TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Enough about beer, back to reality.

Angcuru said:
Well, there's one thing I've always wondered, Gary. When you run games, do you have your own unpublished homebrew, or do you use one of the pre-existing settings?

Have you(exclusively) written and published a setting? (I assume Greyhawk was a joint endeavor, if so, that wouldn't count in this respect .)

BTW, who developed Mystara?

I have done three world settings on my own: World of Greyhawk, Epic of Aerth, and the latest one, still in process of publication, and with developer input, Lejendary Earth.

I used my own special homebrewed setting for A/D&D up to about 1978, then switched to the published WoG. When I was running a Mythus campaign I used the Epic of Earth, and currently my LA game campaign is based on the Lejendary Earth world setting and it's 20 pantheons of deities;)

Sorry, but i don't know who authored Mysteria.

Cheers,
Gary

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Re: Re: Enough about beer, back to reality.

Col_Pladoh said:
Sorry, but i don't know who authored Mysteria.

Cheers,
Gary

was that dave arneson? i forget who i heard was the main designer for the original D&D Known World.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Angcuru said:
What do you think of the Hackmasterization of Old-School D&D? I.E. Greyhack...

When it first hit I was quite enthused, but HM now seems to be growing out of all proportions. Of course, I have come to appreciate a "less is better" sort of approach to RPG rules...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: Enough about beer, back to reality.

BOZ said:

was that dave arneson? i forget who i heard was the main designer for the original D&D Known World.

Heh....

Seeing that D&D wasn't around to build a world setting for until 1974, and the first pubvloished world setting thereafter was World of Greyhawk, what else can I say?

Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Re: Re: Enough about beer, back to reality.

Col_Pladoh said:
I used my own special homebrewed setting for A/D&D up to about 1978, then switched to the published WoG.

Gary, would you be amenable to sharing some details of this pre-1978 homebrewed setting?

tieranwyl

First Post
Gary,

Which do you consider to be more rules-lite, Lejendary Adventures or AD&D 1E?

If you were to do a revision of AD&D 1E, would there be significant changes to: classes, alignment, level restrictions, class restrictions, experience and level progression, combat or magic? Would there be any room for improvements in 1E, and if so, what would they look like?

What types of adventures are best handled by Lejendary Adventures? Do dungeon crawls have a place in LA?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: Enough about beer, back to reality.

Geoffrey said:

Gary, would you be amenable to sharing some details of this pre-1978 homebrewed setting?

Briefly, I will do so;)

The planet was much like our earth. Think of the world of Aerth as was presented for the MYTHUS FRPG.

The city of Greyhawk was located on the lakes in about the position that Chicago is, and Dyvers was north ar the Milwaukee location. The general culture was pseudo mediaval European. Some of the kingdoms shown on the WoG map were around the adventure-central area, the City of Greyhawk.

More details aren't really possible, as the sketch maps I used are long gone:(

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
tieranwyl said:
Gary,

Which do you consider to be more rules-lite, Lejendary Adventures or AD&D 1E?

If you were to do a revision of AD&D 1E, would there be significant changes to: classes, alignment, level restrictions, class restrictions, experience and level progression, combat or magic? Would there be any room for improvements in 1E, and if so, what would they look like?

What types of adventures are best handled by Lejendary Adventures? Do dungeon crawls have a place in LA?

LA is more rules-lite that OAD&D, although you can play the latter in the same manner LA is--setting aside the class-based nature of the latter.

It doesn't actually matter what changes I would have made in AD&D, does it? Suffice to say that I had hoped to broaden the system to allow its play in genres other that fantasy. Goint into details of how I would have altered the game is really a futile exercise;)

As for the LA system, I have found it accommodates all types of adventures very readily. As one who loves dungeon crawls, I can assure you that they are as excoting with the LA game as they are with OAD&D.

The HALL OF MANY PANES module now in editing at Troll Lord Games has a huge number of different sorts of encounters within it. Ine is an "Olde Time Dungeon Crawl," that played excellently. Other encounters feature roleplay, problem solving, intregue, etc. There are many exploration-combat (dungeon crawl) encounters in it, though, because gamers love them, and as I mentioned above, I certainly do :D

Cheers,
Gary

tieranwyl

First Post
It doesn't actually matter what changes I would have made in AD&D, does it? Suffice to say that I had hoped to broaden the system to allow its play in genres other that fantasy. Goint into details of how I would have altered the game is really a futile exercise

You still have fans that play 1E AD&D, many of whom hang out at the dragonsfoot site. After all these years, some people have not been willing to move on to newer editions of D&D or other FRPG's. Partly they love the game because you wrote it, and mostly they just love Old AD&D. I think many of the "old schoolers" are hanging on to the hope that Old AD&D will make a come-back, that you would be in the creative lead of it and that their favorite classed-based game can be experienced by new gamers. There is still a lot of resentment by them toward the non-Gygax versions of the game. I could be wrong, but I don't think the old schoolers would accept a multi-genre D&D. Just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads