Escaping the Labyrinth - A combat oriented Adventure

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, so my other games are all proceeding pretty much as planned, meaning I'm ready for something I've been wanting to do for a while - A heavily combat oriented, dungeon-crawl style game. Now, for any of you who've gamed with me as a DM before, consider how much combat I have in my roleplaying oriented games, and then realize that I'm specifying this one as COMBAT oriented. :D welcome to good'ol hack&Slash.

Now that's not saying 'don't roleplay', but don't expect to be able to do a lot of roleplaying with the beasties coming at you - 95% of what you meet will be the 'kill first, don't ask questions' kind of encounter.

Now, having said that, here's the campaign synopsis :

The *as yet undetermined number* PC's have all been taken by an epicly powerful madman/wizard and placed at the bottom of a deadly labyrinth. He will be constantly scrying on you for 'fun' and sending these scryed images out to wealthy, bored patrons of the planes... Some of you are here of your own free will, others not. The wizard promises you each a prize/boon (In addition to letting you go) should you find your way free. You can also keep anything you find.

The adventure is pretty straight forward.. at least, on the surface. It may or may not develop into an actual campaign once(if) the PC's get out.
However, because of the nature of the campaign, I will NOT be pulling my punches with this dungeon.

If you're interested, here's the character gen rules:

allowed sources: PHB, DMG, MONSTERS MANUAL, PHB2, Book of Exalted Deeds/Vile Darkness, Spell Compendium, Completes (minus psionics), Dragon Magic.
Unlike my usual take, this is a definitive list, and I'll not be allowing anything else.

All characters have 70,000 XP (lvl 12, and no you can't spend any of it) and 100,000 GP.
As far as spending money, you can have a max of 5 items (Plus weapon) that are not charged/expendable, and unlimited (within your resources) expendables.
Stats will be 5d6, reroll 1's, drop the two lowest. Use invisible castle, and under character name, use your screen name here on ENWorld.
The way to input this into invisible castle, btw, would be5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3) and then just tell it to roll 6 times.
Arrange the stats however you want into str/dex/con/int/wis/cha, then add any points for level/race/magic/etc. Please include a link to your stat rolls.
Example stat roll for Labyrinth (5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=15, 5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=15, 5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=14, 5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=16, 5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=16, 5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=12)
If you happen (like the example) to not roll any 18's, your highest stat becomes an 18.
So the example character would have stats of 18,16,15,15,14,12 to distribute as desired.

HP will be max first level, roll(reroll1's) every other level.

I will not be allowing anything that negates/lowers the need for sleep/food/air (such as rings of sustenance or create food spells), nor any form of dimensional travel (including dimension door, etc).

Expect creatures of all types, including some intelligent opponents.

Also, I will be using the 'mutually assured destruction' rule. If I think something's broken, I won't use it against you unless one of you uses it first, so feel free to be as broken(or balanced) as you want. :D

I'd like this to be a fairly quick-paced game, with character creation done within a week and periodic updates.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
I always wanted to try out a dragonfire adept :D

The MIC errated some of the items in the complete books. Should we still use the old version?

5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=16, 5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=15, 5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=14, 5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=14, 5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=16, 5d6.minroll(2).takeHighest(3)=15

[sblock=Adept]Str: 14
Dex: 15 (+1 lev 4) =16
Con: 18 (+1 lev 12) =19
Int: 16
Wis: 14
Cha: 15 (+1 lev 8) =16

Race: Silverbrow Human

Feats
H Ability Focus (Breath)
1 Draconic Aura: Energy (Cold)
3 Imp. Natural Armor
6 Extra Invocation
9 Hover
12 Extra Invocation

Skills Ranks only
Bluff 5
Concentration 15
Knowledge Arcane 5
Knowledge Dungeoneering 5
Knowledge Local 5
Listen 15
Spellcraft 10
Spot 15
Use Magic Device 15

Breath effects:
Frost Breath
Slow Breath
Thunder Breath
Enduring Breath

Invocations:
Least (2)
Endure Exposure
Magic Insight
See the Unseen
Lesser (2)
Draconic Flight
Humanoid Shape
Voracious Dispelling
Greater (1)
Chilling Fog[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
WD - FOr stats, please show what the starting stats were, and math on how they got to their final numbers (where your lvl ups went, any racial, enhancement, etc).
I won't be using MIC for anything, errata or not.
Which brings up another point - I don't use errata, excepting where it was meant to clarify, not change [Example: Time stop being erata'd to point out that the 'duration' wasn't an "ACTUAL" duration (Meaning it can't be extended/persistant, etc)]

renau1g

First Post
Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Added changes. I just realised that entangling breath is from Races of the Dragon...
I hope this is fine by you. I hoped to play him as a kind of battlefield controller.

Jemal

Adventurer
sorry WD, but unlike my other games, the list of allowable sources is definitive.

renau1g - I included the MM in case people wanted to play monsters. Long as its got a level adjustment, it's fair game.
As for the getting lost part, don't worry about that. The 'labyrinth' isn't so much a maze as a "choose your doom". All paths eventually lead out, some take longer, and some are more dangerous, but it's designed so that you will continue progressing towards the goal.. assuming you don't succumb to the challenges in your path.

renau1g

First Post
My first stab at the Troll Fighter - I still need to add the consumables (about 5K worth)

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Rhokkan
[B]Class:[/B] Giant 6 / Fighter 1	[b]Starting Level[/b]: 12
[B]Race:[/B] Troll (LA+5)
[B]Region of Origin:[/b] The Bogs
[B]Size:[/B] Large
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] CN

[B]Str:[/B] 30 +10 		[B]Level:[/B] 7		[B]XP[/B]: 70,000
[B]Dex:[/B] 20 +5 		[B]BAB:[/B] +5		[B]HP:[/B] 107 (5 x 1d8+9; 1d10+9)
[B]Con:[/B] 28 +9 		[B]Grapple:[/B] +19	
[B]Int:[/B] 10 +0 		[B]Speed:[/B] 30'	[B]Stat Increases:[/b] 1 - Wisdom
[B]Wis:[/B] 14 +2 		[B]Init:[/B] +5		
[B]Cha:[/B]  9 -1 		[B]ACP:[/B] -1		

[B]	Base	Armor	Shld	Dex	Size	Nat	Misc	Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]	10	+7	+4	+5	-1	+5	+0	30
[B]Touch:[/B]	25	[B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14

[B]Spell Res:[/B] None
[B]Dmg Red:[/B] None

[B]	Total	Base	Mod	Misc[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]	+16	+7	+9	--
[B]Ref:[/B]	+7	+2	+5	+X
[B]Will:[/B]	+6	+2	+2	+2
[B]Notes:[/B]
Base Stats: 18 STR, 16 DEX, 16 CON, 14 INT, 15 WIS, 13 CHA

[B]Weapon			Attack	Damage	Critical	Range[/B]
+1 Greatsword of Speed	+16/+16	3d6+16	19-20/x2	
Bite			+14	1d8+5	20/x2	

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Giant

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
Troll:
+12 strength, +4 dexterity, +12 constitution, -4 intelligence, -2 wisdom, -4 charisma (already included)
Monstrous humanoid type.
Darkvision 60 feet
Level adjustment +5
Natural weapons -- 2 claws (1d6) and 1 bite (1d6)
Rend
Regeneration 5
Scent
Normal damage from fire and acid

[B]Feats: [/B] 
Iron Will  
Power Attack 
Improved Natural Attack (Bite) (MMI) (Increases to 1d8 from 1d6)
Multiattack (MMI) (Drops secondary attack penalty to -2)

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 20	[B]Max Ranks:[/B] 10/5
[B]Skills		Total	Ranks	Mod 	Misc[/B]
Listen		11	9	2	--
Jump		12	2	10		
Spot		11	9	2	--

[B]Equipment:			Cost		Weight[/B]
+3 Mithril Breastplate 		13,350gp	15lb        
+2 Animated Heavy Steel Shield	16,170gp	15lb
Ring of Blinking	                          27,000gp	0lb
Cloak of Resistance +3		9,000gp		1lb
+1 Large Greatsword of Speed	32,350gp	8lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]39lb	[B]Money:[/B] 2,130gp Xsp Xcp

[B]		Lgt	Med	Hvy	Lift	Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]	1064	2128	3200	6400	16000

[B]Age:[/B] 
[B]Height:[/B] 
[B]Weight:[/B] 
[B]Eyes:[/B] 
[B]Hair:[/B] 
[B]Skin:[/B]

[sblock=HP Rolls]
Giant HP (1d8=3, 1d8=4, 1d8=5, 1d8=1, 1d8=4, 1d8=8)
Giant HP (Re-Roll the 1), Fighter HP (1d8=8, 1d10=1)
Fighter HP (Re-Roll the 1) (1d10=7)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
WD - both fine by me.

Renau1g - please indicate what your base stats were so I know where the rolls ended up.
As far as your HP goes, there are two mistakes.
First, you get max hp at first lvl/hd, so that first 3 you rolled on your giant HD is actually an 8. So your HP should be 107
Secondly you have 1d20 as one of your HD on the sheet (though I'm certain this is merely a typo, as you did roll it as a d10 ;) )

I'm also going to say no to the energy resistance fire & acid. I don't like damage-immune characters.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases