Compiled info on upcoming classes & races

Rechan

Adventurer
Majoru Oakheart said:
They've said that the druid heals as well as the cleric in an interview. The only ones who should be allowed to do that are leaders. But they've said that the Druid's role is more of a hybrid. I'm guessing Leader/Striker or Leader/Controller.
They also said that one of the defining characteristics of the Druid is his shapechange ability, because no one else can do that.

So I fully expect a build or version fo the druid to be focused on shapechanging, with a few minor spells in his pocket.

Psionic Classes will likely be:
Psion (Controller)
Psychic Warrior (Defender)
Lurk/Soulknife (Striker)
Ardent (Leader)

Because of those classes were built towards certain roles back in 3e, that'll likely be translated into 4e easily enough.

Rechan

Adventurer
Kobold Avenger said:
Ardent (Leader)
I didn't really like this class. It just didn't feel... right. The feel for it was weird.

I'd be much happier with the Society Mind that was made by a third party. It's a class that's sort've a telepathic hive-mind, sharing powers, etc etc. I could easily see them operating like a telepathic Warlord.

However, the Lurk was sexy.

Jhaelen

First Post
Rechan said:
I didn't really like this class. It just didn't feel... right. The feel for it was weird.
Well besides being somewhat like 'Psionic X' it was really only half of a class, since the Ardent and the Divine Mind originally were two parts of one class that was deemed too powerful.
Since there's precendent for combining two or more 3E classes into one 4E class (e.g. ranger & scout), I'd hope we'll see the Ardent and Divine Mind being combined, too. IF they make a reapperance at all.

I wouldn't really mind if they were not converted. They already stated they wouldn't try to fill the whole power source / role matrix. So, it's probably even more likely there won't be a psionic leader class.

Sadrik

First Post
Rechan said:
I'll put it to you this way.

Some people who want mind readers and telekinetics don't want kung fu and ninja.

Some people who want kung fu and ninja don't want mind readers and telekinetics.

While they might be the same thing, there are two different "feels" or "genres" to both: one is oriental, the other is sci-fi.

So, shoe-horning both into the same book, or under the same power source, is probably going to irritate both camps. There is some overlap, but about as much overlap as "I want divine magic without shooting fireballs" "I want arcane magic without healing".
Should there be a voodoo, chakra, zen, or any other similar old world mysticism power source too? Or are you willing to let voodoo be part of the shadow power source, chakra psionic, zen (druid-like-primal). Come on ki or chi needs to remain in the real world, it needs to get gobbled up by high end martial exploits and psionic powers.

BTW, I would not feel cheated if my monk had psionic power source or if my samurai had a martial power source etc. The two different feels you note should be determined by the players, the fluff, and most importantly the DM.

A high speculation for a power source: Deity! Godlyness for the gods. They get their power from somewhere right...

Last edited:

Sadrik

First Post
jeffhartsell said:
Also, what other classes might be in PHBII? Necromancer, Illusionist, Psion, Psychic Warrior, Samurai, Ninja, Wilder, Soulknife, Duskblade, Knight, Beguiler, Warmage, Shugenja, Wu Jen, Favored Soul, Hexblade, Swashbuckler, Scout, Spellthief?
Some of the above have been killed and their stuff taken...
Duskblade --> Swordmage
Knight --> Paladin
Scout --> Ranger

Sadrik

First Post
My list of needs and wants for future PHBs:
new Martial Classes: martial (Controller)
new Arcane Classes: Bard (Leader), Swordmage (Defender), Artificer (Leader)
new Divine Classes: divine (Striker), divine (Controller)
Primal Classes: Barbarian (Defender), Druid (Striker), Shaman (Leader), Sorcerer (Controller)
Psionic Classes: Telepath (Leader/Controller), Keneticist (Controller/Defender), Monk (Striker)
Shadow Classes: Assassin (Striker), Hexblade (Defender), Illusionist (Controller), Necromancer (Leader)

The Barbarian would be a totem based one
The Druid would be a wildshape based one
The Shaman would be a animal and plant spirit based one
The Sorcerer would be a elemental based one (similar to a shugenja)

The Assassin would kill the shadow dancer and take her stuff
The Hexblade would mark others with curses
The Illusionist would be tricky to create
The Necromancer would be easy to create

The Martial Controller could be an inventor/grenadier type who controls the battle field through his inventions he created

The Divine (Striker) could be a holy assassin- there are many deities that concept would make a lot of sense for.
The Divine (Controller) bring thy divine wrath... or possibly a summoner

Elphilm

Explorer
Jhaelen said:
They already stated they wouldn't try to fill the whole power source / role matrix. So, it's probably even more likely there won't be a psionic leader class.
Actually, I think Leader and Controller are the two roles that make the most sense for psionic classes given the narrowed focus of psychic powers in 4E. I believe it was Races & Classes where it was said that the Psi power source would consist mostly of enchantment effects and mental control.

I like Dalamar's suggestion of a Telepath (Leader) and a Kineticist (Controller) class. The two are probably the most iconic concepts when it comes to Psi powers.

Sadrik

First Post
Elphilm said:
I like Dalamar's suggestion of a Telepath (Leader) and a Kineticist (Controller) class. The two are probably the most iconic concepts when it comes to Psi powers.
I totally agree with those two as well. Psionics also have two other aspects from previous editions:
Body control: Graft weapons, stretch your arms, form a weapon from your hand, absorb energy, become as light as a feather
Precognition: Object reading, telling the future, clairvoyance, clairaudience, jedi-like reflexes, visions, play back a past event

That said there is a lot of ways that those concepts could be implemented.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
Rechan said:
Shadow: Hexblade. I'd expect the "Marking" technique to be expanded. For instance, the paladin's "Divine Challenge" marks the target, and if the target attacks anyone but the paladin, they take radiant damage. The Hexblade could hex others in a similar fashion.

Psionic: Psychic Warrior. Which I'm curious how it would differ from a psionic version of the Swordmage.

The Hexblade's Curse as a marking ability makes a lot of sense. Hexblade as Defender is really straightforward, especially as it seems like only or primarily Defenders use marks. Hexblade might be Shadow, but it could also be Arcane or it might have been absorbed into the Swordmage or something else. As far as I know, we haven't seen any indication that they'll update the Hexblade at all.

Remove ads