TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PA

First Post
Where is the Holy Spirit?

Col_Pladoh said:
So, who can blame me for wanting to sell PA to that band of Gypsies looking for children?

Too bad they actually asked for money to get you rid of me, uh?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Well, Christmas for me was the worst I've had in recorded memory. Oh, it's the only one I've recorded. Then I better say 'in my memory'. :)(The reason why)

I got given Carcassonne... my father and I are already tinkering with the rules because Farmers make the game less fun. At least the way I use 'em.

Boxing Day was significantly better. Mainly because I got to see The Two Towers (opening day here in Australia). Very happy about that.

Anyway, D&D tonight - my County of Ulek campaign continues. Once more I must wrestle with how much time I require characters to train before gaining a level. One thing I've noticed - whenever you start putting a deadline on the characters achieving a goal (stopping the invading army, that sort of thing), using formal training becomes quite difficult.

Gary - how did you deal with this? Were you somewhat flexible with regards to training, or were you more rigid? "Oh, you've gained 2,001 XP, eh? Well, get to your tutor if you want that new level, because otherwise it isn't happening!"

Best wishes to you and your family!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:

Gary - how did you deal with this? Were you somewhat flexible with regards to training, or were you more rigid? "Oh, you've gained 2,001 XP, eh? Well, get to your tutor if you want that new level, because otherwise it isn't happening!"

Best wishes to you and your family!

When I ran my AD&D campaign, training was generally quite informal and considered to be done "on the job" as it were. Only if a virtual windfall of XPs came at once did I call for PCs to take a protracted period of time from adventuring to do their studies, train, be educated, gain experience, and practice what they had learned. A week to a month was the normal period. Otherwise, it was subsumed that the time between adventures was spent thus.

Merric, I can comisserate in regards the lack of holiday joy, as I lost my father shortly after New Year back when I was 17, and of course he was at the last of his days during the Christmas period, the end of a long bout with cancer. It is all too recent in memory despite the many years that have passed.

On to a far more positive note, I have had an old map of Carcassonne for many years, and since I heard about the game I have wondered how it plays. It seems right up my alley. When you've had a chance to play sufficiently to evaluate it, I'd love to hear about your expereince ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Sniktch

First Post
Sea of Death

I recently got my hands on a copy of this book and really enjoyed it! Reading about Eclavdra and Obmi and the like really brought me back to some classic old memories of gaming in Greyhawk in the early 80's.

I also remember a short story featuring Gord the Rogue and the Cat Lord in an old issue of Dragon, but could you tell me what other books are in the series, what order they were released in, and where I might be able to find them? I'd love to read more but I don't know where to start looking.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Sea of Death

Sniktch said:
I recently got my hands on a copy of this book and really enjoyed it! Reading about Eclavdra and Obmi and the like really brought me back to some classic old memories of gaming in Greyhawk in the early 80's.

I also remember a short story featuring Gord the Rogue and the Cat Lord in an old issue of Dragon, but could you tell me what other books are in the series, what order they were released in, and where I might be able to find them? I'd love to read more but I don't know where to start looking.

Thanks for the good words, Sniktch:)

The long short story appeared in DRAGON #100.

All of the books are OOP--although there should soon be an announcement about the release of a graphic version of them coming later on this year... I hope. Meantime, the best place to find them is Ebay.

The books, in reading order are:
SAGA OF OLD CITY
ARTIFACT OF EVIL
CITY OF HAWKS
NIGHT ARRANT
SEA OF DEATH
DANCE OF DEMONS
COME ENDLESS DARKNESS

Cheerio,
Gary

Sniktch

First Post
Thanks for the quick response (although to be honest, I waited to ask until I knew you were online :D). I'll start my digging on e-Bay, then, and I'm really looking forward to hearing more news about the possible forthcoming graphic novels.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sniktch said:
Thanks for the quick response (although to be honest, I waited to ask until I knew you were online :D). I'll start my digging on e-Bay, then, and I'm really looking forward to hearing more news about the possible forthcoming graphic novels.

Right! I am quite enthused about the graphic novels, having seen samples of the really excellent illustration (full color) that is being done for the series. The material from CITY OF HAWKS is being used to completely fill in the base of the initial novel, SAGA OF OLD CITY, and will also be used thus in the ARTIFACT OF EVIL graphic novel. I suppose it is obvious that I am most anxious to see the work in print :D

Cheers,
Gary

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Re: Re: Sea of Death

Col_Pladoh said:

All of the books are OOP--although there should soon be an announcement about the release of a graphic version of them coming later on this year... I hope. Meantime, the best place to find them is Ebay.

The books, in reading order are:
SAGA OF OLD CITY
ARTIFACT OF EVIL
CITY OF HAWKS
NIGHT ARRANT
SEA OF DEATH
DANCE OF DEMONS
COME ENDLESS DARKNESS

Not a question but a comment. I read this series and absolutely loved it. OK, to be honest I had a hard time trudging my way through Saga of Old city since it was essentially a collection of short stories, but after that - WOW!

I had a friend who read the series all the way up until Come Endless Darkness. He could never find it and didn't believe me that the book was ever printed at all. Anyway Gary, I just wanted to say thanks for the hours upon hours of fond memories I have of that series.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Come Endless Darkness does indeed exist. Certain copies of it even reached Australia. I know this because I purchased it along with Dance with Demons... and gave them both to a friend for a birthday present.

It was only (much) later that I started collecting them for myself; neither Come Endless Darkness nor City of Hawks is in my possession, though one of my roleplaying friends picked up City of Hawks in a second hand bookshop only a month ago.

Gary, with regard to Carcassonne, it seems to be a good game, although there are a few flaws with it. I'll give you more feedback when I've played it some more. It is not in the same league as Settlers of Catan, however.

Apparently the Hunters and Gatherers version of Carcassonne fixes many of the flaws of the original game... but loses the flavour of the cities and cloisters. D'oh!

I've also picked up Reiner Knizia's Kingdoms, published by Fantasy Flight Games. Only a couple of games of it so far, and again, it isn't a "great" game, but it is one that I personally like quite a bit. More of a light-hearted diversion, I guess. :)

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases