Compiled info on upcoming classes & races

Ondo

First Post
So finally updating the OP again, after almost two months.

Biggest change is that all the PHB2 classes are known and confirmed by Amazon listing the power cards for each class. So replaced this:
Barbarians, Bards, Druids, and Sorcerers are all confirmed for the PHB2 (source, source). We also know:
with this:
The classes included are the Avenger, Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Invoker, Shaman, Sorcerer, and Warden (source). We also know these tidbits about the classes:
Removed this:
  • The other classes start with W, I, T, and S (source).
  • Discussing the classes: "Three are completely and utterly new. The rest are either classes or old concepts revisited." (source)
Added guesses as to which class is being referred to to each of the tidbits - spellcaster-y cleric is probably the Invoker, deadly Striker is probably the Avenger, Leader with buddy is probably the Shaman.
Added this:
[*]One of the classes is a Defender (source). (Probably the Warden.)
Removed this:
Wizards has no plans to reprint races and classes in the Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide in the PHB2 (source).

Also some other new stuff. Added the following:
The primal power source has a theme of transformation (source).
Avenger
The Avenger will be in the Player's Handbook II.
There is a bard preview here (D&D Insider only).
Invoker
The Invoker will be in the Player's Handbook II.
For the Druid, replaced this:
Significant Druid info here. (Link is dead, as it was to a Gleemax blog. Anyone know of a new place to get the info?) A later interview here suggests that the hybrid version may not have made it past playtesting.
with this:
There is a druid preview here (D&D Insider only).

Also did some cleaning, removing the following:
I'm not repeating most info that was in Races & Classes, at least for now.
Martial Power will not include any new classes.
D&D Insider
Dragon will reveal new classes and races in playtest mode before they appear in a future Player's Handbook (source).

Rich Baker hopes to have Half-Orcs on DDi pretty soon after the Player's Handbook hits (source; note this is from January). He expects to see at least a couple of returning classes (Barbarian, Druid, Bard, Sorcerer) on DDi by this summer (source); later he guesses we might see Bard or Druid by late summer or early fall (source).

Wizards has plans to release an annual "Best of" compendium each year (source).

Ondo

First Post
A few things I forgot: added a note to the Shaman that it will be in Player's Handbook II, and added this:
Warden
The Warden is one of the suggested classes for a Minotaur (source, D&D Insider only), so it presumably benefits from Strength and/or Constitution. It will be in the Player's Handbook II.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
For the record, there were european monks who were fighting men as well as asian ones. The asian ones just spark the imagination better.

Fitz

Don't paladin, cleric and fighter largely cover the European Warrior Monk?

At least those are the classes I'd imagine your typical Knight Templar, Teutonic Knight or Hospitllar belonging to. Cleric and paladin fit particuarly well in a fantasy setting.

Ondo

First Post
One more brief update - added a note to the Avenger and Invoker that they are Divine classes, as the blurb for Divine Power in Wizard's catalog (here) mentions them both.

Ondo

First Post
The bladeling has racial stats in MoP. Not sure if it's a PHB- or MM-style writeup, nor what the legality will be for LFR.

Source: Manual of the Planes: Arriving Tomorrow!!! - Page 4 - RPGnet Forums

~

edit: The MoP table of contents previewed today shows 'Bladeling Characters' on page 117.
Thanks! I've added this to the first post.

Also, today's Ampersand confirmed that Shamans and Wardens are Primal - which was extremely obvious before, but not technically confirmed.

fba827

Adventurer
According to: Digital Insider #18
We preview the invoker from Player’s Handbook 2. This new controller class has mastered the original source of divine power, and will introduce summoning to D&D 4th Edition

So confirmations for Invokers, 1) PHB2 2) Divine 3) Controllers 4) introduces summoning

Ondo

First Post
Added confirmation of the Warforged in the Eberron Player's Guide - it is strongly implied here.

Added links to the Invoker and Warden previews on D&D Insider.

Removed some info that seems redundant after the previews - specifically:
[*]There's a new class that's "like a cleric, but a bit more on the spellcaster-y side" (source). (Probably the Invoker.)
[*]One of the classes is a Defender (source). (Probably the Warden.)
The Warden is a Primal class (source, D&D Insider only). It is one of the suggested classes for a Minotaur (source, D&D Insider only), so it presumably benefits from Strength and/or Constitution.

Smog

First Post
Has anyone playtested barbarians yet? On paper it looks like they're going to do way too much damage. Or perhaps I just got an initial bad taste in my mouth when I saw 9[W] under their base power.

Anyone with actual playtime under their belt that can comment?

Remove ads