TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Melkor said:
That's somewhat bad news Gary - I know it would have been a lot easier on you had the two of you been able to work on material together.
Spot on!

As Rob adventured a lot in my original castle, I in his, and we also co-DMed groups, we knew each others style, and what the castle should "feel" like, what the mysterious areas were all about, etc.

Working without him means I have to a great deal additional explanatory material for the growing list of special encounters I have on hand, expend a lot of rime communication with another writer or team of same, carefully content edit each piece of the project.

SOme semi-retirement :mad:

Cheers,
Gary

Blustar

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Okay, and a couple is two, so I'll answer that many :]

:lol:

The three hardbound LA game core rule books will be a revised and ex[anded edition

That's great news and I will be there with bells on...I hope to pre-order soon...

Piazo is considering reprinting the Magister Setne Inhetep fantasy mysteries. They are related to the whole of DJ game system, as they were set on the Mythus world setting, but being novels they could be set in some other fantasy earth without a problem. I wrote Necroplis adventure during the time I was working on the first or second of the novels--can't say which, but they are not connected to that module.

They really should reprint them, I have no reservations recommending them to my friends...

I do not own the rights to Necropolis, so I can not convert it to the LA game system

Too bad eh!!! I love the Egyptian theme. I saw the King Tut exhibit down here in Miami (last year) and it really inspired me. The dagger and crown were beyond cool...

Meantime, the many modules detailing the Town of Yggsburgh and its suburban areas are moving along well, about half in for content edition, and the remainder slated to be completed from late this month through November. The Trolls plan to release initially them in pdf format, in batches of four or so, I believe. As there are 24 total, each of rather sizeable proportions, 64 pages, this will make the place about the most detailed large fantasy community game setting.

The castle and dungeons will be done too, and that should pick up steam late this year.

Wow, that's a lot of modules...I hope I recognize some names but I'll try them anyways. I really feel that CZ is one of your best works and I'm just hoping you can do something similar in the future for the LA system. (since I get to DM LA!) An adventure supplement like that for LA would be cool.

As I mentioned, I have limiterd energy and have semi-retired, so it is not likely that I;ll be writing more novels. Frankly, I have too many game projects to oversee and work on, as well as business matters that seem to eat up a lot of time.

Yes, I see that time is actually finite after all. Now, with Rob dropping out it will become more of a "problem". If it comes it comes and patience and confidence go hand in hand. I think things are going in the right direction for you either way. Positive thoughts heading your way...I hope there's no hard feelings between you guys and you still remain friends.

Having fun with RPGs, and sort of game, is one of the things I enjoy most. Great to learn you are knocking yourself out with the new material. Just don't burn out!

I'm getting my gaming in with my son before he hits the dreaded teen years (16-19) and start "breaking away". (he's 12 now) I hope I'm still here when the fires of rebellion die down and we can keep gaming. :D

Blue

PS- Hey I "saw" you for the first time when I watched the DVD feature from the D&D second movie.(Wrath of the Dragon god) You looked good and my TV didn't break. I'm definitely keeping this DVD so I can show my friends what The Father of RPG's looks like. (fairly normal) :lol:

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
You don't own the rights to Necropolis? Is this the same one you did with Necromancer/White Wolf? If so, well, are you sure? I know today Necromancers practice is for co-ownership. Maybe WW had too much influence on contracts back in the beginning of d20?

I'll say two things about Necropolis. It has awesome Egyptian feel, and you are still the master of making *#@$*!!#&@ **## deadly traps!!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Blustar said:
That's great news and I will be there with bells on...I hope to pre-order soon...
The trolls have a lot of work to do to put in all the corrections, additions and so forth. Before that happens the two core rules supplements will eb offered as pdf, maybe even as paperback books. these are Tome of Knowledge and More Beasts of Lejend.

They really should reprint them, I have no reservations recommending them to my friends...
Erik Mona is putting the matter of the Setne Inhetep books to his superiuors at Piazo, so tell him ;)

Too bad eh!!! I love the Egyptian theme. I saw the King Tut exhibit down here in Miami (last year) and it really inspired me. The dagger and crown were beyond cool...
As a lad my father often took me to the Egyptian exhibits in the Field Museum.

[/QUOTE]Wow, that's a lot of modules...I hope I recognize some names but I'll try them anyways. I really feel that CZ is one of your best works and I'm just hoping you can do something similar in the future for the LA system. (since I get to DM LA!) An adventure supplement like that for LA would be cool.[/QUOTE]
Each will have the Yggsburgh name as the first word in its title.

Yes, I see that time is actually finite after all. Now, with Rob dropping out it will become more of a "problem". If it comes it comes and patience and confidence go hand in hand. I think things are going in the right direction for you either way. Positive thoughts heading your way...I hope there's no hard feelings between you guys and you still remain friends.
Gone are the days when one thinks that life goes on forever, eh? :lol:

I'm getting my gaming in with my son before he hits the dreaded teen years (16-19) and start "breaking away". (he's 12 now) I hope I'm still here when the fires of rebellion die down and we can keep gaming. :D

Blue
Yuppers, a good plan. Son Alex, age 19 now works two jobs and has a girlfriend, so he doesn't game with me any more. Son Luke is off on the West Coast, married, and doesn't game with me either. Oldest son Ernie hosts a group of us to pplay boardgames but doesn't do much RPGing any longer.

PS- Hey I "saw" you for the first time when I watched the DVD feature from the D&D second movie.(Wrath of the Dragon god) You looked good and my TV didn't break. I'm definitely keeping this DVD so I can show my friends what The Father of RPG's looks like. (fairly normal) :lol:
Heh!

I am right easy to see. Just drop by here most anytime. A fair number of folks do that, making an appointment first to be sure I'm around :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Treebore said:
You don't own the rights to Necropolis? Is this the same one you did with Necromancer/White Wolf?

TSR/WoTC acquired the rights to all published Dangerous Journeys stuff when TSR/GDW and co came up with a settlement in 1994.

Necromancer went to Wizards directly and licensed the rights to the adventure and converted it to 3e D&D. I'm sure if Gary still owned Necropolis, it might have become a LA adventure instead.

Someday I wish somebody would bring back Epic of Aerth. That product is the only one you can't get a PDF of from Paizo (Mythus and Mythus Magick are available for $4.00 each), and it's a great setting, with minimal game rules involved in the work and a lot of hints regarding creatures and it would make for a great setting for just about any game--LA, any edition of D&D, etc.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
You don't own the rights to Necropolis? Is this the same one you did with Necromancer/White Wolf? If so, well, are you sure? I know today Necromancers practice is for co-ownership. Maybe WW had too much influence on contracts back in the beginning of d20?

I'll say two things about Necropolis. It has awesome Egyptian feel, and you are still the master of making *#@$*!!#&@ **## deadly traps!!
:uhoh:

The fellows at Necromancer games got the license for Necropolis from WotC, the owner of the copyright to the work via acquisition of TSR.

There are indeed some fiendish traps in that module :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Blustar

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Spot on!

As Rob adventured a lot in my original castle, I in his, and we also co-DMed groups, we knew each others style, and what the castle should "feel" like, what the mysterious areas were all about, etc.

Working without him means I have to a great deal additional explanatory material for the growing list of special encounters I have on hand, expend a lot of rime communication with another writer or team of same, carefully content edit each piece of the project.

SOme semi-retirement :mad:

Cheers,
Gary

Retirement is overrated isn't it? Wasn't Faust one retirement from damnation and hell? (or at least being satisfied) :p Onward! :]

Blue

Treebore

First Post
Gary,

I'm retired too. If we didn't have these "projects" we'd go insane with boredom! Well, horseback riding is good too.

Treebore

First Post
On the topic of "unexpected ways your creation of D&D has effected the world".

There is a certain Army (US) trainer of a certain type of Military Intelligence personnel, who is an avid gamer. She was told to come up with a way to effectively train personnel to deal with a variety of situations in the field. Guess what she used as her "model" for working up the roleplays and determining success? She's getting some nice accolades for coming up with it, too. Its been in use for over 3 years now.

Reports of noticeably better results in the field as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases