TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBastard

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Sadly, if one isn't out on the West Coast--or in NYC--where the action is, that pretty well precludes being a participant in such productions.

Short answer: No.

Cheers,
Gary

Have you thought of doing your own production company? Its amazing what some Star Trek and Star Wars fans have been able to do with a digital video camera and a computer. You could create your own pilot shows to shop around.

Clay_More

First Post
You mentioned Egyptology, and I must admit it is a fascinating subject. Still, D&D really had a strange effect of getting me interested in myriads of non-game subjects. I read books on Herbalism, Medicin, Zoology, History, Architechture, Craftmanship etc.. for the sole purpose of finding inspiration for D&D. This, In My Opinion, is something most anti-D&D people hardly ever consider. How D&D contains elements from so many different fields of study and that it actually can get people involved in some of these fields indirectly.

The opposition against D&D was actually rather lacking here in Denmark, so I never discovered that there actually were people who were directly "against" it. Only my introduction unto the net made me realise that there were some demented protestors. This realisation only came 10 years after my introduction to the game, so it was a little late for me to take it into consideration about starting to play :) Anyways, how did the opposition influence you? I think, that had D&D been my creation and my brainchild, I might take opposition rather personally, but thats just my opinion :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BigBastard said:

Have you thought of doing your own production company? Its amazing what some Star Trek and Star Wars fans have been able to do with a digital video camera and a computer. You could c
reate your own pilot shows to shop around.

Actually, no...

That's because I have all I can manage with the trade I have now--agme design and writing ;) there are many projects awaiting there, and too little time for them as it.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Clay_More said:
You mentioned Egyptology, and I must admit it is a fascinating subject. Still, D&D really had a strange effect of getting me interested in myriads of non-game subjects. I read books on Herbalism, Medicin, Zoology, History, Architechture, Craftmanship etc.. for the sole purpose of finding inspiration for D&D. This, In My Opinion, is something most anti-D&D people hardly ever consider. How D&D contains elements from so many different fields of study and that it actually can get people involved in some of these fields indirectly.

The opposition against D&D was actually rather lacking here in Denmark, so I never discovered that there actually were people who were directly "against" it. Only my introduction unto the net made me realise that there were some demented protestors. This realisation only came 10 years after my introduction to the game, so it was a little late for me to take it into consideration about starting to play :) Anyways, how did the opposition influence you? I think, that had D&D been my creation and my brainchild, I might take opposition rather personally, but thats just my opinion :)

Right you are about the RPG being a mind-broadening experience that encourages learning in many fields--that in addition to the imaginative, creative, and social qualities of the game--and all the while having fun, being entertained.

As for opposition, I ignore it. They never buy any gaming products anyway, eh? :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh said:

Actually, no...

That's because I have all I can manage with the trade I have now--agme design and writing ;) there are many projects awaiting there, and too little time for them as it.

Cheers,
Gary
you just need to have an intern to help you out say some one around 40 who is married so his wife could pack a lunch for you. :)
Ken

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joseph Elric Smith said:

you just need to have an intern to help you out say some one around 40 who is married so his wife could pack a lunch for you. :)
Ken

There's an idea. An intern...make that two interns! Would you believe "The Twins"?

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:

There's an idea. An intern...make that two interns! Would you believe "The Twins"?

Heh,
Gary
Well I am not sure how much more work you would be able to get done with those interns LOL.
Ken
After I win the lottery I'll apply to be your intern okay? :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joseph Elric Smith said:

Well I am not sure how much more work you would be able to get done with those interns LOL.
Ken
After I win the lottery I'll apply to be your intern okay? :)

Depends on the definition of "work." (Former President Clinton would be proud of me for that!)

Sure, either way about the intern matter, you winning the lottery or me :eek:

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
johnsemlak said:
Gary

I was wondering if the LA Primer download (did I get that right?) is available yet?

John

Hi John:)

The LA game "Quick Start" pdf is all done except for final layout. Chris Clark is away at the GAMA show, so the final won't be ready for a few days. I'll announce the availability of the download here, I suppose, on a new thread, and give the URLs of the webssites that have it ready to go. Likely be a week or so.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases