TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Barak said:
Oh that's just great. You hate the Dolphins. We might be going to Lake Geneva sooner then expected after all, the wife is a Bills fan true and through, and therefore hates the fishes with a passion.

Well, I am a strange Bears fan in that I do not hate the Packers, enjoy watching them play, but I dislike the Vikings strongly--well, as much as I can work up enmity for any team in a sport that really doesn't affect my real life other than in regards to leisure-time amusement :rolleyes:

Anyway.. Your comment about the need to publish new material to make the game "grow" brings to mind another comment from one of my gaming friends. You are a vocal proponent of "simple" systems, as your comments on 3E indicate. Yet, any gaming system always end up publishing supplements, obviously, both to enable the company to make money selling them (duh!), and due to fan-demand. And obviously, any supplement must, somehow, bring -some- more rules with it, be it only to enable the use of such new material. How do you, as a game writer reconcile that fact with your ultimate preference for a somewhat rule-lite system?

There is often player pressure to add complexities and complications to rules and systems, such additions being urged in areas that the players like and believe to be critical to enjoyment of the game. I did that for some writing in OAD&D and regretted it considerably thereafter--mainly weapons vs. armor types and psionics. I would have been better advised to have explained alignment more carefully, stressing that is was mainly for the DM to use in judging a PCS actions, and not something that should ever be discussed in character unless with clerics or in a debate of morals and ethics, mainly philosphical. Actions should speak for alignment, and a player should have his PC perform according to the alignment chosen without speaking of it.

Back to the LA game system, the additions I have are mainly the sort that expand choices in the game--new a very few new Abilities, new Orders, new Equipment, new Weapons, more Powers (spells), Extraordinary Items (magic items), and new creatures (monsters). What rules additions there are are generally very short, quantify existing material or else give the Lejend Master some guidelines for action areas that were overlooked initially--breath holding for example.

In short, the material to supplement the existing core work adds perhaps 5%or less to the rules base, and the other 95% or more simply increases the options available to players and the LM.

Very few new rules are being added, but those that exist are being clarified in brief. Any complications desired are left to the LM, and most using the system appreciate that, as it leaves the game in their hands, not in those of rules lawers who can point to chapter and verse to mess up the flow of the adventure;)

Cheers,
Gary

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Hello Gary, hope you and your family are well.

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the Gord the Rogue series. I just finished "Dance of Demons" and it was a blast. Reading these books has given me a new take on how demons and celestials act. The rigid dogma and inflexible attitudes of the Solars they encountered was interesting. No turn the other cheek attitude there. Plus Vuron will be making some appearances in my game, what a cool demon.

Reading about Graz'zt, Zuggtmoy, Demogorgon and all the major demons was quite a thrill as they were one of the things that caught my eye when browsing the MM back in 1983, which led to me starting gaming. The ending was cool, was that your way of "washing" your hands of the setting? I kind of think that if you had just left off after the final fight between Gord and "T" it would have been better. But I'm a sucker for a "Good guy gets screwed", Stephen King style ending.

Anyway on to "Night Arrant" and I eagerly await the graphic novels. Bravo on the quality storytelling.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
PatEllis15 said:
Thanks again Gary.

I agree with your long term assessment with D&D, thus my earlier question about your possible aquisition of the property.

I suspect that we will see 4th Edition sooner than most would like, and that soon after that thing will spiral to far down for Hasbro to stomach, and they will see selling the property as more atractive the pumping money into it. If you can't buy it, perhaps Adkinson will buy it back...

Peter Adkison is a huge fan of D&D, and 3E was really his vision. Thus, Peter would be the logical one to acquire the game when Hasbro divests it. I was concerned when he left WotC because it seemed to me that the main force behind the new game was gone.

Onto another subject near and dear to your heart... Moving D&D, frombooks to the big (or small) screen.

It seems to me that NO fantasy movie to date has captured the basis for an D&D adventure. To often they focus on the poor scrub having to save the princess, or a typical plot of the underdog having to save the world.

I wonder to what extent a D&D TV show could find success in the syndicated TV market. Make a 2 hour TV movie, and hve 4-6 adventure types be forced together, and then have them do some deed to gain freedom, and find friendhsip in the same breath. Subsequent 1 hour shows could focus on small adventures, with larger story arcs playing them selves out. Hercles and Xeno showed that you don't have to have world class budgets to make a fantasy show, and with the upswell of support for fantasy films (ala Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings) I think that success could be found.

But the focus for any such film or show should be about a group of adventurers adventuring! No need to save the world every week...

I'd just like to hear your thought on this subject. Did you get far enough along with Hollywood to discuss the concept for a TV show or Movie?

Pat E

Short answer to a lengthy exposition;)

The D&D Movie was such a dog-log that there is no chance that the game will be used as the basis for another major theatrical motion picture in the foreseeable future. That means there is little chance for a TV movie introducing a series. No name draw after the film fiasco, and no game based series has made money, so no D&D production.

If the upcoming D&D CRPGs do very very well, and/or the D&D MMPORPG coming from Atari in 2005 is a smash, then there might be some renewed interest. Otherwise, the property is gornished for theatrical release or TV.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Hello Gary, hope you and your family are well.

Howdy Flexor!

Thanks, and yes, we are all fine. This weekend all six of my children and all six of my grandchldren too are likely to be here for a family get-together and cook-out. First time that'll ever have happened;)

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the Gord the Rogue series. I just finished "Dance of Demons" and it was a blast. Reading these books has given me a new take on how demons and celestials act. The rigid dogma and inflexible attitudes of the Solars they encountered was interesting. No turn the other cheek attitude there.

Heh, and the alignments as defined in OAD&D are fairly narrow, and as I mentioned earlier, Lawful good is LAWFUL first, that being the qualifier of Good. The Biblical example in the Hebrew Scriptures of the Mosaic is a good guideline as to how the LG ethos operates.

Reading about Graz'zt, Zuggtmoy, Demogorgon and all the major demons was quite a thrill as they were one of the things that caught my eye when browsing the MM back in 1983, which led to me starting gaming. The ending was cool, was that your way of "washing" your hands of the setting? I kind of think that if you had just left off after the final fight between Gord and "T" it would have been better. But I'm a sucker for a "Good guy gets screwed", Stephen King style ending.

When I penned the Gord yarns I was not attempting literary excellence but rather seeking to convey the action and adventure imagined in the play of AD&D..as set in the World of Greyhawk. i confess i had a lot of fun writing the material too;)

When T$R started messing around with the setting, I did indeed decide to let them know what I thought of that, wrote the conclusion to the series that I did to put a point on it. Of course I did leave it sufficiently vague to allow for a return of a parallel WoG if relations ever improved. Then came the changes to the setting that made it virtually impossible to ever restore the original setting. Such is creative life.

Anyway on to "Night Arrant" and I eagerly await the graphic novels. Bravo on the quality storytelling.

There is a delay of the graphic novel until December, this due to problems with illustrators and inkers, i am told. The initial series will cover SAGE OF OLD CITY with parts of CITY OF HAWKS thrown in, then the second book will be ARTIFACT OF EVIL, again with additions from CoH to round it out more fully. given the success of those two, the other novels will then be treated graphically, and likely some new material added.

BTW, I had the most fun writing the short stories in NIGHT ARRANT, as creating good short stories is a challenge more demanding than writing a whole novel.

Cheers,
Gary

Melan

Explorer
Salutations!

Angrypossum's query about the healing potion got me thinking bout another main element of the game: turning undead. Do I recall correctly that you later regretted the inclusion of this ability in the game? If you redid OD&D for its new comeback (red, velvet-covered box, leatherbound booklets and all), how would you approach the class? Or, for that matter, other classes? Would you change them at all?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Hey Gary, I just noticed in the latest Previews that the setting for Lejendary Adventures is being released for d20 also. I think that's actually a cool idea, since it could help fans of either system get a glimpse into the other system. Now, if only we could see Epic of Aerth rereleased as a d20 setting... ;)

Anyway, I was wondering if you could give us a rundown, a synopsis, if you will, of what the setting is like.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Melan said:
Salutations!

Angrypossum's query about the healing potion got me thinking bout another main element of the game: turning undead. Do I recall correctly that you later regretted the inclusion of this ability in the game? If you redid OD&D for its new comeback (red, velvet-covered box, leatherbound booklets and all), how would you approach the class? Or, for that matter, other classes? Would you change them at all?

Considering how potent I made undead, I wouldn't really change much in regards the clerical turning of them. I might put strictures on the alignment of the undead as opposed to the cleric, the tables used iriginally being for the diametrically opposed--LE-CG, NE-NG, and CE-LG.

Actually, not being much given to pointless specualtion, I have never sat down and contemplated in serious manner what changes I would make in OAD&D were I about to revise it. too many real creative things to do;) Back in 1984 I was gearing up to do a revision, made notes that T$R had and didn't follow. Most of that I have forgotten now, what with so many other creative works envisaged and written.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Hey Gary, I just noticed in the latest Previews that the setting for Lejendary Adventures is being released for d20 also. I think that's actually a cool idea, since it could help fans of either system get a glimpse into the other system. Now, if only we could see Epic of Aerth rereleased as a d20 setting... ;)

Anyway, I was wondering if you could give us a rundown, a synopsis, if you will, of what the setting is like.

Stone a Crow!

I haven't seen that announcement, so I am at a loss.

Of course the format of the LE world setting is really system neutral, contains no rules and only a little LA game-specific material (history), being mainly just geographical, economic, and political information along with adventure hooks that would fin almost any FRPG. In effect it is accurate that the world setting could be used with D&D, but the books don't contain any d20 material or any direct LA game material either...

So I suppose I should check out the preview :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases