TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Col_Pladoh said:
Very ofter I find "elegant" used to laud some truly bad or dull game that only a handful of persons will ever enjoy playing, but some "important" critic/reviewer happens to like, or thinks he should like.

It's the "think he should like" reviewers that give the most trouble. I've seen a number of games that reviewers have loved the concept of, and thus raved about, but were, in the end, unplayable.

Ticket to Ride: Europe is an "elegant" game. Why? Because my friends and I like it. :)

Gary, have you seen the board game "Niagara"? I've been playing that with my friends recently, and enjoying greatly. It's a game that should appeal to both children and adults - it's rather fun to see your opponent miscalculate and have his canoe disappear over the waterfall, though less so when it happens to you, of course!

Cheers!

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Frankly, I think "elegance" is a pretentious term suimilar to that typically ised by art and antique dealers, "important." Elegant is not a quantifiable thing, it is an opinion and value judgement, as is the term important.

I've always said that the LA system has a certain elegance to it. :lol:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
It's the "think he should like" reviewers that give the most trouble. I've seen a number of games that reviewers have loved the concept of, and thus raved about, but were, in the end, unplayable.
What is really annoying about such reviews is when the reviewer is pompous.

Ticket to Ride: Europe is an "elegant" game. Why? Because my friends and I like it. :)
Four of us played it last night, and I elegantly beat the lot of them :lol:

Gary, have you seen the board game "Niagara"? I've been playing that with my friends recently, and enjoying greatly. It's a game that should appeal to both children and adults - it's rather fun to see your opponent miscalculate and have his canoe disappear over the waterfall, though less so when it happens to you, of course!

Cheers!
No, I have not seen it, but I was introduced to Quo Vadis and Condottieri (I hope I spelled those correctly) last night, and they are both enjoyable. I managed a narrow victory in the Roman Senate, but failed to win the battle for control of Italy :eek:

Cheers,
Gary the Game Geek

Elfdart

Banned
Banned
Col_Pladoh said:
:D

Son Alex mentioned it first, then I received an email to my Talk List with the link, and now your kind direction...

All to hear Len's name mentioned first :mad:

:lol:
Gary

He was uh, saving the best for last?
:p

grodog

Hero
Thanks for signing the GH mini boxed set for me last night, Gary! I think that's the first signature I've gotten from you since Origins 1987 in Baltimore :D

edit - There's been some concerted discussion of Gary's old pre-2e classes over on the Knights & Knaves boards, in case folks are interested in popping over to check it out. I'm definitely interested in leveraging the notes from here to create OSRIC-compatible versions of these classes: http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1264

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dcas said:
I've always said that the LA system has a certain elegance to it. :lol:
Well...

Just as long as you haven't said it pompously, I can't fault your word choice, as it is your judgement after all :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
grodog said:
Thanks for signing the GH mini boxed set for me last night, Gary! I think that's the first signature I've gotten from you since Origins 1987 in Baltimore :D
How quickly word gets around in this electronic age :uhoh:

Happy to oblige of course, and I did spell your first name Allen...J/K, Allan :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

genshou

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Hi Genshou,

Frankly, I think "elegance" is a pretentious term suimilar to that typically ised by art and antique dealers, "important." Elegant is not a quantifiable thing, it is an opinion and value judgement, as is the term important.

Very ofter I find "elegant" used to laud some truly bad or dull game that only a handful of persons will ever enjoy playing, but some "important" critic/reviewer happens to like, or thinks he should like.

I think if I say more I'll be in trouble with the clique that claims play of RPGs is an art form:

"Yes, Dear Fellow, you play that game of make-believe so artfully..." :lol:

Cheers,
Gary
This is a good answer. I especially like the last sentence. Elegant is not the term I chose, but rather that of the OP in that thread. I didn't think it was a good word either, but to some people role-playing is an art. They would not enjoy the same games I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases