TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Soel said:
Hello, Gary!

I don't know if you've covered this question before (very likely, I'd guess,) but I would like to ask you about your initial inspiration for coming up with differing distinctions for the fiendish creatures. Mainly, what caused you (taking an assumption it was your idea to do this,) to separate the classical demon into demons and devils and others?

I can understand having a hell, but I guess another part of the question is, why were other lower planes of existence created?

Thanx in advance!
Howdy Soel,

The separation of demons and devils followed rather naturally from the use of the alignments. Demons in mythology are typically depicted as being brutish and chaotic, while devils are more orderly and cunning, so there you have the distinction.

The lower planes were a drawn from mythology as well, those being the realms of evil, the evil dead, and whatever was malign.

Cheers,
Gary

Orius

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
I suspect the producres hoped you'd BUY the DVD because of my appearance :lol:

Ha! That's what Blockbuster is for. :)

Still, I do admit that hearing your commentary on the film does give me an added incentive to want to watch this movie. I always enjoy the interesting commentaries.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Orius said:
Ha! That's what Blockbuster is for. :)

Still, I do admit that hearing your commentary on the film does give me an added incentive to want to watch this movie. I always enjoy the interesting commentaries.
As a matter of fact I was very hesitant about being included in the extended DVD, turned down a trip to the West Coast to see the movie and give an interview. After speaking with the producers, I agreed to having someone come here to my place. After i viewed the new film I was quite agreeable to giving an interview, as it was much better than the first D&D movie.

Cheers,
Gary

StupidSmurf

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
As a matter of fact I was very hesitant about being included in the extended DVD, turned down a trip to the West Coast to see the movie and give an interview. After speaking with the producers, I agreed to having someone come here to my place. After i viewed the new film I was quite agreeable to giving an interview, as it was much better than the first D&D movie.

Cheers,
Gary

Dagnabbit...I missed the movie. Oh well...since it's on the SF Channel, it should be repeated like, what, 58 gazillion times? :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
StupidSmurf said:
Dagnabbit...I missed the movie. Oh well...since it's on the SF Channel, it should be repeated like, what, 58 gazillion times? :)
Don't get all het up about seeing it, as the first one was pretty marginal. If it hadn't been "D&D" it might have become popular as a campy bad fantasy film, but...even Jeremy Irons seemed to dislike being in it, played Boris Karloff playing Jeremy Irons playing his part:\

Cheers,
Gary

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Gary, this is Edena_of_Neith. I have another relatively frivolous question. I hope these questions are ok within this thread.

I am a fan of Stephen Donaldson and his Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (First, Second, and now Last Chronicles.)
If you have read any of these books ...

In 1st and 2nd Edition terms, what classes and terminology would you employ to define the Lords and Loresraat? The Woodhelvenin and Stonedowners? The Haruchai (normal monks are not so strong.) The Ramen and Raynhim? The Giants? The Waynhim, Ur-Viles, and Cavewights? The Lurker of the Sarangrave?

And, in an attempt at humor here ... if Thomas Covenant showed up on Oerth, in the Flanaess, and started with his usual 'This place doesn't exist! The Flanaess is a dream!' and yet his Wild Magic started affecting things, how would Mordenkainen and your other PCs react? (Let's even say that Vecna, Acererak, Iuz, or even Ivid, played the Lord Foul here.)

If you will allow, I have more questions of this type to ask, later on.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Edena_of_Neith said:
Gary, this is Edena_of_Neith. I have another relatively frivolous question. I hope these questions are ok within this thread.

I am a fan of Stephen Donaldson and his Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (First, Second, and now Last Chronicles.)
If you have read any of these books ...

In 1st and 2nd Edition terms, what classes and terminology would you employ to define the Lords and Loresraat? The Woodhelvenin and Stonedowners? The Haruchai (normal monks are not so strong.) The Ramen and Raynhim? The Giants? The Waynhim, Ur-Viles, and Cavewights? The Lurker of the Sarangrave?

And, in an attempt at humor here ... if Thomas Covenant showed up on Oerth, in the Flanaess, and started with his usual 'This place doesn't exist! The Flanaess is a dream!' and yet his Wild Magic started affecting things, how would Mordenkainen and your other PCs react? (Let's even say that Vecna, Acererak, Iuz, or even Ivid, played the Lord Foul here.)

If you will allow, I have more questions of this type to ask, later on.
Howdy Pilgrim!

Your questions are quite acceptable, but...

As I am not a fan of the author in question I regret I am unable to gove you any useful response :(

I am reading about the "Old Northwest" currently, so if you have any questions about Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, or Wisconsin around 1800 to 1840, fire away :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

sinecure

First Post
If Wisconsin became a state in 1948, and thereafter the Chippewa, Menominee, Oneida, Potawatomi and Winnebago tribes were displaced, given the extensive hyperborean winters, how did the state's heritage influence the creation of D&D?

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
sinecure said:
If Wisconsin became a state in 1948, and thereafter the Chippewa, Menominee, Oneida, Potawatomi and Winnebago tribes were displaced, given the extensive hyperborean winters, how did the state's heritage influence the creation of D&D?
Err...

The last portion of your question is a non sequitor to the leading statements :uhoh: I can say that my maternal family settling in Wisconsin in 1838 supplied me with many an interesting tale of "frontier life" as told by my grandfather and grandmother. To the best of my knowledge the Potawatomi made regular summer encampment in the Lake Geneva area through about 1920.

Actually, the abandoned ruins of the five-story, red brick insane asylum (Oak Hill Sanatarium) that still stood here until c. 1958 were more influential in inspiring the D&D game than was the history you mentioned--the place had tunnels under it and "secret rooms" created by the boys who haunted the place. Such places were needed, for the police took a dim view of us being in the building.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads