Q&A with Gary Gygax - Page 100
  1. #991
    Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    BOZ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BOZ land
    Posts
    16,870
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block BOZ


    Friend+
    Originally posted by Col_Pladoh
    I've loved Egyptology since I was about five years old and my father took me to see the large exhibit in the Field Museum in Chigaco.
    they must have changed that exhibit a whole lot because i went there a few years ago and it was very different from what i remember as a kid - a whole lot was missing. is there another mummy exhibit in chicago, or did the field museum just stash all that good stuff away?

  2. #992
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Originally posted by BOZ


    they must have changed that exhibit a whole lot because i went there a few years ago and it was very different from what i remember as a kid - a whole lot was missing. is there another mummy exhibit in chicago, or did the field museum just stash all that good stuff away?
    Darn, Boz...

    I haven't been to the Field Museum in about 10 years, so I can't really say. The exhibit used to be very extensive, and when I was a lad one could even see an X-ray of a mummy

    I do recall that the main hall was much changed the last time I was there--looked far less impressive to me than what had been on display.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Mark CMG gave XP for this post
    Laugh Scott DeWar laughed with this post

  3. #993
    Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    BOZ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BOZ land
    Posts
    16,870
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block BOZ


    Friend+
    right, i think you see what i mean. i was first there in roughly 1988, and it looked like there was a lot less stuff there last year.

    edit: even the dinos seem to be a lot less impressive... but the taxidermy exhibit is awesome.
    Last edited by BOZ; Friday, 14th March, 2003 at 10:50 PM.

  4. #994

    Parties vs. Individual Heroes

    Gary,

    A lot of the Fantasy novels focused on a single hero (Conan, Tarzan, etc.) or perhaps a hero and a sidekick.

    How did you come up with the idea of a whole party of characters adventuring in a dungeon?

    Especially since D&D grew out of tabletop wargames, and tabletop wargames tended to be 1 on 1, or 3 vs. 3 types of scenarios. Most tabletop wargames (unless they involved hidden movement) don't have a referee.

    Tom

  5. #995
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+

    Field Mueseum

    Originally posted by BOZ
    right, i think you see what i mean. i was first there in roughly 1988, and it looked like there was a lot less stuff there last year.

    edit: even the dinos seem to be a lot less impressive... but the taxidermy exhibit is awesome.
    Boz, I still remember being blown away as a little lad when entering the main hall of the Field Museum. There before me were those huge bull loxodonts locked in battle, while behind them were the bronze stature of the Masai warriors readying their spears, on another pedestal a lion and lioness crouched and snarling, and the third with the speared lions and the warriors in jubilation, one at least with shield held overhead.

    Right you are about the taxidermy exhibits there. That was where I spent most of my time as a boy, looking at them. We went to the museum about once a month, with a side jaunt to either the Shedd Aquarium or the Adler Planetarium.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Saturday, 15th March, 2003 at 03:30 PM.
    XP Mark CMG gave XP for this post
    Laugh Scott DeWar laughed with this post

  6. #996
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+

    Re: Parties vs. Individual Heroes

    Originally posted by Endur
    Gary,

    A lot of the Fantasy novels focused on a single hero (Conan, Tarzan, etc.) or perhaps a hero and a sidekick.

    How did you come up with the idea of a whole party of characters adventuring in a dungeon?

    Especially since D&D grew out of tabletop wargames, and tabletop wargames tended to be 1 on 1, or 3 vs. 3 types of scenarios. Most tabletop wargames (unless they involved hidden movement) don't have a referee.

    Tom
    Hi Tom

    Fortunately I read in a lot of genres other than fantasy, including the historical war fiction one. Even there, though, crafting a story around a large cast of characters is difficult, and from such a number one or two main protagonists, and possibly an antagonist or two emerge.

    In tabletop games, the LGTSA would have teams of players, sometimes as many as six on a side. There was usually one person as unpire or referee, the one who set up the game to be played, although that individual would sometimes play as well. When I ran my later games they were usually the "Man-to-Man" medieval ones, and as pretty common on the tabletop, each player had a command figure. A team of several defenders would plan and cooperate to try and defeat a like team of attackers.

    It wasn't much of a leap from that to single "command figures" operating as an adventuring group. Do keep in mind that original D&D had provision for and pretty well assumed that each PC would hire a few men-at-arms--the old tabletop force of soldiery

    In another thread someone was wondering how 1st level PCs in the original game survived. Some responses mentioned the "run away" tactic--the one we commonly used. None I read, though, considered the hiring of mercenaries to assist in the encounters. All the early play groups I knew of, those in 1972 and on through 1974 surely did that so as to give their low-level PCs a better survival chance. It worked very well. Yrag and Mordenkainen both began as 1st level, and Rob Kuntz, the main DM for their adventures, was not prone to cutting slack for anyone.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Mark CMG gave XP for this post
    Laugh Scott DeWar laughed with this post

  7. #997
    Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    BOZ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BOZ land
    Posts
    16,870
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block BOZ


    Friend+

    Re: Field Mueseum

    Originally posted by Col_Pladoh
    Boz, I still remember being blown away as a little lad when entering the main hall of the Field Museum. There before me were those huge bull loxodonts locked in battle, while behind them were the bronze stature of the Masai warriors readying their spears, on another pedestal a lion and lioness crouched and snarling, and the third with the speared lions and the warriors in jubilation, one at least with shield held overhead.
    there isn't much in the main hall anymore, but there is some nice statuary. i can't remember if the elephants are still there (i think they actually might be though - or at least one of them), but the only other item i remember is Sue the T-Rex - and she wasn't as big as they'd touted her to be. oh well, it's still worth a visit. this month the museum has an exhibit on baseball.

  8. #998
    Member
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Draxx


    Friend+
    Mr. Gygax,

    I was just wondering if you have had any contact with mortality.net and the mortality radio show. Adlon who hosts the show mentioned last year that he was going to try to get you on for an interview. I for one would be sure to listen. His show is excellent and is a lot of fun for the gaming community. It is a wonderful opportunity to hear from game designers and gamers from all over the globe.

    Also, I was wondering have you had any recent involvement with any scripts or ideas for new fantasy TV shows. With the success of Buffy and Angel, Xena, etc. it seems the viewer market is there for more fantasy oriented programs or films.

    Thanks again for many years of gaming fun.

    Respectfully,

    Draxx

  9. #999

    Men At Arms

    We used to hire as many (or more) NPCs for a party as PCs.

    The ideal D&D session is sort of like a Star Trek show in a way. The PCs (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, etc.) get the spotlight. The unnamed crewman is just there to give McCoy the opportunity to say, "He's dead, Jim."

    Problems set in when the GM starts spending time and effort on the NPCs and crowds the PCs out of the spotlight. So, we tend not to use as many men at arms as we did in the past, for dungeon crawls. Still might use them for dramatic effect or for battlefields or to hold horses and so forth.

    Tom

    Originally posted by Col_Pladoh

    It wasn't much of a leap from that to single "command figures" operating as an adventuring group. Do keep in mind that original D&D had provision for and pretty well assumed that each PC would hire a few men-at-arms--the old tabletop force of soldiery

    In another thread someone was wondering how 1st level PCs in the original game survived. Some responses mentioned the "run away" tactic--the one we commonly used. None I read, though, considered the hiring of mercenaries to assist in the encounters. All the early play groups I knew of, those in 1972 and on through 1974 surely did that so as to give their low-level PCs a better survival chance. It worked very well. Yrag and Mordenkainen both began as 1st level, and Rob Kuntz, the main DM for their adventures, was not prone to cutting slack for anyone.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  10. #1000
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Originally posted by Draxx
    Mr. Gygax,
    Feel free to call me Gary if you like.

    I was just wondering if you have had any contact with mortality.net and the mortality radio show. Adlon who hosts the show mentioned last year that he was going to try to get you on for an interview. I for one would be sure to listen. His show is excellent and is a lot of fun for the gaming community. It is a wonderful opportunity to hear from game designers and gamers from all over the globe.
    Yes, the good people at Mortality.net were in contact with me some tme back. I forgot the reason why it was not possible, or perhaps convenient, for me to do an audio interview with them. I get email notices of their shows, so I should probably get beck in touch...

    Also, I was wondering have you had any recent involvement with any scripts or ideas for new fantasy TV shows. With the success of Buffy and Angel, Xena, etc. it seems the viewer market is there for more fantasy oriented programs or films.

    Thanks again for many years of gaming fun.

    Respectfully,

    Draxx
    Sadly, if one isn't out on the West Coast--or in NYC--where the action is, that pretty well precludes being a participant in such productions.

    Short answer: No.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Mark CMG gave XP for this post

Closed Thread
Page 100 of 880 FirstFirst ... 5090919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110150200600 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Eulogy of Gary Gygax (courtesy of Luke Gygax)
    By Mark CMG in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Tuesday, 4th March, 2014, 08:58 PM
  2. Slate article on Gary's legacy (Merged with Gary Gygax Slandered)
    By maggot in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Monday, 17th March, 2008, 11:07 PM
  3. In regards to Gary Gygax, A thank you to all of you.
    By KRBourgoine in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Wednesday, 12th March, 2008, 01:22 PM
  4. Thank you,Gary Gygax!
    By elforcelf in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Thursday, 29th December, 2005, 04:31 AM
  5. Q&A with Gary Gygax Pt. 3
    By Dinkeldog in forum Archive-threads
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: Tuesday, 22nd July, 2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •