Whirtlestaff's Wizards' Academy Revisited, IC01

Scotley

Hero
OOC: 3 crowns for the slow boat. Any chance a rental pony or horse is cheaper? If no one else speaks up, Tylara will carry the package.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Leif said:
OOC: Thanks a lot. Now I've got that annoying little whistling tune stuck in my head!

DA-DUM, da-da-da DEET-DEET DA

(And, btw, like most rogues, I have a sorry WILL save....)

]ooc[mua ha ha ha ha! my evil plan is advancing just perfectly...Now i shall put these onions in the water to make the bridge over the river cry! ... ]/ooc[

]ic[ 3 crowns, sounds good to me. lets do the slow boat then. Capizzio then phishes out the three gold coins]/ic[

Leif

Adventurer
Boat Ride

The six wizards pay their fares and are shown onto the vessel. The Mate, a mighty sailing man, shows you where to store any baggage that you have, while the brave and sure Skipper tends to a few last details before shoving off. Soon enough, you are underway and creeping upstream on the Quail River. Your progress upstream is difficult, but steady, and the oarsmen seem to be well-adjusted to the river. The Quail River flows in what is, at this point, a fairly broad expanse of open ground, with the Forest of Nen just visible as a darker haze on the northern horizon, and the Gaskar Hills a similar distance away to the south. Adjacent to both shores of the river is good farmland that is under cultivation. Visibility is good, and the river broad and serene. Coming out on deck some to watch the vessel's progress, you can see the occasional traveler, some on the road along one side of the river, some on the other. These mostly look to be farmers hauling wains of produce, but there are also other travelers present on foot or on horse. You leave the more civilized envisons of Pembrose well-behind, and continue your travel for about two hours after sundown. The farms lessen in both number and size as you go along. Then the skipper tells you, "It's about time for us to stop for the night. Halter, get the gear ready to pitch camp." You land and make a camp consisting of one large tent that provides ample room for everyone. Then supper is prepared and everyone eats their fill. The oarsmen are quite tired, so they turn in very soon after they eat, and are soon snoring away (but not loud enough to disturb anyone). You make it clear that you all need to be awakened early enough to have time for spell study in the morning, unless you would like to do that on the boat tomorrow (which would work equally well).

OOC: Are you going to set a watch, or leave that to the crew of your vessel?

Last edited:

rossrebailey

First Post
OOC: How many hours are we talking about during the night? If we split our watch into 90-120 minutes each, will that prevent us from getting the requisite rest to refresh our spells the next day? Could be a minor shortcoming of being a company of all wizards?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
leif said:
The Mate, a mighty sailing man, shows you where to store any baggage that you have, while the brave and sure Skipper tends to a few last details before shoving off.

]ooc[ let me gues ... this is supposed to be a three hour tour, the the weather will be getting rough, right? ]/ooc[

rossrebailey said:
OOC: How many hours are we talking about during the night? If we split our watch into 90-120 minutes each, will that prevent us from getting the requisite rest to refresh our spells the next day? Could be a minor shortcoming of being a company of all wizards?

]ooc[ i believe the rules stat that as long as you get a total of 8 hours, then you will be rested enough. This issue came up at oour table top game last week, so i am reaasonable sure of the accuracy. if we all took 2 hour shifts over a 12 hoour period and intersparse with two watches by the crew, wwe should have enough time to sleep and study. Yes? ]/ooc[

renau1g

First Post
Scott DeWar said:
]ooc[ i believe the rules stat that as long as you get a total of 8 hours, then you will be rested enough. This issue came up at oour table top game last week, so i am reaasonable sure of the accuracy. if we all took 2 hour shifts over a 12 hoour period and intersparse with two watches by the crew, we should have enough time to sleep and study. Yes? ]/ooc[

OOC: Sounds good to me, Xavier will cover the first watch

Leif

Adventurer
Scott DeWar said:
let me guess ... this is supposed to be a three hour tour, the the weather will be getting rough, right?
Right npcs, wrong voyage.;)

Scott DeWar said:
If we all took 2 hour shifts over a 12 hoour period and intersparse with two watches by the crew, wwe should have enough time to sleep and study. Yes?
But you will want to make a plan for future rest periods when you won't have the crew along with you to take watches. If you make your rest period 10 hours total, every person sleeping for 8 hours and watching for 2, you will all be able to function normally the following day. So, since it's a good idea to figure out the group's S.O.P. now, why not go ahead and work out a schedule for watches that can be easily applied to other situations? Someone want to make a command decision and set the watches? If there is disagreement or a problem, the schedule can always be adjusted later.

Oh, and one more thing: the Skipper prefers to allow most of the crew to sleep the full night because rowing all day is more strenuous than spellcasting (at least according to him), so the Skipper only volunteers himself and the Mate to help out this time. But do you want to have any watch during the night when only an npc is awake?

Remove ads