TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BigBastard said:
Gary, what direction would have Greyhawk gone if you did not have TSR stolen from you? How different would it be today?

Speculation...

Timelines would be loose indeed;)

The would would be a complete globe with more continents and states thereon with contributions from Len Lakofka and Francois Marcela-Froideval/

There would be several WoG sourcebooks detailing places such as the Great Kingdom, the "Barbarians (Frost, ice, Snow)," etc.

A major module would be done regarding the area around the Rift and the place proper. Another dealing with the Sea of Dust would be done. Possibly adventures regarding the Scarlet Brotherhood and the Horned Society would be available. Likely a couple of more from Len and Francois would be in the line.

There would be some "porrtal accessed" adventures, these likely found in a series of modules detailing more of the Underdark and the Sunless Sea. The portals would lead to non-fantasy-genre settings.

In all, for every question answered regarding the world, at least one new one would be created and left unanswered, for my purpose was to have a world that the DM could complete and customize as suited his group.

In all likelihood Castle Greyhawk and the City of Greyhawk would be available products.

That's it off the top of my head--first time I've actually gone to such detail in considering what I would likely have done.

Cheers,
Gary

Janos Antero

First Post
So I'm going to dance the fine line here Gary and ask another of the challenging questions...

What changes do you see in Greyhawk now that you don't think fit necessarily with the early view you had of the world? So much discussion has been thrown around about the Greyhawk Wars, From the Ashes, and other products that dramatically altered the state of the Flaness, any chance you'd comment on things you never really saw happening?

Personally, the split of the Great Kingdom prompted this question, as it never felt "right" to me. Now I grant changes are quite subjective from the PoV of the audience, but as one of the two authoritative sources, is there any chance you might discuss what you see as the pros, cons, and unlikeliness of a few of the changes?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Kai Lord said:
Hi Gary!

In the early eighties, TSR created Dragonlance to compliment the world of Greyhawk. Greyhawk provided the Dungeons, Dragonlance showcased Dragons. What did you think of Dragonlance?

Tracy and Margaret created the "Dragonlance" material because Trecy liked to "tell stories," Margaret to write/develop them, and that was the vehicle that emerged. The books were not my cup of tea, as I am more a Swords & Sorcery type, so I enjoy less time spent in character development and more action. The strictures in the DL modules also lessened their value for dame play, I thought. Lots and lots of people disagree;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy Janos:)

Fact is that after the 'Wars stuff and the 'Ashes material that followed, I paid no attention to the setting. Those two efforts unalterable changed the world from any direction I would have taken it. My work and general approach are expressed amply in the material that was published.

So the short answer is that there's no profit for anyone in my critiquing the material that exists.

Cheers,
Gary

Wolv0rine

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The strictures in the DL modules also lessened their value for dame play, I thought.

Kai Lord said:
I thought Dragonlance had some pretty nice dames, actually. Particularly Laurana, Kitiara, and Goldmoon.

Col_Pladoh said:
[/b]There are adventure modules, and there adventures... :eek:

Gary [/B]

I think he got you, Gary. :) (Unless you got the joke, and *I* missed it, in which case...eek!)

Last edited:

Hadit

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

Speculation...

Timelines would be loose indeed;)

The would would be a complete globe with more continents and states thereon with contributions from Len Lakofka and Francois Marcela-Froideval/

There would be several WoG sourcebooks detailing places such as the Great Kingdom, the "Barbarians (Frost, ice, Snow)," etc.

A major module would be done regarding the area around the Rift and the place proper. Another dealing with the Sea of Dust would be done. Possibly adventures regarding the Scarlet Brotherhood and the Horned Society would be available. Likely a couple of more from Len and Francois would be in the line.

There would be some "porrtal accessed" adventures, these likely found in a series of modules detailing more of the Underdark and the Sunless Sea. The portals would lead to non-fantasy-genre settings.

In all, for every question answered regarding the world, at least one new one would be created and left unanswered, for my purpose was to have a world that the DM could complete and customize as suited his group.

In all likelihood Castle Greyhawk and the City of Greyhawk would be available products.

That's it off the top of my head--first time I've actually gone to such detail in considering what I would likely have done.

Cheers,
Gary

Alas! The loss of possibility of all this Greyhawk material makes me sad. Frankly, I couldn't stand one iota of the Greyhawk stuff released after you left TSR, Gary... they just couldn't do it right. I was pleased that WotC ressurected the setting for 3E, but I don't feel they've supported it in a decent way either.
If there was some way for you to publish the stuff you've mentioned above in a generic game setting, grognard's would rejoice!
Another thing I would have jumped at greedily: a deities book for the Greyhawk pantheon.
Oh, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads