Keep on the Shadowfell preview

Shroomy

Adventurer
thalmin said:
Sorry, I have not yet spotted the room, but I haven't had much chance to read the adventure. Danged customers keep coming in and interrupting me. ;)

Ignore them! Half-crazed obsessives demand answers! :)

Scalding

First Post
thalmin said:
Danged customers keep coming in and interrupting me.

I read that as "Deranged customers..."

If I lived 1/20th as far from you as I do, I'd be a deranged customer in, interrupting you...

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Apologies, thalmin, but I'm going to have to reiterate the burning question that's most important to me, personally...

Is the (godawful and annoying, imo) Expedition adventures "Tactical Encounter" design format used for KotS?

Shado

Explorer
Verys Arkon said:
Those both add up to 32 using the point-buy Totoro came up with :) (Method B in PrRC).

Or an even 30 with normal point-buy.

I'm going on record now that 'Method B' is not the new point buy, and the XP characters were just flawed.

EDIT: I'll go farther out on a limb here and say point-buy hasn't changed, but the suggested point allowance will be 30.

pukunui

Legend
thalmin said:
Sorry, I have not yet spotted the room, but I haven't had much chance to read the adventure. Danged customers keep coming in and interrupting me. ;)
That's all right. If you do happen to spot it, would you be so kind as to let me know? I don't know why it's important to me. I just want to know.

Is the (godawful and annoying, imo) Expedition adventures "Tactical Encounter" design format used for KotS?
I'm sure it has been said somewhere that they've modified the format to make it more user-friendly ... for instance, this time everything you need really is in one place instead of the fluff being in one section and all the tactical encounters being in another. I found that to be particularly aggravating when trying to run Barrow of the Forgotten King.

jaldaen

First Post
thalmin said:
Dragonborn Str 18, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 16
Rogue Str 12, Con 13, Dex 18, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 16

Thanks so with these abilities here's what I'm thinking...

Dragon Breath Encounter Power - Minor Action - Blast 3 - Attack Strength vs Reflex - 1d6 + Constitution modifier damage.

Rogue Daily: Trick Strike
Through a series of feints and lures, you maneuver your foe right where you want him.
Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee
or Ranged weapon
Target one creature
Attack Dexterity or Strength* vs AC (normal)
Hit 3[W] + Dexterity or Strength* modifier damage, and you can slide the target 1 square.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, each time you hit the target you can slide it 1 square.

*I chose Dexterity or Stength because unlike the other Rogue powers because it does not have the weapon requirement of the other rogue powers we've seen.

FireLance

Legend
Derren said:
Battle Tactic 101: The defender must be as far away from the enemy as possible...

Care to explain why you think that this is a good fix Hong? Because many people complained that the "run away" paladin was not very defenderish and the new rules don't fix that and it is still easily exploited by having a second defender in the group.
Let's not confuse the problems here. The "run away" paladin problem was a concern because it was too effective a tactic - the marked monster couldn't attack the paladin and would take damage if it attacked anyone else. This goes some way towards fixing the problem since the paladin can't actually "run away". He has to make at least a ranged attack against the target once per round. He can still avoid engaging opponents that only have melee attacks, but opponents with ranged attacks can attack him back.

In addition, the paladin defends by drawing attacks, not with "stickiness" like a fighter. A paladin doesn't need to be close to the enemy to defend. His challenge still works against opponents that could attack the party while remaining out of melee reach, e.g. an archer on a ledge or a balcony, by drawing such ranged attacks away from the other characters.

Remove ads