TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Treebore

First Post
Mark,

Could you make the LGGC in July? Or January if they end up having it? Gary is at those if his health permits. I'm going to do my best to make it to both of them.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Wolv0rine said:
And for the first time in my 34 years (and with a hearty belly-laugh) I glimpse how the nutjobs of the 80's could have seen it all as a weird cult. I can just see you sitting on the porch with a handful of dice, waving whoever over. "Come on over and play. All are welcome, all are welcome."

Even if it were a cult, at least we're too cool to pass around kool-aid. :D
:lol:

Well, as a matter of fact I did recruit James M. Ward to RPGing by button-holing him in the local magazine and paperback book shop here when I saw him checking out fantasy and SF titles. He gave me a rather strange look but did indeed come over to see about the game I had extolled to him...OD&D back in 74 'IIRR.

:eek:
Gary

DungeonMaester

First Post
Dear Gary,

Well, having no responces to my post is a constant theme, so I cant expect to goad a responce from you, Gary. Still, the avatar from futurama? Classic! dind't Al Gore say he was a 12 level Vice president? Which raises a semi personal question which you can fell free to asnwer at your supreme will. :p Democrat or Repluician? Or a green party?

Sorry for any typos in advance.

----Rusty

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
DungeonMaester said:
Dear Gary,

Well, having no responces to my post is a constant theme, so I cant expect to goad a responce from you, Gary. Still, the avatar from futurama? Classic! dind't Al Gore say he was a 12 level Vice president? Which raises a semi personal question which you can fell free to asnwer at your supreme will. :p Democrat or Repluician? Or a green party?

----Rusty
Errr... :confused:

Somehow I must have missed the post you made and refer to above. If you restate any questions I will attempt a proper response.

Al Gore was the replacement for David Duchovny who left Fox before the episode was in the can. In the process I received a couple of extra lines and had to do a second session in the studio, AL Gore's final line was, "I'm a 10th level vice president," IIRR.

This is not the place to discuss politics, but I will say that I am a Life Member of the Libertarian Party, not a liberal as defined by today's standards, and very much concerned about Islamofascism, a threat I think worse than that of the Nazis and Imperial Japan in the 1930s and 40s. this latter view places me at extreme with the Libertarian position, which I view as extremely flawed.

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

DungeonMaester

First Post
Thanks gary for responding and the corretion. I havn't seen that episode in a while
but was sure it was some where close to the tens. Here is a repost of my rather...Rant....

DungeonMaester said:
Dear Gary,

I have to say, all the products that you and what came from you, have been very nice, over the many years, although that I have only been enjoying them for less then a fourth of the time they have been out. I started playing on 2e AD&D back in 90's (late I would assume having a memory flux) to 3.5 2-3 years back. From my time in the 'trenches of roleplaying' it would seem that the very attention of the game has shifted from well thought out fun characters to fairly well thought up characters that are rolled play. More and more playing has went from: I want to pick the lock, so I tkae out my tools, and stick them in the key hole picking around' to 'I pick lock, I rolled a 23, did it work?'

Again, I dont blame the compaines that make the sytems and ideas but the players that are making it more and more acceptable to not 'act out' as I remember in games of old. Maybe it was this way the whole time, maybe I was just naive having only limited groups that I played in, but what ever the reason and when ever it statred, I would like to see it stop (or slolw down) soon.

Personaly, I think there is a few reasons why this is happening. The first one of which is what I call: 'dead rules'. Dead rules are what simple rules in the game that most Dms leave out, and when playing with second generation or first time players, they new players will leave out when they start dming, not even knowing they are there. The Dead rules, which I cant remember at the moment (Ironic, isn't it?) take away role playing aspects. Oh wait, I do remember!

1) Training to gain class levels and skills. This has turned into a assumbstion in 3.5 (that you do take the training) and now the assumtion is ignored so its: You kill the tribe of goblins. 'Ding' You know learned a item creation feat and have 3 more ranks in Profession (sailor).

Ok, so that is the only one I remember off hand. :lol:

Alot of the role playing reasons have been removed from the game, and are viewed simply as a 'mechanic' that is ethier 'too weak' or 'over powered' When I do think people really understand what that means anymore.

Another think I cant say is that I know for a fact what the reasons behind the way you desisgned the game (which is to say: the role playing and mechanical aspects that entail the world) But I would like to think it was for role playing first. This is why I strongly disagree with game designers like Monte Cook. Most of Monte's ideas will make a role playing game feel more like a acrade game then a role playing. In a post that was well recieved on this forum, monte introduced a idea that I thought, ruined spell casters. Instead of spell casters having to be thoughtful in picking and choosing what spell to prepare and use for out the day, Monte's idea alowed casters a near infinite amount of spells, only limiting the spells per encounters. This is to say, a Wiz can can fireball 3 times in one battle, three times in another battle, three times again, and again and again. This ruins the wizard from being a thoughtful know-it-all to a magic powerhouse of firery death. I absoltely hate the idea of making D&D into a acrade just so a class can be thought to be more balanced, the idea is just wrong.

So, to make my rant at least some one relavnt and not all a idealistic zealot rant: Yes or no- Will 4th ED be a point buy sytem like the other games that d20 is buying out?

---Rusty

P.S. Yeah, its not a place to discuss politics, but I cant help my self some times, putting politics above gaming. Sadly, everything has became so polorized in order to make it simple to blame a party as a whole. I concider my self a 'constutional' party (which is to say, run the U.S. ran by the laws laid down by our fore-fathers. I'll stop there before I start ranting on that too.

---Rusty

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
DungeonMaester said:
Thanks gary for responding and the corretion. I havn't seen that episode in a while
but was sure it was some where close to the tens. Here is a repost of my rather...Rant....
The RPG as designed by me was meant to be mainly action-adventure, an even mix of roll-playing and role-playing, but never rule-playing :]

The game changed a little when AD&D was published, a bit more for the worse IMO when 2E was released, and with 3E the original was lost in intent and manner of play.

As I have nothing to do with the D&D game these days I can not say what 4E is likely to resemble.

P.S. Yeah, its not a place to discuss politics, but I cant help my self some times, putting politics above gaming. Sadly, everything has became so polorized in order to make it simple to blame a party as a whole. I concider my self a 'constutional' party (which is to say, run the U.S. ran by the laws laid down by our fore-fathers. I'll stop there before I start ranting on that too.

---Rusty
Politics are surely more important than games! however this board is for the latter ;)

Sadly, the constitution of the USA has been ignored and perveted for many a decade now...

Cheers,
Gary

Vague Jayhawk

First Post
I am in my final year as a political science major. When I go to Washington I am going to lobby for the needs of the gaming community. (i.e. gamers at any workplace get an extra hour lunch so that they can get some good gaming in with co-workers, 10% off all munchies and drinks when you show a store your DMG, and gamer only parking spaces in public places (you know, with all the books we have to carry)

But seriously, I don't have anything constructive to contribute to this conversation. I just thought that now would be a great time to thank you for all of the fun I have had gaming.

I started gaming in 5th grade, 1983, old red box days. Many of the best friends I have had in my life were met while playing Dungeons and Dragons. Good times, good friends. Thanks Gary.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Vague Jayhawk said:
I am in my final year as a political science major. When I go to Washington I am going to lobby for the needs of the gaming community. (i.e. gamers at any workplace get an extra hour lunch so that they can get some good gaming in with co-workers, 10% off all munchies and drinks when you show a store your DMG, and gamer only parking spaces in public places (you know, with all the books we have to carry)

But seriously, I don't have anything constructive to contribute to this conversation. I just thought that now would be a great time to thank you for all of the fun I have had gaming.

I started gaming in 5th grade, 1983, old red box days. Many of the best friends I have had in my life were met while playing Dungeons and Dragons. Good times, good friends. Thanks Gary.
:lol:

That's a great set of lobbying goals :D

Thank you for bringing some levity to this thread.

Cheers,
Gary

Mycanid

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The RPG as designed by me was meant to be mainly action-adventure, an even mix of roll-playing and role-playing, but never rule-playing :]

The game changed a little when AD&D was published, a bit more for the worse IMO when 2E was released, and with 3E the original was lost in intent and manner of play.

Hey Gary - your friendly neighborhood mushroom here....

A very good summary ... I agree with you in much of your analysis and it is refreshing to hear you so forthright about it! :)

I would only add that it is possible to keep or lose the spirit of the game in any of the editions, and indeed in any rpg ... it just seems that for many (although by no means all) people this is easier to lose if there is more detail in descriptions of the rules. I have come across this many, many times in here and in meeting with other gamers.

What do you think? Is this your experience too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases