TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Breakdaddy

First Post
Whoa! That would've freaked me out too! Thats along the lines of some of those ghost stories you hear on the Art Bell show (I think thats the guys name, Im not an avid listener). Ive listened a couple of times when I was up that late and one of the ghost encounters that was recounted there was a real hair raiser.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Right Breakdaddy!

Being in a place that has such manifestations is not usually pleasane. There's a major mansion here on the lake, divided up into condos now, one of which I lived in for a couple of years.Despite its marvelous location, substantial building, lake view, somehow the place manages to remain deserted of habitation most of the time...

I would not care to move back if they gave me a free unit :eek:

Gary

thegolem

First Post
Gary,

I've been enjoying D&D for going on fifteen years or so now, so I just want to start out by saying thanks for bringing it into this world. It's always been a great creative outlet that I've found invaluable in learning writing and reading skills. I think the fact that D&D involves so much reading is nearly directly responsible for my above-average english skills throughout middle and high school.

Aside from that thanks, I also want to say thank you for spending some time here with us. I haven't had any questions to ask, but I'm eagerly checking this thread daily to see the new responses you've posted; I appreciate your time, thanks!

And finally, you've sold me on trying Lejendary Adventures. My brother owns a game store up here in Canada, so I'm going to have him order me a copy and check it out. Rules-light is what I love. Right now, we play an almost rules-free CoC campaign, which we're all particularly enjoying (including three new roleplayers!), so I'm eager to see if LA can give me a great rules-light fantasy setting.

Anyhow, I guess I'll finish with one question, just to keep in the spirit of the thread: Obviously when it comes to a completed manuscript you type on the computer. However, I'm wondering if you do a lot of 'idea work', brainstorming, etc. in handwritten form? I find I write a lot better on paper than on the computer espciallywhen composing from my imagination. Have you found that the advent of computer technology has greatly benefited you as a creative worker, or that its had not too much of an affect at all?

I know you've said its your pleasure to respond here, but, once again, thanks so much!

Peter Miller

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Col_Pladoh said:
While OAD&D certainly focused on combat mechanics and rules, it did not hinder other sorts of play. The XP system in 3E does that with a vengence.

Of course, OAD&D's XP system promoted the gaining of treasure above all else. :) At least there are plenty of ideas in the 3E DMG for changing the XP system, and more online.

Is that comment due to (a) the rate of advancement in 3E, (b) that XP is given only for overcoming monsters, (c) some other reason, or (d) some combination of (a), (b) and/or (c)?

On a related topic, what are the highest level OAD&D characters you've played or DMed? (That have started at a low level and worked their way upwards, of course!)

How are your sons enjoying being World Famous Game Designers? ;)

Cheers!

Great thread you have going here Gary! I'm enjoying it tremendously...

I am DMing a new campaign and have some new players, one a fellow by the name of Chris Zephro who played with Luke quite often back since Jr. High School ( in LA ). I was wondering if you might have any stories I might embarrass him with, or if you know of any particular monster phobias of his... :p

Also, as a longtime D&D Fanboy, I have always respected and feared the great Demon DEMOGORGON, and have been dissapointed that he has seen such limited print since 1E ( None of my players have ever lived through an ecounter with him BTW ). Do you rememeber Demogorgon's origin? Did he spring from your twisted, yet brilliant mind? Any details about his creation and/or usage in your gaming would be appreciated!

Thanks and Regards,

Joe Stoken

Last edited:

ScottGLXIX

First Post
Thought I’d join in on the interrogation. I’m curious about this quote from the DMG, “In my own Greyhawk Campaign there have been 9 demigods, 3 demon lords, and a handful of Norse and other gods involved in the course of many years of play. Once or twice there has been divine intervention--and twice the powers of the infernal region have come at the mention of a certain name....”. The 9 demigods would be the famous 9 that Robilar released, one of the demon lords is Frazz-Urb Luu, I know Zeus made a cameo during the same encounter, but he chose to ignore the Unnamed’s plea for help and left him to the demon lord’s tender mercies. Were Lolth or Zuggtmoy included here? I heard a story of a young Robilar being saved by “divine intervention” when he was about to meet his end at the hands of two wights. I’m guessing one of the powers of the infernal region may have been Asmodeous when Erac’s Cousin made his pact. Could you provide any more information on who the powers mentioned above may have been? The demon lords and the powers of the infernal region are the ones I’m most curious about.
Ciao,
Scott

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Gary,

I've always thought it was fantastic the way you provided some of the "game mechanics" details in the afterword of Saga of Old City. Wish you'd continued the practice with the other novels :)

But there was one in SoOC that didn't make the afterword. Gellor is gifted with a sword that purported to be invisible when wielded. I loved the idea - I don't recall it actually being showcased "in use" in the novel, but the concept was great.

Did you use a similar item in one of your own games? And if so... what sort of game mechanics were involved?

-Hyp.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
thegolem said:
Gary,

I've been enjoying D&D for going on fifteen years or so now, so I just want to start out by saying thanks for bringing it into this world. It's always been a great creative outlet that I've found invaluable in learning writing and reading skills. I think the fact that D&D involves so much reading is nearly directly responsible for my above-average english skills throughout middle and high school.

Aside from that thanks, I also want to say thank you for spending some time here with us. I haven't had any questions to ask, but I'm eagerly checking this thread daily to see the new responses you've posted; I appreciate your time, thanks!

Sure Peter, and you are most welcome. As I've said, I really enjoyed doing the design work on games. This is fun for me too, so as with any good game, we are sharing the enjoyment ;)

And finally, you've sold me on trying Lejendary Adventures. My brother owns a game store up here in Canada, so I'm going to have him order me a copy and check it out. Rules-light is what I love. Right now, we play an almost rules-free CoC campaign, which we're all particularly enjoying (including three new roleplayers!), so I'm eager to see if LA can give me a great rules-light fantasy setting.

I do hope you like the treatment. It is very different from D&D, and thus the changed patoise for the LA game. You'll need to think differently, in its terms, to really get into it. However, as you state you play CoC generally winging it, the way I played D&D and now LA, likely you'll absorb the new material pretty easily. I don't urge dedicated D&D players who love that system (whichever one they use) to play the LA game, unless they want an accassional change of pace. If someone is having fun with a game why change?

Anyhow, I guess I'll finish with one question, just to keep in the spirit of the thread: Obviously when it comes to a completed manuscript you type on the computer. However, I'm wondering if you do a lot of 'idea work', brainstorming, etc. in handwritten form? I find I write a lot better on paper than on the computer espciallywhen composing from my imagination. Have you found that the advent of computer technology has greatly benefited you as a creative worker, or that its had not too much of an affect at all?

Peter Miller

Many a time I do make notes on whatever paper is handy. This is especially true when I am doing inspirational or research reading. It really helps to do that when you are not absolutely certain as to what the final form of the work will be. From the notes I then go to the computer, enter the material in a more formal form, then use it that way, or as a basis for yet a third approach to the subject.

The outlines I sometimes do--for rules this is typically a must--are likewise mutable. If they don't work I just forget their order, use the points that work, delete and/or add new.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Hey Gary - you should try to get on Art Bell's show...

Thanks, Colonel, but sharing with friends and fellow gamers suficies. I really don't want a larger audience and the likely attendant bother from some listeners...

Ciao,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases