TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

blackshirt5

First Post
I've got one Gary(not sure if it's been asked before, feel free to sack me if it has).

What do you think about people being able to play evil characters in D&D? Does it go against your vision of the game and genre?

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
blackshirt5 said:
I've got one Gary(not sure if it's been asked before, feel free to sack me if it has).

What do you think about people being able to play evil characters in D&D? Does it go against your vision of the game and genre?

We had a fair number of Evil PCs in my original campaign. Mostly the experience gained from such play convinced the players the futility of having such unheroic characters. For example, in 1974 I created a half-orc cleric-assassin for a member of an Evil adventuring party. He was soon killed, and of course none of the others in the group cared to do more than loot his body;)

The game was really designed to facilitate a Good vs. Evil sort of struggle, and I subtly weighted the original AD&D game towards the Good side, but I never thought it "wrong" to play Evil characters as a means of exploring that particular aspect of human nature. I do think it abnormal to do nothing but play Evil PCs, FWIW...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
LA Game "Quick Start" pdf

Joseph Elric Smith said:
Great to see the quick start rules posted at Lejendary.com good sir
Ken

Ken!

Give the bloody URL for the website where the free download of the LA Game "Quick Start" pdf can be downloaded, for goodness sake:)

www.lejendary.com

Chris Clark will be getting the pdf to other websites soon, but because of the long service done for the game by the noted one, they have an exclusive for a few days.

Cheers,
Gary

Re: LA Game "Quick Start" pdf

Col_Pladoh said:

Ken!

Give the bloody URL for the website where the free download of the LA Game "Quick Start" pdf can be downloaded, for goodness sake:)

www.lejendary.com

Chris Clark will be getting the pdf to other websites soon, but because of the long service done for the game by the noted one, they have an exclusive for a few days.

Cheers,
Gary
Well I figured any one here would of course know where to go and already have it bookmarked. :)
Ken

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Morrus said:
I don't suppose anyone feels like compiling these Gary Gygax threads into a nice neat document, do they? :)
Morrus -

I'll be happy to do it. Give me a few weeks to get a pdf to you.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Of course. Since Morrus asked for it, I assume he'll put it someplace downloadable, either through the Story Hours downloads or some magic place where documents have happy homes, where they cavort and play all day. :)

Eridanis said:
Of course. Since Morrus asked for it, I assume he'll put it someplace downloadable, either through the Story Hours downloads or some magic place where documents have happy homes, where they cavort and play all day. :)
Sounds like a nice place I must visit it some time :)
ken

RichGreen

Adventurer
apologies if this has already been asked!

Hi Gary,

I was wondering what were the original destinations the mysterious metal triangles in Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure were meant to lead to. I'm using these to send my PCs to a number of different campaign settings I've bought over the years and never used.

Cheers

Richard

Hadit

First Post
Hello Gary!
After reading some of your responses to earlier posts, another question came to mind...
How has the playing and enjoyment of RPGs changed for you since AD&D? I mean, there seems to be an evolution of style in the games you've authored since AD&D (Mythus, LA). The addition of skills, mostly.
For example: You mentioned in an earlier post that you expected AD&D players to bring along a good amount of hirelings and henchmen into the dungeons with them. Is this still a recipe that rings true in LA?
Is LA the natural evolution of AD&D for you, or a whole new agenda all-together?
Thank-you for your time, dear sir!

Duglas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads