TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Indeed, and that was something that I as a novice player really appreciated :) As I grew older and actually began reading Dante it always made me a bit nostalgic for the MM descriptions of devils.

Along those lines, was there any reason for switching the ice-cold 9th circle of Dante's Inferno for the frozen (IIRC) 8th plane of the nine hells?

Gray Mouser
:heh:

Mere poetic license, as a frozen last layer did not strike me as appropriate for a S&S model of the hells.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
francisca said:
I admire your restraint in the matter. :)
Although I seldom do, on occasion I manage to follow Thumper's (or was it FLower's?)advice: "Of you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

:lol:
Gary

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
Even though the zine was created by me, I have not been asked to do any such thing. The fact is that I am dubious about being able to offer anything polite and constructive.

understandable. as a purely business decision, it probably seems to make sense. as a way to reach out to fans and longtime subscribers... well, it leaves something to be desired.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
As for Egyptian deities at odds, the big dustup was between Ra and Osiris when Ra was taking Set's sind in regards who should rule earth, Horus son of Osiris or Set. Osiris onfrmed Ra that he had "many savage faced messengers" to assert his claim, and Ra backed down.
Jasin was actually referring to the backstory of the television series Stargate SG-1, but I for one will forgive you for not recognising it. ;)

francisca

I got dice older than you.
BOZ said:
understandable. as a purely business decision, it probably seems to make sense. as a way to reach out to fans and longtime subscribers... well, it leaves something to be desired.
If Gary wrote an article for Dragon, it would be the first one I've picked up in 2 or 3 years.

Oh, and Hi BOZ!!!

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Gary, I know you weren't a huge fan of the Dragonlance world, but I was pretty surprised that WOTC would pull the that license away from the original creators, Hickman and Weiss(had to be a punch in the gut for them). This made me wonder that if they were willing to pull a license from those that had worked on it for a good portion of their lives, how far is WOTC from pulling the OGL?

And so onto my question. I'm a big fan of LA and C and C. How attached are these products to the OGL (C and C more than LA, obviously), and if WOTC pulls the OGL, what changes will Troll Lords have to make to these works to keep them running? From my understanding, C and C has been slowly rising in popularity for those wanting a rules-light fantasy RPG, so I would hope it would be to stay.

jasin

Explorer
mhacdebhandia said:
Jasin was actually referring to the backstory of the television series Stargate SG-1, but I for one will forgive you for not recognising it. ;)
Actually, no. I was just referring to the general motif of Apophis vs. Ra in Egyptian mythology, which came to my mind as I was thinking about the solar vs. planetar thing for that game. Ra battles Apophis, Apollo battles Python, the solar battles the planetar. The sun deity against the earth serpent.

gideon_thorne

First Post
Deuce Traveler said:
Gary, I know you weren't a huge fan of the Dragonlance world, but I was pretty surprised that WOTC would pull the that license away from the original creators, Hickman and Weiss(had to be a punch in the gut for them). This made me wonder that if they were willing to pull a license from those that had worked on it for a good portion of their lives, how far is WOTC from pulling the OGL?

And so onto my question. I'm a big fan of LA and C and C. How attached are these products to the OGL (C and C more than LA, obviously), and if WOTC pulls the OGL, what changes will Troll Lords have to make to these works to keep them running? From my understanding, C and C has been slowly rising in popularity for those wanting a rules-light fantasy RPG, so I would hope it would be to stay.

The OGL cant be revoked. Its out there for good. Lejendary Adventure is not an OGL game, its an independent system, so even if revoking the OGL was possible, it would have no effect on LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases