TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
sword-dancer said:
Mr Gygax

What inspired you to create roleplaying?

Short answers only to questions demanding at least essay length responses ;)

Some 30 years of living prior to actually sitting down and writing the first draft (50 pages in length) all combined to bring about the resulting game. It was a combination of much reading of imaginative fiction, a love of games, and the desire to create that enables it.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Lejandary d20?

Scott814thmpco said:
Hi Mr. Gygax
Perhaps if you converted LA to d20, your work load might lesson and I would have another campaign setting to tack on to my World of Greyhawk setting, which is a combo of Call of Cthuhlu, Star Wars and D&D. ; )
I would also love to see you do a WoG campaign source book like WoTC did for the Forgotten Realms as well as a revised queen of spiders module.

Scott Holst

That'll never happen, I assure you. I very much prefer a rules-light, skill-bundle-based system for my creative work, and changing the LA system from that to something quite different would be absolutely conuter-priductive to my creative muse, shall we say...

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
If you dislike d20, or find it too constraining to write for, why not simply write whatever you'd like, and let somone else figure out how it works in d20? Sort of like how the Necropolis d20 conversion was done, but with new material.

First, I don't dislike playing D20, I just don't like DMing the system....or writing for it because of all the rules and "fiddley bits" involved. As an aside, the authors did a hell of a job making the system tight and virtually immutable.

So, my fellow colonel, you have hit the nail squarely on the head. I do write in the LA system, then have an associate work up the conversuon material, and we then go over the whole of it.

Actually, if I do any HACKMASTER design I plan to use AD&D and the working base and then have someone else check the work and convert to HM. Of course, I'll likely toss in some new material designed strictly for Gary Jackson's masterpiece.

:eek:
Gary

Maraxle

First Post
Your Lejendary Adventures system sounds interesting. Does it support the Open Gaming License, or something similar, for 3rd party creations? Is there an equivalent of the D20 license available, or in the works?

I apologize if this is considered "common knowledge", as it is not common to me. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Oh yeah - so now what are you gonna talk about in the chat? You've answered everything!

Seriously, though - what would you like to discuss in the chat?

Right on, homes! As I am only going to be on for an hour, I thought I could manage a lot more this way that when I actually got online. I am nor a fast typist, so my answers take too much time when in live chat.

As for what I'd like to discuss, well... I figure it's up to the assembled gamers to decide that. I can go with the flow:)

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: Question for Gary

Upper_Krust said:
Hi Gary! :)

One last thing; if you get the opportunity try and slip the 8th installment in there. ;)

Actually, the plan is to do the first two novels, with some of the material from CITY OF HAWKS included, and see how things go. If, as we are pretty certain will be the case, the work is well received, then the publisher will go on to cover the other three main books. As side ventures we'll cover the short stories, and some new material too, all things working out as projected. In effect ther will be like an eighth book.

Cheers,
Gary

Mortaneus

First Post
Two questions:

1. Regarding Necropolis, what is the possibility that we might see a World of Darkness conversion for it? Personally, it seems like it would fit quite well into the setting, especially with White Wolf's current emphasis on the middle east. An ancient evil buried beneath the sands?

2. Have you ever considered writing an autobiography?

Sir Edgar

First Post
Four facts:

1. The children of D&D 1st edition (AD&D) have now grown up and started publishing their own products largely inspired by the work you and others did during the 70's and 80's.

2. D&D 2nd edition and everything associated with it is pretty much history.

3. The current owner of D&D, Wizards of the Coast, has released the Open Gaming License and d20 trademark allowing companies to produce D&D-related material like never before.

4. People like yourself, Dave Arneson, and Rob Kuntz have becoming more active in the D&D 3rd edition gaming community lately.

Four questions:

1. To what degree, in your opinion, has D&D returned to its original roots (style and spirit-wise)?

2. What are your feelings on the D&D products that have been produced over the past 15 years or so (esp. Forgotten Realms)?

3. Who are your favorite D&D artists (then and now) and why?

4. How does it feel to be back producing D&D-related material?!! :D

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
:p :D :p

The Wednesday Chat started early, I see!

edit - I think you answered quite well, Gary. :) I pretty much knew what the answer would be, but I didn't want to "speak for you."

LA, by the way, is a very good system, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a more rules-lite environment, but with low-fantasy capability as well. This means you, Kaptain Kantrip! :)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases