Character and Monster Tokens

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I may be remembering this completely incorrectly, but didn't someone at WotC say that DDI would allow you print monster tokens for use in home games?

I know that DDI will supposedly have monster tokens that you can use if you don't buy 3-D digital minis, but I can't remember if you can print them out or not. Anyway, WotC if you are reading this post, get on that! ;)

It would be a fantastic feature, especially if the tokens were all of the appropriate size and used the actual MM artwork.

Novem5er

First Post
I've always thought it was near criminal that WotC hasn't put out a set of monster tokens. Seriously, 3.5 was very miniatures heavy, yet the only miniatures they sell are in random boosters. It's almost as if they (gasp!) want people to buy lots and lots of their random miniatures to use in their miniature-heavy RPG!

But how many of actually do it?

So would a set of monster counters actually cut into their miniatures business that much?

Goathead

First Post
Dathalas said:
I like the circular tokens, so I was thinking about buying a 1" circle punch and gluing them to 1" washers for some heft. I was also thinking about putting a red border on the reverse side so I could flip them over when a character or creature was bloodied.

Instead of using washers I use about 1" tall pieces of dowel rods, available at home depot or craft stores. You but it in like 4ft lengths and just cut it. This helps me handle them a bit better and makes them about the size of a mini. Now for mosters i just have mine labeled A,B,C...I like the token idea and the 'flip over for bloodied' is pretty useful for 4E. You can also get larger dowel rod for larger creatures.

WyzardWhately

First Post
I think my dream-tokens would have the picture printed on a heavy ceramic disk, like a professional-grade poker-chip. Still cheaper than minis, easy to store in a tube, and, somehow, sexy. I like the idea of PCs as poker chips. I may return to my conceit of the players actually being deities, and the PCs all their unwitting pawns in the great game of divinity. "I'll wager Orselyn, a 9th level Eladrin Warlock, on the current conflict."

Sorry, spazzing out again.

Dathalas

First Post
Dragonblade: I hope you're right. I would love to have the official monster manual artwork on them.

Novem5er: Yeah, I'm sure that's what they're thinking, but I don't think it would impact their mini sales at all. Some people buy the minis and some people just don't. I like minis and always thought it was cool to use them at a con, but there's not much you can do to get me to buy a mini. Now give me a good set of tokens and I'll plunk my cash down on the barrelhead. :)

Goathead: Thanks for the dowel rod idea. That's a good idea. I'll probably make a set of numbered tokens for when I need something quick and dirty.

WyzardWhatley: Yeah, that would be cool. I would prefer a full color piece of artwork printed on plastic poker chips though. BTW, there's a company that does ceramic monster tiles. Here's the website: http://www.ochogames.com/store/products.aspx

Thanks everyone! If anyone knows of any other cool token sources, post 'em!

The Little Raven

First Post
I make tokens using the Alea Tools 1" hole punch and their 1" magnetic conversion circles. Print out the art on card paper, punch it out, and stick it to the conversion circle and voila, I've got a token that works with my magnetic markers.

Dathalas

First Post
Yeah, I saw those one day, Mourn. They look cool.

I'll probably buy the circle punch from them if I can't find one at Hobby Lobby.

I think I'm just going to hand out cards with the conditions and what their effects are instead of trying to use markers for it. Prone? Take a card. Hand it back when you stand up.

Klaus

First Post
I've always thought it was near criminal that WotC hasn't put out a set of monster tokens. Seriously, 3.5 was very miniatures heavy, yet the only miniatures they sell are in random boosters. It's almost as if they (gasp!) want people to buy lots and lots of their random miniatures to use in their miniature-heavy RPG!

But how many of actually do it?

So would a set of monster counters actually cut into their miniatures business that much?
Fiery Dragon has released print counters packs covering all creatures in the MM1, and is in the process of making the same for the MM2. You can also find all of them in digital format at DriveThruRPG.com - The Largest RPG Download Store! , as well as PDF counter packs covering adventures H1, H2, H3, P1, P2 and P3. And you can buy Counter Collection Digital 3.0, which has over 3000 unique counter images done in almost 10 years of Counter Collections, including 3E, 3.5E and 4E.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases