TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dead said:
Hi Gazza,

After you left TSR, the company released some atrocious Greyhawk material (for example, WG7 Castle Greyhak). Was this a coincidence or a retalitory attack against you?

All I can do is speculate, but knowing Lorrane williams, I would tend to go with the spate of wretched WoG material being done as retalitory ;)

Also, after you left TSR, you finished the Gord the Rogue books. At the end of the cycle, Oerth bites the bullet. Was this your way of saying that Greyhawk is dead and that fans should turn away from TSR's version with disdain?

More my way of saying that since T$R had killed the setting with trash releases, it was time to wipe out the shame by obliterating the setting. Of course, I left a means of restoring it hidden within in the Gord story saga...

So . . . in other words, did TSR release the Invoked Devestation (WG7 and others) and you respond in kind with the Rain of Colorless Fire (the final Gord book).

Not an inappropriate analogy.

Besides that, what long-term campaigns are you running at the moment? How many? What systems are you using? Do you have a D&D 3E campaign on the go?

Thanks. :)

Basically, I have a Lejendary Adventure campaign that has been running for about 10 years now. We break from that to play other systems. We did some C&C game play earlier in the year, and now the lads are playing slightly modified OD&D rules exploring the five original dungeon levels of Castle Greyhawk.

No 3E play here as I personally very much dislike the system.

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
shock the monkey said:
Colonel_Pladoh,

I'm glad to hear you are recovering and writing. I've always felt there is no better incentive for one's health than to have a purpose to keep you going.

If you don't mind, I have a few questions, ones that I'm sure have been asked before, but since I can't find any record of them, I'll let fly with them here:

1) How much of Castle Zagyg has been completed? Are you in the editing phase and, if so, how many parts of the adventure can we expect to see in the coming year?

Hi Shock',

The actual castle and its levels are just now being drafted. you can look for the material in about a year from now, most likely. After that part there will be a series of collected dungeon levels, each batch covering deeper delvings.

2) I know this is a touchy subject for you, so forgive me for asking, but how difficult would it be to convert the series to Greyhawk? Like many of your fans, I would like to experience your masterpiece in its original context. Would I be better off placing the castle near Greyhawk city, or using the city that accompanies the module?

Take a close look at the material in Yggsburgh, then decide for yourself. With Rob's Dark chateau module added, there should be at least a year's adventuring therein without the castle-dungeons material.

3) Have you expanded upon ideas originally present in Zagyg's Castle or have you remained true to the original design?

Rather think of the new version is more developed and refined for use by all GMs...

4) I know that Zagyg's Castle has been designed for the Troll Lord's system, but if you could choose an alternate set of rules, which of the following would you recommend for your masterpiece: OD&D, Basic D&D, AD&D, or another more recent version of D&D? Again, forgive the sacrilige of my questions.

My choice would be original AD&D :cool:

5) Now that you're knee deep into the adventure (perhaps nearing, or having reached the end), have you gained a new perspective over the module? Can you point to some elements of the adventure which made it so unique as to be honored in gaming legend?

Heh, and you have attributed far more progress that we have made in the development of the castle-dungeons area. there remains about two man-years of design and writing yet to be done.

Thanks in advance for any response. Here's hoping your health improves,

Shock the Monkey

Thank you, amigo, and I'll settle for my health not deteriorating further :eek:

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
grodog said:
While you're updating us, Gary, do you have any news to share on the Gord story reissues?

The problems in the comic book field have pretty well put the damper on the Gord the Rogue illustrated novels. I have not heard anything positive from the prospective publisher since last spring :] When the new year rolls around i hope to get a final decision. If the project is dead, then I will begin shopping for a publisher to re-issue the seven books.

Also, do you any plans to update Role-Playing Mastery and Master of the Game? The industry has changed a lot since the late 80s, along with the types of online rpg available (PC rpgs through EverQuest through MUDs/MOOs/MUSHes/MMORPGs).

No, that would require a publisher asking for such revision...and a publishing contract. One thing, though. PC games are NOT really RPGs at all, To whom does one role-play? They are nothing but seek and destroy missions with a little problem solving tossed in. not to say that isn't a lot of fun!

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
...there remains about two man-years of design and writing yet to be done.... Thank you, amigo, and I'll settle for my health not deteriorating further :eek:

cheers,
Gary

...And as I said about this time last year, I've got the Scroll of Resurrection prepped and ready. We've waited this long, and you're not backing out now. :D

Seriously, Gary, keep good care of yourself. As good as living the good life is, it's not the same without papa G.

-Henry

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
fairylover said:
Col. PD,

Could you give some insight into the character Bucknard? I suspect (and fear) that he may have been a more or less "random" name assigned to a magic item (the ever-so-handy everfull pouch) to give it color. Did you ever think about Bucknard's background, life or exploits?

FL

Bucknard was an NPC I created out of whole cloth. He was based on a neighbor of mine when I was a lad, a Mr. Bucknall. He had a great garden, an apple tree with five different kinds of apples, and he knew astronomy well, assisted me with my 100 power telescope. He did use a small change purse, and from it he would extract a small coin to give to me now and again;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
...And as I said about this time last year, I've got the Scroll of Resurrection prepped and ready. We've waited this long, and you're not backing out now. :D

Seriously, Gary, keep good care of yourself. As good as living the good life is, it's not the same without papa G.

-Henry

Thanks Kindly, Henry:)

Just as a general FYI, I was not ignoring this thread. My ISP had some problems back in late October, and a lor of my email was lost. Evidentally a tickler prompting me to respond to a post on this thread was amongst them. Grodog emailed me to pay attention, so here I am!

Now I need to hurry up and clear off a couple of email messages, then go to lunch with my wife. Gail is taking me to a good Chinese restaurant, Moy's, in nearby Elkhorn Wisconsin. The hot and sour soup there is killer!

Ciao,
Gary

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Gary, it's wonderful to see you back. I'm going to give you Community Supporter status here - that'll give you a custom title (customizeable through "my account"), let you search (more useful in 2 months when the new server is up and running), and a few other things. Please consider it a small thank you from all of us for your kindness in answering a slew of questions. :D

Questions for you...

Gary,

1) If you could REMOVE one thing about the 3rd Edition D&D rules, what would you strip out and why?

2) Eventually, down the road we will see a 4th Edition of D&D, if you could recommend one thing to WotC, what would you recommend and why?

3) How did Castles and Crusades work out when your group played it.

warlord

First Post
Gary, all I want to say is thank you for giving the world D&D and RPGs in general.

Thank you,

Nick Tschida, D&D gamer for life, age:16

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:

-Henry

Thanks, Henry,

Wish I could use that scroll for my oldest friend, David W. Dimery who passed away last Monday. Dave was head of advertising for TSR for a number of years, and the animated spokesman "Morley the Wizard" was his creation.

Naturally, I haven't been doing much in the way of game work since...

Christmas best,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases