Compiled info on upcoming classes & races

Puggins

Explorer
D, R, B, W, I, T, S, S?

Well, now we know that the bard isn't making an appearance in a PHB 'til at least 2010, since the barbarian is all but assured.

I don't see Psionics working here. No Psion, no Psychic warrior. I suppose Wilder is theoretically there, but I'm dubious.

Ander00

First Post
Could be psion disciplines (Shaper, Seer, Telepath), or other psionic classes (Soulknife, War Mind), but I wouldn't bet on any of that.

Personally hoping for a general psion class that does a lot of moving things around/messing with the enemies' minds (with possibly build options specializing in either), but we'll see.

cheers

Another thing is that he could have thought Psion, and forgot it started with a "P" that's silent. He didn't guarantee he got all of them right or possible mentioned one twice.

Ashardalon

First Post
Ondo said:
Added this to the first post:

On Gamer Radio Zero Mike Mearls lists the first letters of each class in the PHB2 - D, R, B, W, I, T, S, S. He also says "I think only three of those are classes that anyone has ever seen before. I think the other ones are all new classes, completely new to Dungeons & Dragons." (source, at about 8:30 in the video.)
Hmmm....

Druid, surely - Primal Controller/Defender?
R???
Barbarian - Primal Striker; or Bard - Arcane Leader
W???
Inquisitor - Divine Striker?
T???
Sorcerer - Arcane Controller
Swordmage (one is allowed to hope, right? :p) - Arcane Defender/else Shaman - Primal Leader

If Psionics makes it into PHB 2, then R, W, and T are likely psionic classes. I guess most likely we're looking at 3 primal, 3 psionic, 1 arcane, and 1 divine class, give/take 1 from the first two power sources. A shift to the other two power sources seems less likely.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Puggins said:
D, R, B, W, I, T, S, S?

Well, now we know that the bard isn't making an appearance in a PHB 'til at least 2010, since the barbarian is all but assured.

Not necessarily true. In one of the threads for DDI, they said that they're releasing one of the classes that was originally slated for PHB2 early in an electronic format.

They're doing the same to Artificers (due out next month on DDI).

So we might see it around the same time next year?

Cryptos

First Post
The classes don't exist in a vacuum, I think that's important to remember. They have to plan the release of products around the release of classes, with their current plan for "splatbooks."

It's a fairly safe bet that they want to get the Arcane Power and Divine Power sourcebooks out there as soon as possible to get more options out on the core sources (to wizard players especially.) They're already whipping out an article this month that will include more illusionist-based wizard spells, recognizing that a lot of people were unhappy with the wizard's power selection.

Since new classes are supposed to only appear in PHBs and CPGs (Campaign Player's Guides) I think they're going to want to more or less "complete" the arcane and divine power sources by PHB2, and then put out both sourcebooks that year. If not, they'll definitely go with Arcane first, then Divine in 2010.

In addition to "completing" the arcane and divine sources, I think they also are starting to recognize they painted themselves into a corner a bit with the arcane and divine stuff by only have two classes out for each. It seems clear they feel the need to expand arcane powers since that's the first Class Acts article they're doing in the month of release, as opposed to providing a partial write-up on one of the missing classes so that more people convert to the new edition. They want to get more material out there quickly, but unless they change their production ideas around considerably, they have to wait to release the most of their planned arcane classes for maximum effect. So I think with PHB2 they'll try to "complete" the Primal power source in one shot, as well. That's a very long-winded way of saying that I think the Shaman is a given, and so we'll see Shaman, Barbarian, Druid, and one other from Primal, plus two divine and two arcane.

I have a feeling that Psionics are getting pushed back a year, so that they can have a more or less full contingent of arcane, divine, and primal classes. That gives them the opportunity to release three new power source splat books whenever they feel they're needed, rather than having to wait, if they see the need to expand on certain classes.

Gargazon

First Post
Ondo said:
Added this to the first post:

On Gamer Radio Zero Mike Mearls lists the first letters of each class in the PHB2 - D, R, B, W, I, T, S, S. He also says "I think only three of those are classes that anyone has ever seen before. I think the other ones are all new classes, completely new to Dungeons & Dragons." (source, at about 8:30 in the video.)

I bet they're actually seperating the Psion's disciplines into actual classes to give some flavour, so that 'T' is most likely Telepath.

As Shaman has been mentioned and Sorceror confirmed, I think the S's are covered.

Druid and Barbarian will be the D and B.

Which leaves... R, W and I. As they've talked about a Divine Controller I imagine one of them will be it... Incarnate? That's a good name for someone who's offensively channeling divine power (if they've cut warforged built-in armour they'll probably not be doing Incarnum's built-in magic items).

Haven't a clue for R and W...

Remove ads