Escaping the Labyrinth - A combat oriented Adventure

Ruined

Explorer
I'll ditch the fighter multiclass lvl and go straight monk. It was more from my original wpn feats selections, and isn't really needed for the build I want anyway.

Want me to reroll that level of hp, or is it fine to keep my whopping roll of 3? =)

kinem

Adventurer
Jemal said:
Kinem -
First, Chasuble of Fell Power takes up space on the body as an amulet according to Complete Arcane, though it's more of a robe(hmm, weird).. Either way, it wouldn't take the armour slot, anymore than robes or a vest do.
Your shortchanging yourself on attacks.
Your +1 dagger should be hitting at + 18[9 BAB+8Dex+1 magic=18.], and your Eldritch Blast at +17(touch).[9 BAB+8Dex=17.]

Jemal, I hope your finger is better.

Crystalkeep has the chasuble taking the body slot. I suspect this was something changed in the errata (which cystalkeep takes into account) and the 30' range it gives for Eldritch Blast might be as well.

According to the SRD, a robe does take the armor (body) slot. A vest does not, nor does a cloak.

I will assume for puposes of this game that the chasuble is more of a scarf (taking the neck slot) rather than a robe.

I had gloves of dex+4 at first but swapped those out to increase my AC. Dex should be 22. My listed attack bonus is correct at +17 for the dagger (+1 size, +9 BAB, +6 dex, +1 enhancement).

Jemal

Adventurer
Kinem - Thx for the concern. I just got back from the doctor actually and he wrapped me up tight and said not to use my left hand for 48 hours (Apparently it's worse than I originally thought), so I'll be one-handed typing till Friday (Not like that you dirty minded people!!).

Anyways, onto the game stuff:
I don't use Erata, though I do see why in the case of the Chasuble. I'll let you take it as a scarf.f. As far as robe's taking up the armour slot, I'd never noticed that till you pointed it out. Heh, learn something new every day, I guess.

As far as rules go, I will not be using crystalkeep. I prefer the rules as written.
Also, as stated in my previous post, please repost your character when you're done the current round of updates, instead of editing.

Ruined - Your choice on the HP. keep it or reroll it (It's under what the new dice's avg roll would be, so it'd probably be in your best interest to reroll, but a max dif of 5 hp isn't all that much)

WD - Twilight's OK. As far as the wands, lesser restoration IS a paladin spell, however wand costs are spl lvl X cst lvl X 750. Minimum level a paladin needs to be to cast a 1st lvl spell is 8th. caster level for Pallies is half paladin level, so 4. 1X4X750=3000. Huh, doing the math again it would appear that we were both wrong. It would cost 4,500 as a clerical wand, 3,000 as a paladin wand.
Using Magic Device to activate a Staff uses the 'Emulate class feature' part of UMD. (you emulate a classes Caster Level). Your effective level in the class is your UMD check - 20. So to cast fireball from a staff you'd need a minimum of a 25 to use it at 5th lvl (Minimum to cast the spell), and higher roll would mean better caster level.

Redclaw - Character look good. just need finalizations, but I think we're ready for a Rogue's Gallery.

Walking Dad

First Post
Jemal said:
WD - Twilight's OK. As far as the wands, lesser restoration IS a paladin spell, however wand costs are spl lvl X cst lvl X 750. Minimum level a paladin needs to be to cast a 1st lvl spell is 8th. caster level for Pallies is half paladin level, so 4. 1X4X750=3000. Huh, doing the math again it would appear that we were both wrong. It would cost 4,500 as a clerical wand, 3,000 as a paladin wand.
Using Magic Device to activate a Staff uses the 'Emulate class feature' part of UMD. (you emulate a classes Caster Level). Your effective level in the class is your UMD check - 20. So to cast fireball from a staff you'd need a minimum of a 25 to use it at 5th lvl (Minimum to cast the spell), and higher roll would mean better caster level.

Actually, a Paladin with a Wis of at least 12 gets first level spells at level 4 (=CL2).

[sblock= Staff use]
Activation
Staffs use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a staff is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a staff.) To activate a staff, a character must hold it forth in at least one hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures).

Spell Trigger
Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Same as for a wand.

Unlike with other sorts of magic items, the wielder can use his caster level when activating the power of a staff if it’s higher than the caster level of the staff.
Oops, found the rule in the Use Magic Device Section:
Use a Wand
Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill also applies to other spell trigger magic items, such as staffs.
[/sblock]
Both Staff of Healing and Evoction sounds good.

Last edited:

Ruined

Explorer
Okay, hopefully this is all correct and ready to go. Next stop, background, description.

[sblock]
Takk CR 11 (12)
Male Aasimar Monk 11
LN Medium humanoid
Init +4; Senses Listen +8, Spot +12; Darkvision 60ft.
Defenses: Resistance Acid 5, Cold 5, Electricity 5
Languages: Celestial, Common, Dwarven
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 22, touch 22, flat-footed 16 [10 + 6(Dex) + 3(Wis) + 2 (Monk) +1 (Belt)]
hp 98 (11 HD) [8 (aasimar) + 54 (monk) + 36 (con) ]
Monk levels: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1589043/ , http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1590006/
Fort +9, Ref +13, Will +10 (+12 vs. enchant)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares)
Melee: +2 Ki Focus Spiked Chain +16/+11 (2d4+5 /x2) Reach 10 ft. Lawful
+1 Shock Quarterstaff +10/+5 (1d6+3 /x2) + (1d8 sonic on crit)
+1 Shock Quarterstaff (flurry) +10/+10/+10/+5 (1d6+3 /x2) +(1d8 sonic on crit)
Unarmed +14/+9 (2d6+2) Magic, Lawful.
Unarmed (Flurry) +14/+14/+14/+9 (2d6+2) Magic, Lawful
Base Atk +8; Grp +14
Atk Options: Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip, Improved Grapple, Stunning Fist (DC 18, 10/day)
Special Actions: Slow Fall 50ft.

Abilities
Str 14
Dex 23 [18 (base) + 1 (raise) + 4 (gloves)]
Con 16 [15 (base) + 1 (raise)]
Int 13
Wis 16 [14 (base) + 1 (racial)]
Cha 15 [13 (base) + 1 (racial)]

Class abilities: AC Bonus, Diamond Body, Fast Move, Improved Evasion, Improved Unarmed Damage, Ki Strike (Magic, Lawful), Purity of Body, Slow Fall 50ft., Still Mind, Wholeness of Body,
Racial abilities: Darkvision 60ft., Daylight (1/day), Resistance Acid, Cold, Electricity 5

Feats:
1 Improved Grapple
1 Stunning Fist [Monk]
2 Combat Reflexes [Monk]
3 Exotic Wpn Spiked Chain
6 Weapon Finesse
6 Improved Trip [Monk]
9 Flying Kick

Skills: (ranks / current bonus)
Balance 8 / +16
Climb 8 / +10
Diplomacy 4 / +6
Escape Artist 2 / +8
Heal 2 / +5
Hide 3 / +9
Jump 3 / +19 (+12 from 60 move)
Listen 5 / +8
Move Silently 3 / +9
Sense Motive 4 / +6
Spot 8 / +11
Swim 4 / +6
Tumble 14 / +20

Equipment:
+2 Spiked Chain, ki focus (18,305)
+1 Quarterstaff, shock (8,600)
Monk's Belt (13,000)
Ring of Freedom of Movement (40,000)
Gloves of Dexterity +4 (16,000)
Potion - Invisibility (300)
Potion - Cure Serious x3 (2,250)
Potion - Fly (750)

Monk's Outfit (5)
Trail Rations (6 days) (3)
Waterskin (1)
Backpack (2)
Rope, Silk (10)
Shuriken (10) (2)
Healer's Kit (50)

Total Spent 99,278 gp
Gold remaining: 722 gp
[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
Allright, everything's looking good, I'll be starting up an IC thread after I catch up on all my games. Please ensure your character is in the Rogue's gallery. Any character not in there when I start will NOT be included in the opening post and will miss the first combat, being written in afterwards.

renau1g

First Post
I'm just looking at the RG & notice a distinct lack of healing...I guess I'm glad I can heal myself (just don't use fire or acid Jemal ;))

Remove ads