TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

riprock

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
While games can educate and instruct, they must be first and foremnost fun and entertaining, or else the audience will not participate in the play for any meaningful period.

Hmm. If I can't figure out what the trainees find to be fun, maybe I can find out from the folks who deal with them every day. If I knew them better, I could keep them more engaged.

Col_Pladoh said:
What you are speaking of are simulatioons. I well recall the internation simulations that were vogue in the late 1960. They were interesting, challenging, and entertaining if one had the proper mindset.

I am happy to say that various forms of internet simulation games -- some serious, some playful-- seem to be getting more accessible and cheaper.

Col_Pladoh said:
Those participating in a simulation must be engaged in the subject, motivated by a desire to further their knowledge and understanding of what is being simulated, and the "play" is more similar to competitive sports/games than that of the RPG. The rewards for excellence in a simulation must be set forth clearly, as they are not likely to be obvious and immediate.

I tend to under-prepare on various things, but until now I hadn't thought of rewards as a high priority for exercise preparation. Since I'm not very competitive I've never presented such things as competitions, and I've often been surprised when some students seemed to be grabbing for the limelight. (I shouldn't have been surprised-- I've seen competition among players from both sides of the DM screen.) Probably I could bring up the rewards in my intro and encourage some competition to keep everyone awake.

Hmm. I need to work out some details, but there are clearly a few changes I know I want to make for my next big presentation.

Thanks very much!

Treebore

First Post
riprock said:
Treebore, the pictures of your house seem to be missing today. I can see the site with the gemstones,though: those are some amazing stones. The AD&D DMG inspired me to take a geology class, but I stopped there.

I'll also second the sentiment that role-playing is a healthier form of escapism than television, drugs, or various other modern diversions.

As for a perspective that can comfortably deal with how much D&D changed the world, I'd suggest this one: Nothing can resist the power of an idea whose time has come, and D&D happened to be the idea that opened the floodgates for a new form of culture.

So the moral of the story is: look around, find the ideas whose time is coming, and work to bring them into reality.

They definitley look broken. I'll tell my webmaster (my wife).

Treebore

First Post
Right now only the first page of the houses are broken. The rest all look good. Plus at the bottom of the "rock" page are links that will take you to our animals and other stuff, such as the art of my 14 year old daughter. Most of that art was done over a year ago, when she was 13.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy Elfdart,

I do believe that I have read about the book The Year 1000 somewhere before, and I will have to make a point of finding and ordering a copy.

I do indeed have The Encyclopedia of Fairies by Katherine Briggs in my folklore book collection. Your recommendation to GMs to get a copy and use it to enliven encounters with critters is a good one!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Lanefan said:
As you're being so kind as to answer these questions, may I present one a little bit from left field, in hopes it hasn't been asked and answered a hundred times before:

It regards a rumour I've heard about the inspiration behind the Bulette, from MMI. Back in the day when we were all kids, there was a series of small plastic toy dinosaurs etc., some of which didn't entirely look like dinosaurs at all...and one of which, rumour has it, was the inspiration behind the Bulette. True, or not true?

Lanefan
Hi Lanefan,

As noted by Philotomy Jurament, there was a set of plstic toys laughlingly labled as dinosaurs IIRR. I frequented the local dime stores back in the late 60s and early 70s searching for toys that would suit tabletop fantasy gaming. The said bag contained three we incorporated--the bulette, the owl bear, and the rust monster. Scale was a bit of a problem, but when improvised figurines are all that one has, the players were quite willing to make do :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ciao Treebore,

Treebore said:
I realize you had absolutely no idea what kind of "box" you were opening when you opened the D&D boxed set to the world (the first ones you sold were boxes, right?). Which probably makes it hard for you when all these people give you all this credit you don't feel you deserve.

Would it really be any better for you if you actually knew, or even strongly suspected, the wide range of impact the game would have on the world?
Heh, and a little box is was that OD&D came in. As all the serious players had to invest a good deal of their own time and creative thought into the game, the credit is certainly a shared one.

Ah, yes! Had I an inkling of the impact of the D&D game when I was writing it, I would have been a lot more careful in the layout and details contained in the work, done it more as if it were a college paper than a fanzine piece :\

You may have unwittingly released the proverbial plague upon the world, but at least it is one to be proud of, whether or not you had a clue to all the fun and happiness it was going to give to so many.
We all loved the game, and I was sure that we would sell at least 50K sets, the mark that The Avalon Hill Company's Panzer Blitz hit that was a record for a wargame.

As for where i live, I am surprised at how much I love it here. It "feels" so completely right for me to live here. I can't explain it any better than that. Its awesome watching those lightning and thunder storms crossing the mountains onto the plains, kicking up that big rolling cloud of dust in front of it. Then to be able to see the rainbows from one end to the other. Many times there are two or three side by side. Then the sunsets, clear sky or filled with thunder clouds. Absolutely beautiful.

Plus I never thought I would like owning horses and goats as much as I do. Being a "rock hound" has its advantages out here as well.

Yes, I do love it here.
Aw shucks!

While I must agree that the sky is right pretty there, glorious even, I sure had plenty of animals here in Wisconsin, including a one-third ownership in a billy goat ( :eek: ) when I was around age 13, a real herd of horses when I was in my 40s, one of them a state junior champion mare. In the mix was a raccoon, crow, rabbits, chickens, ducks, and geese plus sheep, swine, and cattle a bit before the time of the equines.

As for the LGGC I am a regular on the Troll boards for C&C, so I'll just keep my eye on it (the LGGC forum) for when the next time rolls around. Plus I have looked at the pictures that have been posted. Hopefully I will get to participate in the LA games on your porch next year.
Great!

With some good luck and the Good Lord willing, I'll be here to run the games :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Steverooo said:
After Lejends went under, I contacted Lady Amanda, and commiserrated with her, and she mentioned something upcoming (with Troll Lords, IIRC). I haven't seen anything but C&C/Castle Xagyg out of the lot of you, since, so I thought I'd ask. Must be another long-dead, forgotten project! :p
Well...

The Trolls are doing the rather extensive "Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds" generic reference book series that is under my auspices, several of the works authored or co-authored by me, the Lejendary Adventure Essentials boxed set along with several LA game modules, and are working towards LA game core rules expansion book publication, then the production of a revised version of the game in hardback form. Also pending is the publiocation of the Lejendary AsteRogues Fantastical Science RPG, as well as the re-release of the "Gord the Rogue" books in hardbound editions, a boardgame design titled King of England - King of France and likely more genre expansions for the LA game system. They even have a children's fantasy book I wrote in their backlog of mss. to peoduce. Somehow you have missed a good deal that TLG has released has touted the release of, or has plans to do :lol:

None of that is with TRS, though, and I do believe that operation is defunct.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy Riprock,

If you can relate the participation to career goals, improved chance for financial rewards, and/or possession of superior knowledge/performance excellence, the major bases will be covered.

Actually, approval/praise from you before the group is likely to be considered a reward by participants sincere in their desire.

Anyway, good luck :D

Cheers,
Gary

seskis281

First Post
Hi Gary!

Thanks for the response - when I was young Friday nights were reading nights, when the TV was turned off and my father would read to us - All the early works of Robert Heinlein, Asimov, even the entire "Lord of the Rings." My father got to know Virginia Heinlein a couple of years ago before her passing, and he's currently really involved with the author's foundation. It was this exposure to "listening" to a sci-fi tale or fantasy tale, in which we closed our eyes and imagined, that sparked my interest and led me to the bookstore to by my first set of Basic and Expert D&D.

I was wondering if you also knew H. Beam Piper, specifically the book Lord Kalvan of Othewhen ? I have always thought that the idea of paratime (multiple dimensions of Earth) would make an outstanding RPG and I may try to design it someday.

Oh, and a happy belated birth-day. Mine's tomorrow.

John Wright

"Sometimes you've got to know when to roll 'em.... know when to run."

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
seskis281 said:
Hi Gary!

Thanks for the response - when I was young Friday nights were reading nights, when the TV was turned off and my father would read to us - All the early works of Robert Heinlein, Asimov, even the entire "Lord of the Rings." My father got to know Virginia Heinlein a couple of years ago before her passing, and he's currently really involved with the author's foundation. It was this exposure to "listening" to a sci-fi tale or fantasy tale, in which we closed our eyes and imagined, that sparked my interest and led me to the bookstore to by my first set of Basic and Expert D&D.
I was nearly in my teens when I saw my first TV program. Growing up listening to radio dramas did encourage eye closing and imagination, as did my father's bedtime stories, my mother's reading aloud to me...as frewuently as I could wheedler into doing that :lol:

I was wondering if you also knew H. Beam Piper, specifically the book Lord Kalvan of Othewhen ? I have always thought that the idea of paratime (multiple dimensions of Earth) would make an outstanding RPG and I may try to design it someday.
I have met a number of SF and Fantasy authors, but not Mr. Piper. I am familiar with the novel of his that you mention, an rousing tale indeed. i have at least one old paperback copy of it in the basement library. I write the LA game system spcifically with an eye to having it accommodateother genres so as to eventually enable play in varying universes with a constant core rules set and characters that could transfer from one to another.

Oh, and a happy belated birth-day. Mine's tomorrow.

John Wright

"Sometimes you've got to know when to roll 'em.... know when to run."
Happy birthday, John :D

Mine isn't until this thursday...game night :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper