TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: The Neverending Thread. . .

Clangador said:

That's harsh. Why was T$R so scared of you? They seize your notes. They sue you for the Dangerous Journey system? What was wrong with these people that they were so bent on causing you a hard time? I think history has proven who were the villains in that particular affair.

From what I can make of it, it seems there was much personal enmity involved in the matter. I dared to contest Lorraine Williams right to control the company, and she disagreed with all that I wished to do with TSR--put qualtiy product first, not aim at profits over all, allow employee ownership, etc. So when she took over she apparently wanted to both bury me even as she seemed to milk the company for all she could gain from it.

Right you are about the historical results showing that Williams was absolutely unsuited to manage the company. It is not very comforting to the AD&D fans, though...

Cheerio,
Gary

Vargo

First Post
Hello there, Gary!

I'm a long-time player of your creation, and had a question for you about the spell level progression chart.

A certain local story hour, currently in the incarnation of "The Rape of Morne," but previously known as "Lady Despina's Virtue," and "The Heretic of Wyre," refers to the different spell levels as "valences," such as those of the electron shell of your average atom. It's a marvelous image, and I'd like to continue to imagine that you drew your inspiration for the spells per day chart from that image, but I'm willing to risk my illusions for truth.

Also, do you read any of the story hours on this site?

Thank you for your gift to us,
Thane

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Vargo,

The spell levels I devised were for game balance and logic within the system. If from that basis someone can extrapolate an interesting name and story, more power to 'em! In short, go for it.

No, I don't read story hour posts. With all the board postings, email, business correspondence, and creative work here for me each day, about the only reading-for-pleasure I manage is some history or other non-fiction and an occassional novel. At least my book purchase bills are not excessive these days...

Cheers,
Gary

ranix65

First Post
OK, this is gonna make no sense, but basically, I just had to ask, because I'm sick of hearing it from my friend's brother:

Dear Gygax,

My friend's older brother is...a psycho. He said tha the's going to Florida to learn how to program video games from the guy "who really created D&D." When I mentioned your name, his response was, "no, the guy who REALLY created D&D." Can you just answer one question for me, oh great one: Does this guy exist, or is my friend's brother just blowing smoke? Because I'm getting pretty tired of hearing it.

So basically, the question is: Did somebody else develop D&D before you and does that person now program computer/video games?

Sorry if this sounds kinda pedantic, but it's really getting to me.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
He Gary, I got an idea for you:

I don't know if you've spotted the thread floating around on the General Board, but one of ENWorld's members, The Jester, is travelling all over the U.S. seeing places he's never seen and meeting people he's never met, including many ENWorlders.

From what I've seen, he is also stopping over to stay with some of these folks, sleeping on their couch and gaming with them.

This got me thinking that when you feel in the mood for a several month vacation, what you need to do is get yourself an RV and drive all over the country meeting people from the boards and sitting in on their games for a session. I suggest the RV because you probably don't want to have to sleep on anybody's couch (the older I get, the less attractive sleeping on any couch but my own has become). But maybe everybody you visit could make you dinner or something like that.

Now I say this sort of half jokingly, but it would be one of the coolest things I can imagine to see you journey all over the country and getting to actually experience gaming with dozens of groups who owe one of their favorite hobbies to you. And hey, if you retire like this, you might never pay for a meal again. ;) Who needs Social Security when you've got an RV and huge fans?

Anyway, I thought of this on a whim and just thought I'd toss it out there. But if you do decide to do it, put me first on the list. Ok?

I've got the Bombay Gin just waiting for you (yeah, I'm that guy).

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ranix65 said:
So basically, the question is: Did somebody else develop D&D before you and does that person now program computer/video games?

Florida is where Dave Arneson is located, and Dave has credit as co-creator of the D&D game. Maybe he means him. I think Dave does some cmputer programming work, although what his credits there are I don't know.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Rel,

Really not a bad idea that, except I have a family and need to work to support them...

We have taken side trips now and then in our travels, made stops at game shops to meet the folks that way. It's possible we'll do a bit of that next spring if I make an appearance at an arms & armor museum. Time is the main problem, though.

Cheers,
Gary

RSKennan

Explorer
What if someone were willing to fund the trip (I don't have the cash) in exchange for filming it as a documentary. When I was reading the above post, I couldn't help but think what a great documentary it would make! It would be great, the whole family could go... I'm just daydreaming here.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RSKennan said:
What if someone were willing to fund the trip (I don't have the cash) in exchange for filming it as a documentary. When I was reading the above post, I couldn't help but think what a great documentary it would make! It would be great, the whole family could go... I'm just daydreaming here.

That's a horse of a different color, and sure. Such an arrangement could work. I have actually spend a three-day weekend DMins (OAD&D) for a group that flew me out and put me up at a motel with a suite where we played. It took me about two weeks to set up the adventure, and I lucked out. They finished it on Sunday night around eight o'clock :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases