TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Thulcondar said:
Dear Gary,

(And thanks for the permission to use the familiar; I'm something of a formalist when it comes to addressing those I consider my betters.)
:lol:

Not a better, merelt a fellow gaming enthusiast that happens to have a compulsive neurotic drive to write.

A minor question regarding something I recently uncovered while researching an article on how to get the most out of DMing the D1-3 series. In D1, on p. 6, you say that "Shadow groups are spies for the Drow, for they are the major creations of the Drow deity." (Shadows referring of course to the AD&D monster.)

I was just wondering if you could elaborate on the connection between Lolth and the creation of Shadows. I realize that Driders are now considered the "major creations" of Lolth, thanks to "Queen of the Demonweb Pits" (*sigh*), but the though occurred to me that perhaps you were being somewhat sly in referring to "the Drow deity", and might perhaps have meant the Elder Elemental God, rather than Lolth. Or that might just be reading too much into it.

I know Q1 was not your work for the most part, of course; had you perhaps originally intended some connection with Lolth and the demiplane of shadow, or something else?

Thulcondar

PS: That aforementioned keyboard is packed and ready to be shipped out. Apologies for the delay; it's been an "interesting time" around here, in the Chinese sense of the term.
Actually, I did not mean the drider to be a creation of Lolth, but rather shadows as you note, that coming from her draining humans of positive life energy as a spider sucks the fluids from its prey.

Dave Sutherland created the drider for Q1 and attributed it to Lolth, so that was that. So under those circumstances the best way to reconcile the problem is to have the EEG be the creator of the shadow.

May you live in interesting times, eh? :uhoh: Have you read the Judge Dee mysteries? Excellent if you enjoy the genre.

Anyway, no problem about the delay regarding the keyboard--a sunny day here, so reading the worn keys is not difficult... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Thulcondar said:
I find that particularly fascinating (and yet another indicator of just how far you were willing to go to find source material). Although it also points out how far Mme. Blavatsky was willing to go for source material, inasmuch as the Deva is a Hindu figure.

I have been toying with the idea of putting together some sort of Angelic heirarchy to counter the Diabolic and Demonic heirarchies. Since we have arch-devils, why not arch-angels? Major Devils and Seraphim. Demon Princes and Saints... The details are unimportant, but you get the idea... And of course the "named" Infernal figures would have their own counterparts.

The only thing that has stumped me thusfar is in individualizing them sufficiently. Perhaps I am a creature of the mythologies to which I am accustomed, but the angelic hosts always seemed so... homogenous. Valkyries could work for one of the other alignments (NG, mayhap, although for those who know their true nature according to the Norse lore they are far from beneficient beings!), but I find myself at something of a stumbling block. And for the non-good/evil minions... I would ache for something more rooted in mythology than Modrons.

Any thoughts as to a possible expansion of the demon/devil/daemon idea into the realms of Good, beyond the (to my mind, rather limited) Deva/Plantar/Solar?

As always, my thanks in advance.
The short answer is that as a Christian I have stayed away from Judeo-Christian theology. Thus the use of Theophysical in Hindu spirit entities.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dcas said:
Are there rough D&D equivalents to each of the nine choirs of angels? or was that not a consideration?
That was not a consideration, the Devas, Planatars, and Solars were added to the roster of creatures to coulter-balance the various demone, devils, and fiends.

Cheerio,
Gary

edgewaters

First Post
Mighty Veil said:
Looking at Solar Symbols at Wiki. The Canadian flag looks similar to the 8 pointed star. Makes me wonder if that's what it's suppose to be.

8 pointed star
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_symbols

Maple leaf flag
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_leaf_flag

Purely coincidental, as you can see from the evolution of the flag in the Wiki article. It doesn't say it but the maple leaf was being used as a Canadian symbol by the military as early as WW1 (the tunnels near Vimy Ridge are full of them: http://198.103.134.2/content/memorials/ww1mem/vimy/images/026.jpg ).

Sorry to go off-topic, its a terrible habit!!

Gary:

It is my understanding you enjoy Edgar Rice Burrough's works set on Mars. Is there any other science fiction you enjoy?

jasin

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Planetar and Solar were inspired by Theosophy. There were no grades of either IIRR--too lazy to dig up MMII and check for sure.
Could you provide more details on this, please?

I had some ideas for a game that involved a world with a single solar as the spirit/ruler/personification of the Sun and a single planetar as the spirit/ruler/personification of Earth. The epic overarching plot would involve the planetar rising up against the solar: a bit of gnosticism, a bit of Ra vs. Apophis...

What got me thinking along these lines were mostly just the names for the creatures, "planetar" and "solar" which I never thought were chosen for any particular reason, but now that you mention being inspired by Theosophy, it seems I might have been going back to the roots without being aware of them.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
FATDRAGONGAMES said:
Hi Gary!

Was there ever a formula for determining XP and GP values for magic items in 1E AD&D? If not, do you have any suggestions or guidelines for doing so?
Hmmm...

I would have sworn that I used one when I set those values down in GPs in the DMG, but I surely can not recall what it was. The GP value given for a magic item equaled what XPs I gave for it if they sold it. Hald the amount in XPs if it was retained bu anuone in the party.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
edgewaters said:

Gary:

It is my understanding you enjoy Edgar Rice Burrough's works set on Mars. Is there any other science fiction you enjoy?
:confused:

You aren't joking, are you? I read SF since I was 12. and have written a few short stories in the genre, and so my name is included in the roster of SF authors.

I have always enjoyed the writing of many SF authors including: Asimov, Bradbury, Clark, Dick, Elkison, Farmer, Gernsback, Hamilron, Raymond Jones, Damon Knight, Laumer, Sam Merwin, Jr., Norton, Offut, Pangborn, Mack Reynolds, St. Claire and Sheckly (and Shaver... :lol: ), Tenn, van Vogt, Wellman and Williamson, and Zelazny.

As a matter of fact I have paperbacks, magazines of pulp and digest sort, and a few hardbacks too with all of those authors and a lor more in by library...and I have read them all :cool:

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jasin said:
Could you provide more details on this, please?

I had some ideas for a game that involved a world with a single solar as the spirit/ruler/personification of the Sun and a single planetar as the spirit/ruler/personification of Earth. The epic overarching plot would involve the planetar rising up against the solar: a bit of gnosticism, a bit of Ra vs. Apophis...

What got me thinking along these lines were mostly just the names for the creatures, "planetar" and "solar" which I never thought were chosen for any particular reason, but now that you mention being inspired by Theosophy, it seems I might have been going back to the roots without being aware of them.
I do not pretend to be an expert on Theosophy, so you must do your own research in regards information there.

You have the correct hierarchy for the Solar and Planatar, so I can not add anything there.

As for Egyptian deities at odds, the big dustup was between Ra and Osiris when Ra was taking Set's sind in regards who should rule earth, Horus son of Osiris or Set. Osiris onfrmed Ra that he had "many savage faced messengers" to assert his claim, and Ra backed down.

Cheerio,
Gary

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I have always enjoyed the writing of many SF authors including:
I'm surprised Heinlein isn't in that list. He seems right up your alley (especially, say, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress).

Have you ever read The Mote in God's Eye by Niven & Pournelle? One of the best SF books ever written IMHO (and in Heinlein's opinion, too). Unfortunately the sequel (The Gripping Hand) is no good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases