Custom Aasimar/Celestial Race: Nephilim

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I was bored, so decided to post my Nephilim race that posted on Gleemax here to see what people think. Especially when it comes to how well it is balanced.

I think the fluff/mechanics will hopefully set it a little off-centre from normal Aasimar/Celestial style races:

Nephilim
Ability Scores:+2 Int, +2 Wis
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares (30 feet)
Vision: Low-Light
Aura Sense: +1 Insight to Party.
Wary of Divinity: You do not give combat advantage to opponents with access to radiant damage.

Astral Radiance

Nephilim Racial Power
The inner Astral Essence that makes up your being can occasionally escape into a fury of untapped power, when your emotions bubble to the surface.
Encounter ✦ Radiant
Minor Action Close Burst 1
Target: All creatures in burst.
Effect: Your body becomes consumed in blinding fire of radiant energy. You deal 1d8 + Cha, Wis or Cons modifier radiant damage to anyone within range.
Secondary Effect: Till next round any melee hit against you deals out 1d6 radiant damage to attacker.

Background:

Songs and ballads are written about the Nephilim, a being born of two worlds. They are romanticized as knights, heroes and gallant saviours. This is hardly the truth.

Though some Nephilim have walked the path that bards sing about it is a rare path. Most Nephilim are cautious and suspicious, wary of any who draw to close. For good reason as well; the Nephilim are the children of Angels and Mortals. These Angels come from all deities both good and ill. They are also runaways having abandoned their duties as servants of the God to grant even a single taste of Mortal life.

Thus, thanks to their renegade parentage the Nephilim are hunted by Gods, Angels, Celestials and all manners of churches. Each Nephilim is most cautious of the God and servants of that God whose parentage once belonged to.

This does not mean though that they refuse to engage in their goals and dreams. No, only that they know they are being watched and have grown cautious and steadfast in their ways.

Appearance:

A Nephilim's physical appearance fluctuates subtly depending upon which God its angelic parentage resided from. Though there are some common themes that cross all Nephilim.

The most common and noticeable is one's facial structure. It is flawless and smooth. The facial features seem underdeveloped and indistinct, this otherworldly nature causes some to become fascinated by the facial structure of a Nephilim, while others find it sickening.

Another common trait are reflective eyes that are commonly seen in some animals. These eyes catch light and at certain angles seem to glow softly.

Most Nephilim choose to wear clothing that is nondescript and can easily blend in with the populace. Hoods, masks, scarves, and other manners of concealing one's face is also common to help in hiding one's identity from the Churches. As well as robes or other clothing that diminishes their height, the average Nephilim being just under 6 foot.

As a Nephilim begins to grow in power and knowledge of one's Astral-self they begin to take on more attributes that are hard to disguise. Some seem to shimmer in darkened surroundings, others leave a layer of ash wherever they step, others do not even touch the ground when they walk as their feet walk slightly above the ground.

The most noticeable feature however, are the wings that sprout from some Nephilim, these wings are not physical but rather tendrils of Astral/Divine energy that sprout forth from their bodies not quite unlike the fire that rages around them occasionally.

Racial Feats:

Heroic Tier:
Pelor's Stolen Light - Nephilim, Parentage of Pelor - You gain Wizard Cantrip Light

Paragon Tier:
Empowered Astral Radiance - Nephilim, Astral Radiance - Astral Radiance uses d10s
Burning Fury - Nephilim - Target hit with radiant power gains vulnerable radiant 5

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Interesting concept.

Not sure the name fits, though, since "nephilim" is used to refer to both a biblical race of giants and a group of fallen angels. I don't think either of those things are what you're going for (nephilim as fallen angels works better for Asmodeus and his devils in a 4e context anyway) ... may I suggest "seraphim" instead?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well, I went with Nephilim since the Nephilim while yes giants are more associated with being the children of humans and rebellious angels (which is still the case in my description).

Also, in some texts it states one of the reasons for the flood was to wipe the world clean of the Nephilim. So I think that works in well with the Gods being displeased and the Churches trying to hunt down the Nephilim.

I semi-hint at being larger then normal with the average height being just under 6 foot.

pukunui

Legend
Fallen Seraph said:
Well, I went with Nephilim since the Nephilim while yes giants are more associated with being the children of humans and rebellious angels (which is still the case in my description).

Also, in some texts it states one of the reasons for the flood was to wipe the world clean of the Nephilim. So I think that works in well with the Gods being displeased and the Churches trying to hunt down the Nephilim.

I semi-hint at being larger then normal with the average height being just under 6 foot.
Fair enough. You've certainly thought about it. I quite like what you've done with it. They're not just the "goody two shoes" mirror image of the tieflings ... and since the 4e tiefling isn't meant to be "all bad", neither does the 4e aasimar have to be "all good". Works for me. :)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
pukunui said:
Fair enough. You've certainly thought about it. I quite like what you've done with it. They're not just the "goody two shoes" mirror image of the tieflings ... and since the 4e tiefling isn't meant to be "all bad", neither does the 4e aasimar have to be "all good". Works for me. :)

Thanks :) If I'm allowed to say so, I personally like how there is a lore around them that doesn't necessarily hold up to scrutiny not because they are bad or anything. But that the way of life makes it be hard to accomplish it.

Saitou

First Post
1d8+CHA or CON as a free racial encounter power seems way, waaaay too much.
As does the +2 INIT to the party.

Other than that seems a nice counterbalance to the tiefling, and I do so love me some Nephilim.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Saitou said:
1d8+CHA or CON as a free racial encounter power seems way, waaaay too much.
As does the +2 INIT to the party.

Other than that seems a nice counterbalance to the tiefling, and I do so love me some Nephilim.

K, yeah... I am bad at mechanics, what would you recommend? I based the 1d8 + CHA or CON off the Dragonborn which is either 1d8 or 2d6 + (whatever modifier they pick).

As for the +2 Initiative would 1 be fine. I want to make it seem like the nature of hiding out and being cautious, etc. Would give them an edge and being that since they are mainly alone when they do team up I expect them to be quite greatful so would warn others of danger.

Edit: I noticed I didn't put modifier after Cha and Con, was that the issue?

Last edited:

Saitou

First Post
I'm not entirely convinced on the Dragonborn's breath weapon as written in the Pre-release Rules Compilation.

However, upon closer inspection, the synergy with paladin powers is too good to argue over some measly dice magnitudes.
I would add WIS as a choice to add to the damage, though.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Saitou said:
I'm not entirely convinced on the Dragonborn's breath weapon as written in the Pre-release Rules Compilation.

However, upon closer inspection, the synergy with paladin powers is too good to argue over some measly dice magnitudes.
I would add WIS as a choice to add to the damage, though.

Hmm... I am surprised I didn't add Wisdom... Slip up there, though... I guess justification for Wisdom would be the more Wisdom the more mental/inner power has built up, while with Charisma is it the amount of emotional outburst and Constitution amount that can be physically generated.

Once we have the final numbers for Dragonborn will probably bring it close to match, maybe slightly more power since it doesn't have the range of a Breath Attack.

What about the Initiative issue?

Quickleaf

Legend
I like the fluff of the race and think it's a worthy successor to the aasimar. Good job incorporating the robes and masks to hide their unique appearance. I'd like to know more about why the nephilim are hunted by the gods.

Since they have angelic roots, I'd give them +2 Cha instead of Int...make them more awe-inspiring than tactical masterminds (save that for the tiefling).

Maybe instead of low-light vision they could have flare-vision, allowing them to retain normal sight even in blinding light.

While +2 Streetwise is plausible, I could see them getting a bonus to Perception, Religion, or even Stealth.

>Radiant Resistance< makes sense given that "radiance" seems to be domain of the cleric.

The >Wary Eyed< ability is the same as the Warlord's >Combat Leader< feature. Compare it to the Elf's >Group Awareness< which grants +1 Perception - clearly it needs to be powered down. I also think you need something unique to reflect the Nephilim being on the lookout for servitors of an angered god.

>Light of Feet< bears some resemblance to the Halfling's >Nimble Reaction< which provides
+2 AC vs. Opportunity Attacks. I guess the idea is the Nephilim is constantly ready to dive out of the way of an incoming angel's/cleric's attack. Using the other races as a model, I'd suggest +5 saves vs. something (celestial attacks? blindness/deafness? infernal energy?).

>Astral Radiance< makes sense given their angelic heritage, but it seems like a very "loud" power for a race which is trying to keep a low profile to avoid being found out.

Remove ads