TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tx7321

First Post
Gary, long time reader, first time poster.

I can't help but get depressed over this news about Rob leaving (why I'm posting). C&C has been a God-send to us "old schoolers" now with Rob gone, it'll be that much more difficult.
Oh well, take heart...it may still work out for the best. :D

I noticed your liking of old school artists from the 1E era: "That is all up to the Trolls, but I for one much prefer artwork more along the lines of that done by Trampier, Elmore, and Easley. Sadly, Tramp is no longer doing illustrations." I share your love of these artists and the newer artists as well.

Have you taken a look at the latest version of OSRIC.03, its cover reminds me of the late 70s, though more impressionistic. I see you as the guy with his fingers in the treasure chest ready to split ;) . Here is the link: http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/

Last edited:

RFisher

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
After much thought I simply accepted Rob's initial resignation from [...] the expanded DMing anecdote collection as there is no common ground from which to work.

Oh! This is sad news indeed!

Are there plans to go ahead with publishing your own anecdotes, or should I start acquiring the issues of Dragon with them that I missed?

Sanguinemetaldawn

First Post
Horseman's vs Footman's

Greetings again Col.

Anyway, I have a question about weapon esoterica that has been bugging me, and hopefully I can draw on your historical expertise.

The question has to do specifically with Horseman's weapons vs Footman's weapons (maces, flails, etc).

Now, my understanding has been that Horseman's weapons were typically smaller/lighter than the footman's weapon of the type, the reasons being that generally only one hand was free (the other hand gripping the reins/shield/etc.) and greater control was necessary in order to avoid cracking one's mount on the head.

This seems to be corroborated by your damage listings for the weapons in 1st Ed. D&D

I recently read (can't remember where) that horseman's weapons needed to be longer, that a greater reach was required since they were striking from atop horseback. Although I don't remember the site, I remember it being reputable.

And both positions sound reasonable, which creates a bit of a tension in terms of developing weapons useful for attacking from horseback.

Any light you can shed on this? Would certainly be appreciated.

BluSponge

Explorer
JohnRTroy said:
Someday I wish somebody would bring back Epic of Aerth. That product is the only one you can't get a PDF of from Paizo (Mythus and Mythus Magick are available for $4.00 each), and it's a great setting, with minimal game rules involved in the work and a lot of hints regarding creatures and it would make for a great setting for just about any game--LA, any edition of D&D, etc.

No kidding, John. I would loved to have seen where that world would have gone. I have a love hate relationship with that setting. Love in that it calls to me to play around with every few months. Hate because everytime I read it I can't believe the derth of real plot hooks in it. There must be something to it, though, else I wouldn't have an almost viceral urge to use it as the basis of a campaign. About 2-3 suppliments would have cured that problem completely!

When my friend decided to run the Necropolis adventure in Greyhawk as opposed to using Aerth, I was quite disapoointed. :(

Tom

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
On the topic of "unexpected ways your creation of D&D has effected the world".

There is a certain Army (US) trainer of a certain type of Military Intelligence personnel, who is an avid gamer. She was told to come up with a way to effectively train personnel to deal with a variety of situations in the field. Guess what she used as her "model" for working up the roleplays and determining success? She's getting some nice accolades for coming up with it, too. Its been in use for over 3 years now.

Reports of noticeably better results in the field as well.
I am flagging this URL for my son Luke who is an iffucer in the military.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy tx7321,

Have no fear. The castle & dungeons project will go forward. the 24 detail modules of 64 pages fot the Town of Yggsburgh and environs are nearly completed now, so in a short time I can turn my attention to rounding up another team of dungeon developers :lol:

Now I need to get on with my busy schedule...some "semi=retirement" :]

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
Oh! This is sad news indeed!

Are there plans to go ahead with publishing your own anecdotes, or should I start acquiring the issues of Dragon with them that I missed?
That is a back burner project, but I have my columns set for a book ms. and will add new and older material as time permits. It will be a pretty slim volume, though, as I had asked rob to write sufficient anecdotes so as to have his work constitute about half the book.

If you don't moind waiting, the work will eventually see print...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sanguinemetaldawn said:
Greetings again Col.

Anyway, I have a question about weapon esoterica that has been bugging me, and hopefully I can draw on your historical expertise.

The question has to do specifically with Horseman's weapons vs Footman's weapons (maces, flails, etc).

Now, my understanding has been that Horseman's weapons were typically smaller/lighter than the footman's weapon of the type, the reasons being that generally only one hand was free (the other hand gripping the reins/shield/etc.) and greater control was necessary in order to avoid cracking one's mount on the head.

This seems to be corroborated by your damage listings for the weapons in 1st Ed. D&D

I recently read (can't remember where) that horseman's weapons needed to be longer, that a greater reach was required since they were striking from atop horseback. Although I don't remember the site, I remember it being reputable.

And both positions sound reasonable, which creates a bit of a tension in terms of developing weapons useful for attacking from horseback.

Any light you can shed on this? Would certainly be appreciated.
Hmmm...

I have no idea who asserted that horsemen's weapons had to be longer than those of footmen. To the best of my knowledge that is simply not the case. Horsemen used swords no longer than most footmen, shorter than many such as the hand-and-a-half and two-handed sword. Horsemen's lances were c.14' long, while long spears were 16' in length, pikes from 18' to 21'. A horsman's mace as well as war hammer and flail are considerably shorter than the large ones used two-handed by footmen.

In point of fact, horsemen generally fought other horsemen or rode down footmen not able to keep them at bay.

Cheers,
Gary

trollwad

First Post
rob leaving the project

I guess I dont really understand your comment about "different creative ideas and marketing ideas" vis a vis you and rob. What difference would rob's ideas on marketing have on this project? Hadnt the general form (dark chateau plus 10 or so books) been set for a long time? I am generally aware of his new "sponsored projects" initiative on his website. Was he trying to change the published form of Zagyg?

With respect to the different creative ideas part, Im a little surprised by that as well. Was there something in Dark Chateau that you disagreed with (I thought it was good). Comparing Dark Chateau to the other 20 things written by you that I own, there are certainly differences in your writing styles (most obviously: GG is the master of brevity with the Steading at 8 pages, Hommlet at 32 pages, etc.), but Im not quite sure I see that many giant creative differences. Rob is probably a bit more "ornate" in his encounters whereas you tend to leave a bit more to the DM, but that didnt seem like a giant discrepancy.

I'm not trying to arouse any animosity between the two of you (and Im not trying to say anything nasty about Rob other than express disappointment that my favorite project will be delayed again), I am just trying to understand what happened. I'm curious whether you think Dark Chateau is a viable entry point to the Castle Zagyg that you envision or whether you think it would be wise to start elsewhere.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BluSponge said:
...Hate because everytime I read it I can't believe the derth of real plot hooks in it. ...

Tom
I have no sympathy for GMs that, given a detailed workd setting, its economics, politics, and all the rest, are unable to make up adventures suitable for their own campaign :]

Must your hand be held constantly? :p

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases