TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mighty Veil

First Post
Dragon Compendium

ColonelHardisson said:
The Dragon Compendium actually features a Mountebank, a Savant, and a Jester class (Mystic I don't recall being in there, off the top of my head). The Mountebank and Savant classes, as I (hazily) recall them, could be covered in 3rd edition

A 3rd edition Dragon Compendium has them printed.

seskis281

First Post
Good morning Gary.

First off I wanted to say I've finally gotten all my questions straight on LA - thanks for guiding me towards the rules forums. I also recently finally got my first copies of C&C books. LA most definitely appeals to me as a player, and I hope to make it down to Lake Geneva for the next Trolls convention. C&C, as I suspected, is everything I've been looking for for years, and so I'm gonna go with it from here on for the games I run - looking forward to purchasing the CZ material soon as well (all this I'm sure will make Peter and the Tolllords feel good).

Which brings me to my questions for the day - having gotten so excited with all this new material I realized I wanted to develop my own campaign setting and world - I've done this once before on a limited basis, but this time I wanted to start from scratch and I got really into it. Having lots of time at home taking care of my wife after surgery certainly prompted this as well. I got inspired, hand-drew a small rough map and then in two days detailed on two poster-boards my main continent and sub-continents. I developed the races, the specific branches of humanity, then the history and religious outlines, now I'm working on brief descriptions of nations and regions. I am tying this to C&C, but trying to make it general enough (no detailed stats) to be used with any system.

So, with apologies for such a lengthy start, here are my questions about your thoughts on developing a campaign setting:

1. Do you think it's a good idea to have at least one nation, region personify "evil" in an overt way (i.e. Iuz), and conversely locate one state that is overtly "good"?

2. My intention is to keep Gods more mystically removed from the setting - rather they created the world, are the source of divine powers, but do not interact, intervene or select "chosen" NPCs to run around delivering deus ex machinas. How directly do you feel divinities should be involved in a campaign setting?

3. The theory I'm preceding with here is that (in my humble opinion) campaign settings are best when they give just enough info to understand the world and its environs, and offer enough regions and lands for the diversity of adventures and encounters without burdening the players or GM's with the need to "reference" or check too much backstory or canon beyond what the GM is running in the campaign. To me this was what your original Greyhawk was about, and since then I've yet to run across a setting that offers that spark of excitement that I got when I first bought the boxed set back in 1982. TSR/WOTC have Metastoried Greyhawk over the years (and I know how you feel on that one) so that it has too much baggage now, Forgotten Realms was always an overpowered, over-deified nightmare to me, Drangonlance is cool, but Weiss's great stories have made it more of a setting for fiction rather than RPG (when I tried to do a campaign my players knew the damn world by heart, HAD to start in Solace, HAD to meet "famous" NPC's, etc.) - hence why I'm making my own.

So the question here with this is how much information do you think it is important to give in developing a world setting? What are the basics that I should cover if I want to offer it to others to play?

Thanks,

John W. Wright :cool:

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Ciao, John,

Good work as usual. Just a couple of additions. The savant and mystic were meant to deal with critters from other planes as well. The mountebank could use disguise, impersonate, and with his patter or oration affect an audience of one or many more.The jester could use several hurled missile weapons such as daggers, clubs, knives, throwing stars, etc. with speed and accuraccy.

Cheers,
Gary

Hum. The Mountebank actually sounds a great deal like the thief/ magic-user I was playing in Rob's game at LGGC. Or at least how I like to play one.

Might just have to cook up a C&C version myself. ^_^`

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Hello Gary! I have a question about your excellent Living Fantasy book. I haven't had time to read it all but I was looking through the section on social classes and I noticed that you have actors and such lumped in with the criminal underclass. Why is that?

And can you recommend any good books on the medieval time period that may further enlighten me on that period of time?

Thanks.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Mighty Veil said:
A 3rd edition Dragon Compendium has them printed.

Yes, which I state right in the piece you quoted. My point in that post, if you read it, is that the versions of those classes in that book bear almost no resemblance to what Gary proposed, and that what he proposed can actually be covered in the 3e rules now.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi Seskis281

It is good to learn that you like the LA game for play. From my perspective, it is also much easier to design and GM for it because of its rules-light nature and flexibility. that said, the C&C system is great for a class based RPG.

As for advice regarding dsign, I don't give that. It is really a matter of personal taste, that of the GM and player group. For example, if you like having a state that is as malign as the Empire ruled by John Ominor, and your players will appreciate such a place, it is "right." If not, it is not a good thing.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Hello Gary! I have a question about your excellent Living Fantasy book. I haven't had time to read it all but I was looking through the section on social classes and I noticed that you have actors and such lumped in with the criminal underclass. Why is that?
Heh...

Because historically such performers were considered just that--the bottom of the social class barrel. Of course the performers typically earned their reputation as knaves, swindlers, thieves and the like ;)

And can you recommend any good books on the medieval time period that may further enlighten me on that period of time?

Thanks.
Any of those books wkith a title including "life" and "medieval" or even "Renaissance". I can't give you a bibliography, as all of my reference books are where I can not conveniently access them :heh:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases