TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Tuzenbach said:
Actually, this particular beast made it into the 1E Monster Manual II. Whether or not any DM actually used it is anybody's guess!
Heh...

...and guess who wrote it up and ;ut it into MMII :p

LOL,
Gary

Phanboy

First Post
Hey Gary, One more completely unrelated question, any plans to voice the DM for more DDO modules? Do you play? if so What server and character?

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy John,

Two pieces of artsy-craftsy sort have engendered short stories--"The Five Dragon Bowl" from a Chinese plate, and "The House in the Tree" from a series of collectable miniature houses.

Heh, and both pieces did a great job of inspiring you, Colonel! "The House in the Tree" made me want to put something similar in my campaign (now I just need some way to fit it in) and "The Five Dragon Bowl" is second only to "Twistbuck's Game" as far as Gord stories go (IMHO).

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh said:
The opinicus is a chimerical creature that is part cameland not particularly fearsome. Check your dictionary, as most will have a description of it. The critter was used in some heraldry, as was the peryton,, a similar chimerical beast, I velieve.

The closest thing my Webster's has (in spelling at least) is opossum. They are a bit chimerical themselves. An American marsupial with a hairless tail . . . that's half way to being an Owlbear!

Col_Pladoh said:
When the second edition was being prepared I played ruthless rancher, Mr. G of the Rockin' G spread, I eventually had over 40 hands, a hired fast gun, an Indian tracker, and several Mexican vaccaros who bought cattle south of the border and saw to it that my half-iinterest in three border cantinas was properly repaid. The whiskey flowed freely for all my boys as I built and operated a distillery and eventually ran a stage line too so as to move my whiskey around to the ehole area.

Sound like one of them Eastern bankers, you ask me. I don't take no account a Yankees, no sir. Prolly wear himself a bowler hat and a tie. :]

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

But no one liked the opinicus... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

i liked them just fine, and wish that they got more coverage. :) but then, i'm weird like that.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Phanboy said:
Hey Gary, One more completely unrelated question, any plans to voice the DM for more DDO modules? Do you play? if so What server and character?
Howdy!
I am always willing to entertain offers for me to do voice over work, but there are none pending.

I avoid playing computer games on my PC and/or online, as once I start doing so that is all I want to do. My work and family suffer accordingly.

Cheers,
Gary

Garnfellow

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
According to experts,. most of the computer games of fnatasy and like sort borrow at least something from the A/D&D game.

That's is why I am mentioned as being so influential in computer gaming ;)

Greg Costikyan recently had an excellent online article that traces the rise of computer games, and there he gives the influence of D&D its due:

The Revolution Began With Paper

Gray Mouser

First Post
Devils Question

Colonel,

I was just reading the Devils entry in the MM II and there is a section entitled "The Hierarchy of the Planes of Hell," in which you list "the dukes of hell as well as some of their foremost henchmen." The entry consists of three lists; the name of the dukes, the name of the devil they are in service to, and thier command or position. A few of the entries are marked with a (F) which obviously indicates that they are females (Baalphegor, Lilis, Lilith, etc.) but there are also some dukes that have an asterisk besides their name (*). I have been unable to locate any text in the MM II that explains the meaning of this mark. Names marked with an asterisk include: Alastor, Baalberith, Baalzephon, Bel, Bethage, Fecor, Furcas, Goap, Herobaal, Nexroth, Zaebos, Zapan, and Zimimar.

Any chance you could shed some light on the meaning of the asterisked entries? Does it have anything to do with the statement that "In general the dukes are equal to a weaker arch devil, although some are but little stronger than a pit fiend or are, in fact, actual pit fiends"? In other words, are those marked with an asterisk the weaker pit fiend variety dukes?

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Gray Mouser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases