thinking.

Ondo

First Post
So today's Warlord excerpt also mentions the shaman as a class that fills the cleric's role, so that info has been added to the first post.

I think it's pretty safe to assume he'll be a Primal Leader.

MaelStorm

First Post
Ondo said:
So today's Warlord excerpt also mentions the shaman as a class that fills the cleric's role, so that info has been added to the first post.

I think it's pretty safe to assume he'll be a Primal Leader.
Classes in the PH II:
new Arcane Classes: Bard (confirmed)
new Divine Classes: ?divine/striker? and divine/controller
Primal Classes: Barbarian, Druid, Shaman, and Sorcerer. (mostly confirmed)
Psionic Classes: 4 classes maybe???

jeffhartsell

First Post
Roles

Defender: Paladin, Fighter
Leader: Warlord, Cleric, Shaman, Bard
Striker: Rogue, Warlock, Ranger
Controller: Wizard

So, where does this put the druid, barbarian, sorcerer, swordmage, and monk for roles?

Also, what other classes might be in PHBII? Necromancer, Illusionist, Psion, Psychic Warrior, Samurai, Ninja, Wilder, Soulknife, Duskblade, Knight, Beguiler, Warmage, Shugenja, Wu Jen, Favored Soul, Hexblade, Swashbuckler, Scout, Spellthief?

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
jeffhartsell said:
So, where does this put the druid, barbarian, sorcerer, swordmage, and monk for roles?
They've said that the druid heals as well as the cleric in an interview. The only ones who should be allowed to do that are leaders. But they've said that the Druid's role is more of a hybrid. I'm guessing Leader/Striker or Leader/Controller.

The Swordmage is definitely a Defender. One of the designers said that it was the result of looking at the power sources and roles and wondering what an arcane defender might look like.

The sorcerer is very likely to be a controller or striker. As for Barbarian: Striker or Defender seem like the only valid choices. Very likely Defender. Monk...who knows.

jeffhartsell

First Post
If the swordmage is a defender and the barbarian a defender that would cover 4 power sources: martial, divine, arcane, and primal. It will be interesting to see what a shadow and psionic defender look like.

Maybe the PHBII ends up with 8 more classes to cover 4 classes in each role for each of the first 4 power sources.

Rechan

Adventurer
jeffhartsell said:
It will be interesting to see what a shadow and psionic defender look like.
Shadow: Hexblade. I'd expect the "Marking" technique to be expanded. For instance, the paladin's "Divine Challenge" marks the target, and if the target attacks anyone but the paladin, they take radiant damage. The Hexblade could hex others in a similar fashion.

Psionic: Psychic Warrior. Which I'm curious how it would differ from a psionic version of the Swordmage.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases