Rhun's Greyhawk ALPHA Campaign (ToEE) - Part II - CLOSED!

Rhun

First Post
COMBAT - Round 6, Complete

Round 5 updated above

Trevor rallies his will, and breaks free of the spell that holds him paralyzed.

Kurt hears Ragnok's cry and instantly recognises that the dwarf is in trouble. "VERDIS! THE CLERIC!" the champion on Heironeous yells as leaves the guard facing him to Dara and risks himself to bolster Ragnok. The guard takes a swipe at the cleric as he moves, but his blade is a foot or more off target. Kurt pours healing power into the dwarf, bringing him a slight reprieve from his wounds.

The dark cleric of the earth, none to please with the odds, and the success that your company has had in dispatching his troops, moves away from the melee; Ragnok takes advantage of the opening, but his axe catches nothing but air. Speaking as he moves, the caster once again calls upon the power of Elemental Earth, and sharp stone spikes sprout from the ground, covering the entire area under your feet, and impeding any chance of reaching the evil cleric. You all realize that getting through the area will be tricky...

[sblock=For Dara, Kurt and Verdis]
You all recognize the spell as Spike Stones. House Rule: If you make 5' steps through the area each round, you can get through it without suffering damage. Also, since it was cast underfoot, I'm ruling that the spell is visible, even though it generally takes a rogue to find it.
[/sblock]

Ragnok growls and strikes his gnoll opponent with Norryjar, and the creature joins the pile of broken bodies now littering the area.

The remaining human guard, caught in the high priest's spell and realizing he can't run, launches a last ditch attack on Dara, determined to take someone with him. Despite the barbarian's woman's rage, though, the man's blade fails to score a hit.

Taking his cue, the warlock targets the Cleric with an Eldritch Blast. In rare form, though, the warlock's aim is off and the blast misses its target.

Dara turns her attention to the nearest foe and swings her mighty blade into his direction. Her mighty blow is deflected by her opponent's shielf, though she does succeed in taking a chunk of wood out of the ward.

The closest foes all down, Coraine takes the opportunity to climb to his feet. The paladin begins slowly and carefully picking his way through the area to reach the enemy cleric.

19 - Trevor: [HELD] full round action to break hold person, save 18 (success)
19 - Kurt: move; drop protection from evil for cure light wounds boosted w/ sacred healing healing 9 points
18 - Cleric: move, provoke AoO from Ragnok, cast Spike Stones
17 - Ragnok: AoO vrs "C" 15 (failure), waraxe vrs g4 20 (success), damage 8
17 - Guard "3": AoO vrs Kurt 10 (failure); longsword vrs Dara 11 (failure)
16 - Gnoll "g4":
10 - Verdis: eldritch blast vrs Cleric 11 (failure)
07 - Dara: 2 pt power attack vrs "3" 14 (failure)
04 - Coraine: stand up, 5' step

PC Status
Dara 17/37 (09/29), rage round 4
Verdis 13/22
Trevor 21/30
Kurt 13/31
Coraine 20/36
Ragnok 19/41

[sblock=Opponent Status - Players Don't Look!]
Guard 1 -12
Guard 2 -14
- Guard 3 -1
Guard 4 -18
Guard 5 -3
- Guard 6 -13
Acolyte a -15
Acolyte b -18
Acolyte c -21
Acolyte d -25
gnoll 1
gnoll 2 -12
gnoll 3 -15
gnoll 4 -13
Bugbear 1 -19
bugbear 2 -24
- Cleric -12
Underpriest -14, spiritual weapon r 3 of 4, hold person round 1 of 4
[/sblock]

- Battle map updated as of end of round. Highlighted area represents Spiked Stone territory. -

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Trevor Champlaign -- Desired Defiance!

In his mind, Trevor summons all of his will and fights against the evil influence with all of his might, Trevor slowly [again, in his mind only] -- ever so slowly -- glacially almost, raises his right hand and makes the rudest gesture that he knows at the evil priest. Then reality rears its ugly head once again, and Trevor realizes that he was only imagining what he wishes he could do. He remains held fast by the evil spell. :(

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Round 5 Summary

[sblock=Round 5 Summary - For Reference]
Round 4 updated above

Trevor rallies his mind against the effects of the underpriest's insidious spell, but to no avail. He is unable to shake off the effects, and remains paralyzed.

Kurt fears the worst when he sees the way Coraine falls, but quickly realises than the paladin is okay, if not in the best situation. The Underpriest is still firmly in Kurt's sight for some more of the The Treatment. Positioning himself so that he can both attack the Underpriest and protect Trevor, Kurt thrusts his longsword at the wounded man once more.

The high priest moves around his troops, whispering the words to a spell, and reaching out to touch Ragnok. Unholy power rushes into the dwarves body, causing him to cry out in pain as his body spasms from the agony. Ragnok growls through his clenched teeth and returns the pain, opening a bloody gash across the cleric's arm with Norryjar. Ragnok's strike leaves him open, though, and a moment later the gnoll strikes him with his axe, leaving another bloody wound on the tough dwarf.

One of the guards strikes another glancing blow against Kurt, and the priest of Hieroneous is certainly beginning to feel the accumulation of his wounds.

The guard towering above the prone Coraine strikes the paladin again, another minor wound.

Verdis steps further into the room for a better angle, and sends and eldritch blast crackling into another guard. The guard cries out and falls.

Dara leaps over the fallen bodies and towards the Underpriest now, wielding her falchion with grim determination as she hits the battle line. Her blad strikes true, and in her fury cuts the man from shoulder deep down into chest cavity, slaying him instantly! As he dies, his spiritual weapon winks out of existence.

Knowing that he risks being struck should he stand up with the enemy so close, Coraine rolls over and whips his axe up from where he lay on his back, sinking it into the man's groin. The guard utters a short cry of pain, and then collapses as blood and viscera pour from his abdomen.

19 - Trevor: [HELD] full round action to break hold person, save 8 (failure)
19 - Kurt: 5' step; longsword vrs"U" 10 (failure)
18 - Cleric: move; cast cause serious wounds defensively 23 (success), touch attack vrs Ragnok 21 (success), damage 24
17 - Ragnok: waraxe vrs cleric "20" (threat), confirm 15 (failure), damage 11
17 - Guard "3": longsword vrs Kurt 21 (success), damage 6
16 - Gnoll "g4": battleaxe vrs Ragnok 22 (success), damage 7
11 - Guard "6": longsword vrs Coraine 20 (success), damage 3
10 - Verdis: eldrtich blast vrs "6" 24 (success), damage 9
07 - Dara: 2 pt power attack vrs "U" 26 (threat), confirm 23 (critical), damage 28
04 - Coraine: longsword vrs 24 (threat), confirm 18 (success), damage 18
02 - Guard "5":
02 - Underpriest:
02 - Fist:

PC Status
Dara 17/37 (09/29), rage round 3
Verdis 13/22
Trevor 21/30
Kurt 13/31
Coraine 20/36
Ragnok 10/41

[sblock=Opponent Status - Players Don't Look!]
Guard 1 -12
Guard 2 -14
- Guard 3 -1
Guard 4 -18
- Guard 5 -3
- Guard 6 -13
Acolyte a -15
Acolyte b -18
Acolyte c -21
Acolyte d -25
gnoll 1
gnoll 2 -12
gnoll 3 -15
- gnoll 4 -5
Bugbear 1 -19
bugbear 2 -24
- Cleric -12
- Underpriest -14, spiritual weapon r 3 of 4, hold person round 1 of 4
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Leif said:
OOC: So all Trevor can do this round is break free from the Hold Person spell?

That is correct, per the spell...however, I am trying to find a rule regarding spell duration and the death of the caster.

Legildur

First Post
Kurt hears Ragnok's cry and instantly recognises that the dwarf is in trouble. "VERDIS! THE CLERIC!" the champion on Heironeous yells as leaves the guard facing him to Dara and risks himself to bolster Ragnok.
ooc: 10ft move to AE27 via AE28 (AOO from "3" for not using Withdraw action) and spontaneously casts Cure Light Wounds (invokes Sacred Healing ability as free action (Turn Undead use) to boost healing and sacrifices Protection from Evil) on Ragnok (cure 1d8+6 hit points)

Leif

Adventurer
Rhun said:
I am trying to find a rule regarding spell duration and the death of the caster.

OOC: Keep looking please, because I may be wrong about this, but I believe that the death of the caster has no effect upon a spell already in place.

Legildur

First Post
Rhun said:
That is correct, per the spell...however, I am trying to find a rule regarding spell duration and the death of the caster.
I don't think there is one. Maybe there was in an earlier edition.... earlier than 3.0 that is.

Of course, Kurt could have used his Resurgence spell to give Trevor a new save immediately (as if he hadn't failed the initial save), but Kurt was kind of busy dealing with the mess that Trevor has got us into. ;)

And Rhun, you have the summary description for Kurt's action listed against the Evil Cleric

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Legildur said:
Of course, Kurt could have used his Resurgence spell to give Trevor a new save immediately (as if he hadn't failed the initial save), but Kurt was kind of busy dealing with the mess that Trevor has got us into. ;)
OOC: Touche, Sir! Thou hast pricked me to the heart! :D ("A touch! A touch, I do confess it ..... I fear I breathe my last." - Willie the Bard)

Last edited:

Remove ads