Compiled info on upcoming classes & races

drothgery

First Post
Final Attack said:
Ki striker ki striker ki striker

Am I the only one who sees this as blatantly obvious? Ki is confirmed in the PHB. Though since it has not been released i think you can be forgiven :)

It's obvious once you know/strongly suspect there's a ki power source (assuming WotC won't change their mind about monk=striker from races and classes). Before that, not so much.

docdonuts

First Post
Final Attack said:

Am I the only one who sees this as blatantly obvious? Ki is confirmed in the PHB. Though since it has not been released i think you can be forgiven :)

I usually lurk, but after reading the 6th monk = divine/psi controller I dropped my head into the keyboard and posted

Thank you!!! It just seemed way obvious to me if they were including the ki power source.

I fully suspect the PHBII will include the psionic power source because the Eberron campaign setting will be coming out and psionics plays a significant role in that world. Also, the one class likely to be included in the ECS is the Artificer. I totally see this class as a leader/controller. They can buff up their party members with their infusions to armour/weapons and then they could infuse a variety of implements to mimic the powers of wizards/warlocks/clerics.

I really like the idea of the Telpath (psionic leader) and Kineticist(psionic controller). While the Lurk appears to me to be a better striker, there's something a little more iconic to the soulknife being the psionic striker instead. I'm a little worried about the pyschic warrior being another swordmage. Maybe they'll make the Soulknife a psionic defender instead and keep the lurk as a striker.

I'm really curious as to what they plan to do with the elemental power source. Since I have no clue what former 3E classes mesh with this power source. I've seen the shugenja/wujen but they were just clerics/wizards with a slightly different spell selection and flavour.

Ondo

First Post
Final Attack said:

Am I the only one who sees this as blatantly obvious? Ki is confirmed in the PHB.
No, you're not the only one, but in their defense all the posts arguing otherwise were posted before Ki was confirmed.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Ondo said:
Added Elemental and Ki as confirmed power sources, as reported by people who have the Player's Handbook.
Really? That is pretty depressing. Those two were my least favorite Power Source concepts. Elemental doesn't do anything that couldn't be handled by Arcane, and Ki doesn't really do anything that wouldn't be better suited as Martial, Divine, Arcane, or Psionic.

I guess I may be able to make peace with Ki if they give us a proper samurai who can perform a long-ranged wind slash attack and other such things, but if it is just another name for an "Asian Martial" Power Source I will be very disappointed.

Ondo

First Post
Added this to the first post:

On Gamer Radio Zero Mike Mearls lists the first letters of each class in the PHB2 - D, R, B, W, I, T, S, S. He also says "I think only three of those are classes that anyone has ever seen before. I think the other ones are all new classes, completely new to Dungeons & Dragons." (source, at about 8:30 in the video.)

Ondo

First Post
Added this to the first post:

Keith Baker says "you can expect to see an early version of the artificer in next month's Dragon. I don't know if it will be the full class or a partial build, but it should give you something to work with." (source)

Ondo

First Post
Added to the first post a note about the Shaman - Rich Baker mentions it "includes some neat mechanisms for dealing with nature spirits". (source)

Brimmel

First Post
MeMeMeMe said:
I wonder if there'll ever be a martial controller. What would that look like?

He'd be a tinkerer who throws grenades, flash bombs, and nets that do area damage, cause blindness, and restrain, respectively. Sort of like an artificer but without infusing magic into anything--it'd be all realworld oriented powers.

I don't see how you could do him realistically without each attack costing money, though . . . .

Remove ads