TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
ING (I'm not Gary), but I've instead heard that "Wee Jas" is a (Gaelic?) way of saying "little Janice," rather than the "ouija" story. Only Gary can answer with certainty. :)
Missed the original post, Henry,

Actually many of the Suel, Wee Jas included, were the creation of Len Lakofka, so that is chap to query :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

John Drake

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Ahem!

As a descendant or Noah Webster on my maternal, maternal side of the family I must object to that baseless assertion. Curb such statements, as the question of proper spelling is in the gray area. I do believe America English has a larger number of speakers than any other form, ay?

:lol:
Gary

Ah, sorry Gary and Nathan P. Mahney, :eek: I was just joking around! I thought the goofy little face at the end of my statement cleared that up :\ . No harm or offense was intended, I apologise profusely to any who were directly or indirectly hurt by my post.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
As "keak" means to to cackle, it is pronounced as a single syllable, keek.

I'll take this occasion to once again flog a book you recommended yourself, Gary - Poplollies and Bellibones. I consider it now to be the "Rosetta Stone" of Gygaxian writing. Words like "keak," "fonkin," and "hoddypeak" are defined and used in sentences in this nice little book. I've noticed Barnes & Noble selling it in their discount sections lately, so anyone who doesn't have it yet may still have the chance to avail themselves of it.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
Ah, sorry Gary and Nathan P. Mahney, :eek: I was just joking around! I thought the goofy little face at the end of my statement cleared that up :\ . No harm or offense was intended, I apologise profusely to any who were directly or indirectly hurt by my post.
:eek:

And my :lol: before signing off didn't tip my hand, show that I was just being silly?

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
I'll take this occasion to once again flog a book you recommended yourself, Gary - Poplollies and Bellibones. I consider it now to be the "Rosetta Stone" of Gygaxian writing. Words like "keak," "fonkin," and "hoddypeak" are defined and used in sentences in this nice little book. I've noticed Barnes & Noble selling it in their discount sections lately, so anyone who doesn't have it yet may still have the chance to avail themselves of it.
Right-O Colonel!

It is a fine little book filled with many interesting lost words :D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
John Drake said:
LoL, I didn't notice it til it was too late :D ! Ah well, as long as we're all clear! :)
Sure thing!

About the only part of gaming that I take seriously is the fun to be had :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
this in from Len Lakofka by an email message to me:

"Weejas is phonetically like the Parker Brother game oijas or however you spell it. It has nothing to do with any existing language."

there you have it.

Cheers,
Gary

Zudrak

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:

Indeed! I purchased this book myself recently (January or February) and it is a great book. Anyone saying otherwise should be hit with a flatchet or fleshspades (if wielded by a monk!). :)

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
haakon1 said:
None of which is THAT terrible, but in general FTA is a rotten as a week old fish in August. And that's about the kindest thing you'll ever hear me say about it. :]

Rant mode, activated . . .

Basically, Gary and crew wrote a great setting based on their personal campaign in Lake Geneva, WI . . . suits kicked out Gary and took over TSR, and produced said setting, which was based on poor-mans Risk-type game set on the Greyhawk map called "Greyhawk Wars". "Wars" took pretty much the names of countries and alignments, but not a decent read through of the original WOG material . . .

For some reason, a play through of the "Wars" game was used as the basis for the FTA setting, which is all about a war between good and evil, and evil forces romping around smiting countries in such a way that some pretty cool parts of the map are officially "gone" and replaced by vague no-mans-lands which are useless for adventuring (nothing to save, and nobody can really go there).

It was k-rad kewl to mess up Gary's setting . . . the best illustration of this is the cover illustrations of the respective editions.

WOG: Knights riding out from a castle. Implying PC's on a noble quest, related to a medieval land of some type.

FTA: Undead riding skeleton horses, riding away from a burning castle. Kewl! PC's no longer matter. Certainly, the posssibility of the PCs having won the big Against the Giants supermodule was never ever considered -- the setting just says the PC's must have failed, because the giants conquered everything they wanted.

Rant mode, deactivated . . .

The new management is better, but unfortuntely, they did not burn the FTAness from Greyhawk. The stink lingers in parts of the setting still. :(
As I've remarked before, I must be the only person who like FTA. It lead to a lot of adventuring possibilities, particularly with Iuz's empire across the north Flanaesses, Rary setting up shop in the Bright Desert with Robilar, and the insanity of the remnants of the Great Kingdom threatening all.

Using material drawn from FTA, I had King Belvor of Furyondy and the Archcleric of Veluna declare a crusade against Iuz the Evil. The Crusade Campaign included political manueverings to persuade Keoland and Nyrond to join the war, as well as a quest for the Crook of Rao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases