TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Kershek said:
Do you still game? If so, what system and how often? Are you the DM?

Yes, I run a weekly campaign of the LEJENDARY ADVENTURE system here, and I am the "Lejend Master" ;)

Of course now and then I do DM some OD&D or AD&D too. When Fast Forward publishes the supplement for bringing muitant humans into the METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA game. I intend to get one of the players in our group to GM a campaign of that game so I can play a character at lreast once a month--I miss playing!

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Harlock said:
Are you related to the Gary character from the movie "Weird Science"?

If you could change one thing about your life, would Dave Arneson be dead?

Who is your favorite game designer? Other than yourself, you egomanical old man!

First, I suspect thay character was likely based off of someone more like you.

Second, what a rude fellow you are. Of course I wish no ill whatsoever to Dave! As an aside, I don't waste time recriminating, let alone considering the immutable past.

Third, as you don't know me in the least, your characterization is pathetic. More importantly, as you fail to indicate what sort of game, I can not possibly attempt an answer,

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Neo said:
Lets see...

Which one of your creations do you yourself consider your greatest work?

Who of the new batch of creative whizz's would you most like to work with?

Is there a product for d20 that someone else did, that you wished you had created yourself?

Can we clone you to ensure future generations fo Gamers get to enjoy your work as much as we have? :D

What one thing would you have done differently in your career looking back now in hindsight?

What advice would you give to aspiring freelancers?

What genre or specific setting that is out there, would you most like to see converted to D20?

What piece of advice would you give to Wizards regarding thier approach to D20 and its marketing as a longterm gamer and creator?

Erm there you go off the top of my noggin.... :D

Okay, and that's quite a laundry list :eek:

As with children, picking favorites is not my style. I can say that I had a lot of fun writing all the RPGs that I've done, and that the modules are a lot of work but they too were enjoyable. In all, I have a number of historical games that I really like a lot and would love to see published and played. Think of it this way: I am a hardcore gamer, and I like to create and play games. The project I am working on or the game I am playing at the moment is the *current* favorite.

As for working with co-writers, and I have worked with quite a few, familiarity is a key factor. That said, I find that working with Jon Creffield of late is indeed very much a pleasure.

It is not possible for me to produce as much as I do and spend a lot of time reviewing other author's work, so I can't comment. Fact is I don't get the time I wish I could to read fiction. Not all work and no play, but close...

As for cloning, heh! I'd do that now to get to more of the ideas I have were it possible. What I hope will happen, though, is that some of the gamers who have read and played my material, or who have worked with me in creating such work, will come to the fore in due course with their own excellent work, some of which will possibly reflect some of my style.

As noted, I dn't spend time or energy tinking about the past, what could have been changed. However, I try not to make the same mistakes over and over...

Aspring freelancers: Work for love, not money. If you enjoy the effort, love gaming, then that will cme through in your writing. To break into the field, figure on a lot of material being published on a gratis basis, and be sure yo produce plenty to as yo become known. Writing modules for convention tournament play is a great way of building a "name," of course.

No comment on D20 conversions, sorry.

As for advice to WotC. I don't think they need any in regards the D20 system. However, in regards to the new D&D one, I believe that there is a question of "legs" for many new players, because as things stand the game allows too rapid level increase. There's more, but if Hasbro wants consulting, they'll cntract for it:)

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
laurencio said:
Are there any plans to publish the original Castle Greyhawk?

(I heard rumors about a Hackmaster version, but haven't heard anything in a while)

Publishing a revised version of the original castle ruins and dungeons from my campaign begin in 1972 has been considered, yes. Frankly, the project is so large, would consume so much time, that I can not consider it alone. So far I have had no success in reaching agreement with another person in regards to co-development of the material. Of course I require someone who actually played extensively in the campaign and knows how to design adventure modules.

That said, I am not giving up. I thought perhaps to do something modest based on the old work, and if that proves to be successful, moving ahead on the development of additional material, much as the original dungeons were created.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jester47 said:
How has the d20 explosion affected your work on Lejendary Adventure?

Do you feel vindicated that the d20 system allows you to publish what is essentially D&D stuff for the D&D game?

Lately you have done a lot of d20 projects, including The Slayer's Guide to Dragons, the revamp of Necropolis, and the Canting Crew. Are these projects good examples of what you have planned or just a precursor to what is next? What d20 thing do you have in the works?

As a player, if you had to choose, would you rather adventure in the Forgotten Realms, or in Greyhawk?

What is you opinion of the Forgotten Realms as a campaign setting?

Aaron.

Okay, and I'll try to answer all of the aove in abridged fashion. First, from my standpoint, writing for 3E is very constraining, and it can not compare to creating material for AD&D--mush less rules-heavy a system. I try to make all adventure material I write at least somewhat different from former work--unless the modules are connected, of course. You'll have to be the judge of how well I've done as new adventures appear in print.

Note that the reference series being done by TLG is really very much generic in its aim, and that material for D20, and the LA game system, is appended for the benefit of those who want such details to facilitate the incorporation of the generic ideas into their campaign rules systems.

Now as for a campaign setting, of course I prefer the WoG to FR, as I wrote so much of the former, am intimately familiar with the original work. I hasten to add that there are many buffs that are now better informed that am I in regards to the world setting. Having perforce left it for going on two decades, one tends to forget as new material is created.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nightfall said:
If I offer you a blood sacrifice and get 50 copies of Necropolis, will do write for S&SS's Scarred Lands?

Okay maybe not...but serious, Gary, now with R&R2 out and since you wrote the preface for R&R1, do you think that quality of the stuff put out by S&SS has improved a great deal?

Heh, and all I can say to the first is, liquor is more efficacious that blood...

Seriously, I have not had the chance to review R&R 2--I do have a heavy work schedule, and reading others' work doesn't get the words on "paper" (into the computer file), so I miss a lot when fully engaged in creative work. Fact is that I have not yet had time to do more than skim through the NECROPOLIS adventure. The team at Necromancer has done a great job in the conversion, adding material that really fits in so smoothly that it's hard to tell where thay did that. I'm really delighted with their efforts in this regard, so I can only assume they've done a bang-up job with R&R 2 now. Eventually I'll get to read the material. of course. I think there's an opening late in February for that... :rolleyes:

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
William Ronald said:
Do you have any plans to work on a new campaign setting, or revisit one that you have worked on in the past.

Who are some of the new designers you would like to work with?

If you could revisit any product you have worked on, what would it be?

What do you think of the gaming industry and the hobby as it stands now as opposed to the early 1970s?

What do you see as the future of our hobby, especially the role of computers and electronic products?

Whoa! Another longish list.

As to new designers, that's a question I can't answer, for as I've noted above, I seldom have the opportnity to read, let alone play, other authors' material. (That's why I am eager to "retire" so I can spend 40 or more hours a week playing games rather that writing them.)

If I could revisit something, two adventures spring to mind immediately--the city of Erelheicindlu in THE VAULT OF THE DROW and the Elder Elemental God and what might lie below the ToEE.

There can be no comparison to the hobby gaming field of the early 1970s and today's, the difference being vast! As I have often said, and in opposition to not a few in the business, I do believe that gamers are both above average in intelligence and highly creative. My main proof of the latter position is the size and diversity of gaming now as compared to anytime in the late 1970s or evcen early 1980s.

Paper games will persist, and the market might even grow some, but the clear future for growth and diversity is in the electronic end of gaming. That's something I've said for quite a few years now.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mark said:
The 1st edition AD&D DMG (1979 - TSR Games) is adorned (front and back cover) with a David C Sutherland III rendering of three adventurers battling an efreet on the Elemental Plane of Fire. Was this inspired by one of the games that you ran (or played in) and, if so, what was the outcome of said battle?

Actually, I did run a few adventures in the City of Brass, but I don't recall Dave Sutherland being involved--mainly rob and Terry Kuntz. So, to answer the question, I suppose that Dave either based his illustration on his own adventuring or else pure imagination ;)

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases