Keep on the Shadowfell preview

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Rechan said:
But I think Shielding Smite or the Temp-HP smite are better than "+1 to hit enemy".

It's a real lack-luster At Will compared to the other options.
But Shielding Smite is an Encounter Power. And we don't know if the HP from multiple Bolstering Strikes stack.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
But I think Shielding Smite or the Temp-HP smite are better than "+1 to hit enemy".

It's a real lack-luster At Will compared to the other options.

Perhaps. But I think it might shine in that "group optimization" way that 4e seems to love. You get your friends to push the minions into you, then you lay down the decisive blow against their boss. Also, this is an offensive ability, one of the few we've seen. Temp HP and shielding are good defensive abilities, but a purely defensive paladin might not be able to do much more than annoy the enemies and whiff -- not unlike the 3e monk. :)

Sojorn

First Post
thalmin said:
But Shielding Smite is an Encounter Power. And we don't know if the HP from multiple Bolstering Strikes stack.
It doesn't.

Don't ask me to pull a source out, I don't know if I can, but I'm certain I've seen that exact question and the answer is temp HP doesn't stack.

Let me see if I can find the source anyway though

Rechan

Adventurer
thalmin said:
Huh. Thought it was an At-Will.

And since the Paladin doesn't have the Bolstering strike, I guess there's no rules in there about whether temp HPs stack. Dangit. HURRY UP JUNE.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
It was stated by a dev somewhere that temp hp don't stack. I would link a source, but I have no idea where I saw it.

Rechan

Adventurer
Kamikaze Midget said:
Perhaps. But I think it might shine in that "group optimization" way that 4e seems to love. You get your friends to push the minions into you, then you lay down the decisive blow against their boss. Also, this is an offensive ability, one of the few we've seen. Temp HP and shielding are good defensive abilities, but a purely defensive paladin might not be able to do much more than annoy the enemies and whiff -- not unlike the 3e monk. :)
I think the Pally's Challenge and "On Pain of Death" are really nice offensive things. It at least makes all that defense worth it when you're forcing the guy to attack you - the monk was annoying but the enemy could just ignore him.

And I really like that Radiant smite. mmm radiant damage.

Rechan

Adventurer
Martyr's Blessing Paladin Utility 2
You step into an attack made against an adjacent ally
Daily Divine
Immediate Interrupt Close burst 1
Trigger: An adjacent ally is hit by a melee or a ranged attack
Effect: You are hit by the attack instead

I wonder if this works for area attacks. And if so, would a secondary effect (like being knocked prone) effect the pally, no the original target?

Sojorn

First Post
Rechan said:
I wonder if this works for area attacks. And if so, would a secondary effect (like being knocked prone) effect the pally, no the original target?
Doesn't. The ranged or melee wording is to specifically exclude area attacks.

I would assume it makes the paladin the new target of the attack and he takes all the effects instead. Including being slid around, knocked prone, slowed, stunned, thrown, set on fire, drowned, partially turned to stone, melted, kicked in the jimmies, or otherwise negatively affected.

Edit: Just to clarify, it does work against ranged attacks with multiple targets, just not bursts or blasts.

Rechan

Adventurer
Sojorn said:
Doesn't. The ranged or melee wording is to specifically exclude area attacks.

I would assume it makes the paladin the new target of the attack and he takes all the effects instead. Including... kicked in the jimmies...
Since this is the Dragonborn paladin, are we sure male DB have jimmies? The females have boobs, but maybe like other reptiles, the males' jimmies are internal.

DB: Immune to junk kicking.

Remove ads