TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:

I would sooo love to see Gary answer this one diplomatically. What you ask is tantamount to "Would you please stop selling your system in the products you write?"

BTW, it's Lejendary Adventure.

Heh, and how did I do?

Of course it is a hell of a lot more that pushing the LA game system, amigo. The actual creative effort involved is vastly easier for me when I am thinking in and using the LA system ;)

Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
If you dislike d20, or find it too constraining to write for, why not simply write whatever you'd like, and let somone else figure out how it works in d20? Sort of like how the Necropolis d20 conversion was done, but with new material.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Turlogh said:
Would you rather play a character or Dm ?
Have you ever suffered DM burnout?
Will we ever see Mordenkainen's true levels and abilities?

As I am usually stuck being the GM, I long to play a character--or avatar. If I could manage both, I'd spend about half the time with each activity.

Yes, I have suffered from GM burnout. That's why it's great to play a character now and then as it refreshes and gives the opposite perspective in regards adventuring.

Actually, I am given to understand that the EPIC 3E book has come pretty close to nailing Mordie's level. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment further. As I do still play that PC now and again, I won't reveal anything else.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Question for Gary

Upper_Krust said:
Have you anymore news on the graphic novel representations of the Gord the Rogue novels?

Shhhh!

I'm not supposed to be talking about this until the publisher makes an official news release...

The work is going forward, but art delays have causeed a delay in making a public announcement of the release of the series. It had been planned to announce around this time, but I suspect there will be nothing "official" until near the end of the year.

i can say that all the work I have seen so far is really excellent, some even "breathtaking," and that I am champing at the bit for the release!

Ciuao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Necromancer Games

gordonknox said:
How would you characterize your relationship with Necromancer Games?

Are there plans for future collaborations with those folks?

gk

I think the crew at Necromancer are splendid fellows, and I really enjoy working with them--or just hanging out:D They did a great job with NECROPOLIS too, so in regards to their creative work I can only give lauds. I am considering a sequel to NECROPOLIS, but that depends on me finding some maps and notes--that might be lost. It will be some months time before I know.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Dark Psion said:
Can you explain the addition of Psionics in the AD&D Players Handbook (1st edition)?
It seemed added on and thrown together.

How right you are!

When I was writing the AD&D core material, some of my fellows in the Chicagoland area put considerable pressure on me to include psionics in the system. Sadly, I caved in to please them. If I had not been so deeply immersed in the whole, trying to get it finished on schedule, I'd have doon a far better job with the psychic-power area, I believe. It would have been far better if I'd waited and done the material when concentrating solely on that aspect of play.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
What do you think will be the future of RPGs in general, and d20 in particular?

What do you think about Dave Arneson's re-entry into RPG publishing, especially the "For too long the game industry has been mired in mediocrity, Blackmoor will burn a new path in creativity and ingenuity as it did when it served as the origin of role playing games" quotation?

Cheers!

RPGs have a bright future, both inb paper and especially electronically, the mnore so as AI improves, and most home computers are equipped with audio and video capacities.

As for Dave Arneson's re-entry, I wish him the best of luck, The hype involved in this is not to be confused with actual conditions, of course. Most new products have more than a touch of puffery in their promotion, no?

:D
Gary

Re: Re: Question for Gary

Hi Gary! :)

Col_Pladoh said:
Shhhh!

I'm not supposed to be talking about this until the publisher makes an official news release...

The work is going forward, but art delays have causeed a delay in making a public announcement of the release of the series. It had been planned to announce around this time, but I suspect there will be nothing "official" until near the end of the year.

Okay, mums the word. ;)

Col_Pladoh said:
i can say that all the work I have seen so far is really excellent, some even "breathtaking," and that I am champing at the bit for the release!

Now your just teasing! :D

One last thing; if you get the opportunity try and slip the 8th installment in there. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases