TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Raloc

First Post
Hi Gary. I think it's very cool that you answer questions here. Also, a big thanks and I hope you are well :) The books I have that you've written are favorites of those in my library.

A couple of short questions. Someone asked if you came up with mind flayers, I'd just like to second that as they are probably my favorite creature. I am using them in my current campaign in much the way you mentioned. Someone also mentioned Futurama, just curious, are you a fan?

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Raloc said:
A couple of short questions. Someone asked if you came up with mind flayers, I'd just like to second that as they are probably my favorite creature. I am using them in my current campaign in much the way you mentioned. Someone also mentioned Futurama, just curious, are you a fan?

The mind flayer I made up out of whole cloth using my imagination, but inspired by the cover of Brian Lumley's novel in paperback edition, The Burrowers Beneath;)

I watched Futurama often, especially after I appeared in an episode. It ran here at the time we were usually not watching the telly, rather having a before dinner cocktail.

Cheers,
Gary

mossfoot

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I watched Futurama often, especially after I appeared in an episode. It ran here at the time we were usually not watching the telly, rather having a before dinner cocktail.

Cheers,
Gary

Of course I always wondered... "Why a +1 mace? Surely he'd have access to at least a +5 with some special powers!" ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mossfoot said:
Of course I always wondered... "Why a +1 mace? Surely he'd have access to at least a +5 with some special powers!" ;)

Heh,

Voice talent proposes, the Producer disposes :confused:

I did suggest a larger role, regular appearances, above union minimum, and recording done on location in Hollywood, but all I got from that was a horse-laugh... In short, they gave me a script, and those are the lines I spoke.

Cheers,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, I'm going to try my hand at detailing some of the major encounter areas on the large scale hex map in your excellent D trilogy of modules. Since I want to be as "Gygaxian" as possible, please let me know how much credence I should give to the descriptions of Lolth and Blibdoolpoolp in the AD&D Deities & Demigods book. Did the authors get these two deities right, or did some misconceptions enter therein?

Raloc

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The mind flayer I made up out of whole cloth using my imagination, but inspired by the cover of Brian Lumley's novel in paperback edition, The Burrowers Beneath;)

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks for the reply Gary :) I've always wondered where the mind flayer came from. Happy posting!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary, I'm going to try my hand at detailing some of the major encounter areas on the large scale hex map in your excellent D trilogy of modules. Since I want to be as "Gygaxian" as possible, please let me know how much credence I should give to the descriptions of Lolth and Blibdoolpoolp in the AD&D Deities & Demigods book. Did the authors get these two deities right, or did some misconceptions enter therein?

As much as I'd like to be able to assist, i fear my copy of Deities & Demigods is sealed away in the attic, and there's no way i can recall the stats and description for those two, Blibdoolpoolp and Lolth.

If you can post the data, or send it to me, I'll be happy to respond.

Cheers,
Gary

replicant2

First Post
Hi Gary, great to see you back on the boards, and I wish continued good health for the man who started it all.

On to my question: Could you attempt to describe your creative process when writing a module or other adventure? Do you picture the events in your head, like the story line of a novel, or do you create encounters and locations and build around these?

For example, when you wrote Against the Giants, did you design the giant strongholds first and develop the drow plotline as you went along, or vice versa?

The Shaman

First Post
No questions here, Gary, just a heartfelt thank you for the many, many years of enjoyment, intellectual stimulation, and comaraderie the game of Dungeons and Dragons has brought my way.

Very best in all things.

Virel

First Post
Indeed Gary, thank you for taking the time to post, share tidbits, answer questions and giving us the wonderful game of AD&D.

A friend of mine wanted me to ask about this specific example:

Cias asked:

I understand that, according to Gary's last reply, if a magic-user casts sleep at a group of enemies, the magic-user cannot select specifically to affect (or attempt to affect) some enemies while excluding others.

But how does this affect PCs and other allies of the magic-user if they are near the monsters that the sleep spell is targeting?

For example, There are 5 goblins, 2 bugbears, and 3 1st level PC fighters all in melee together and the PC magic-user casts sleep at the goblins and bugbears. Will the spell also affect the PCs or can the magic-user select groups of creatures, just not individuals within those groups?

Thank You again for your time.

V

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases