TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Eternalknight said:
Gary, here are a few questions as I won't be able to make the chat.

1) How long did it take you to write the original version of D&D? Or, in other words, when did you come up with the idea and how long did it take to get it into print?

2) I have been reading your Up On A Soapbox colums in Dragon and really enjoy them. Your commentry on some of your gaming sessions brings back memories about when i first started playing. Unfortuneatly, I can't seem to get that same 'feeling' now when i DM. Any advice?

3) Would you consider D&D (in any of its incarnations) as your favourite game? If no, which game would be your favourite?

Well, here you are, answers a day late, but hopefuly not short...

1. The initial 50 page draft of what was to become the D&D game took me only about two weeks to write--around November of 1972. After all, most of the material was drawn from the CHAINMAIL Fantasy Supplement, so it wasn't a real challenge. I then sent the draft around to a dozen or two of my wargaming comrades. The positive response was overwhealming, and from my own play-testing and the many letters and phone calls received from the other testers, I revised the initial material into a draft of some 150 pages--essentially what appeared in the three booklets of the boxed D&D set. That revision took place in the early spring of 1973. When Tactical Studies Rules was formed as a partnership by Don Kaye and I in October of 1973, we produced a military miniatures rules set as the first product, as that was all we could afford. Then, when we took in a new partner, the D&D ms.went to the printer's, so the game was published and sold in January 1974. By that time I was working on the new material thyat appeared in the GREYHAWK Supplement some considerable time later.

2. Go back to playng OAD&D, perhaps. I find that when I D< using the old material I am as enthused as ever--of course I still enjoy DMing OAD&D with the same zest as I did "way back when." If you want to change systems, take a peek at the LA material. It is now my system of choice because I find it facilitates my sense of wonder in regards to fantasy gamning.

3. Actually, see above for my feelings in regards to :favirite." While i love games, and the one I am playing at the time is the current "favorite," most likely, for long-term involvement I place the LA game, OD&D/AD&D, and METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA at the top. Of course I would like to try to get in some other genres there too, and when I have less writing to do, more playing time, I'll do that ;)

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Thanee said:
I just wanted to add, that I really liked the way you answered the questions here (i.e. taking the time to read and answer pretty much everything, especially the fun and ... inappropriate questions ;))!

Very cool! :)

Bye
Thanee

Thanks:) Actually I am happy to do this, because "chatting" with fellow gamers is almost as much fun as playing games with them. Okay, okay, I am a game geek!

:eek:

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: original MM question

Voadam said:
Is there a story or myth behind why rakshasas can be instantly slain by a blessed crossbow bolt? I have never come across one and it seems an odd enough specific vulnerability to be based off of a real myth.

Heh, and there surely is. There was a TV show, THGE NIGHT STALKER, that had an episode in which rakshas were the featured monster. In that program these demons could be slain thus, rather like the way a vampire would be by a blessed wooden crossbow bolt through the heart. So I thought that it would be a good idea to follow that lead.

Gary

Darklance

First Post
Has Jack Chick ever contacted you so he could chastise you for creating the object of his hatred? You are after all responsible for duping thousands across the world into worshiping Satan....

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Darklance said:
Has Jack Chick ever contacted you so he could chastise you for creating the object of his hatred? You are after all responsible for duping thousands across the world into worshiping Satan....

Oddly enough, no. In fact, the only anti-D&D group that ever did contact and interview me is a fundamentalist Christian organization that publishes a magazine called CORNERSTONE. The interviewer was polite, the resulting article in the magazine allowed I was merely misguided, not a deeply evil pro-satanist sort of person...

And speaking of people not contacting me, I surely do wish I'd get more feedback in regards my most recent adventure module, THE HERMIT! I know it played well in the LA format, and I'd sure like to hear how the D20 version rates :eek:

Gary

Hi Gary! :)

Does the HALL OF MANY PANES give a nod to Gravestone's Demiplane defenses in Come Endless Darkness (?) and if not have you ever thought of writing a module based on that sort of 'Run the Gauntlet' idea?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Upper_Krust said:
Hi Gary! :)

Does the HALL OF MANY PANES give a nod to Gravestone's Demiplane defenses in Come Endless Darkness (?) and if not have you ever thought of writing a module based on that sort of 'Run the Gauntlet' idea?

Hola Amigo:)

The plot for the HALL OF MANY PANES involves some rival deities--ones you might enjoy, as they are based on Celtic ones, modified for the game's world setting of course, and called the Daneen Pantheon.

Anyway, the demiplane exists because a deity created it, and the team of adventurers who get sent there must visit the many other dimensions that are accessed from it through enchanted portals that float about the "Panes" in the "Hall." Of course, there are dozens of such gateways to other places, and no two are exactly aloke, some wildly different from others.

Cheers,
Gary

coz

Explorer
Gary, I remember reading a Dragon magazine editorial from way back by you where you spoke of some new medieval live action group and you mentioned something about prior involvement in the SCA. Could you shed any more light on the subject of you in armor swinging rattan at another guy's head (for some reason I just picture you as a 'stick jock').

Just how many children do you have? Have any of them gone on to game design?

And who played those original Greyhawk adventurers who became famous NPCs?

Col_Pladoh said:
Hola Amigo:)

Hey Gary! :)

Col_Pladoh said:
The plot for the HALL OF MANY PANES involves some rival deities--ones you might enjoy, as they are based on Celtic ones, modified for the game's world setting of course, and called the Daneen Pantheon.

Celtic Pantheon you say...interesting. Too often sidelined in favour of the 'big three'.

Incidently I caught the veiled musings of Tharizdun in Dance of Demons wherein he indirectly equates himself with the Celtic Deity Cernun/Cernunnos. ;)

I still want to see you do the definitive work on Egyptian Mythology of course! :D

I'm curious, have you ever been to Egypt?

Col_Pladoh said:
Anyway, the demiplane exists because a deity created it, and the team of adventurers who get sent there must visit the many other dimensions that are accessed from it through enchanted portals that float about the "Panes" in the "Hall." Of course, there are dozens of such gateways to other places, and no two are exactly aloke, some wildly different from others.

I have been looking forward to it since you first mentioned it on these boards a while back.

As I recall didn't you say it can be utilised at myriad levels? After Gaxmoor and Necropolis are conquered it sounds like the Hall of Many Panes could be next on the agenda... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases