TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

optimizer

First Post
Howdy!

Col_Pladoh said:

Hola Mike!

The test of Raise Dead would be a fine measure of what sorts of non-human can be undead of standart sort for humans.

As I recall, though, there is some inconsistancy in regards characters being Reincarnated as a race that is soul-less:( Now I think of it, eh?

Heh,
Gary

I hadn't thought of that before but you are right. Even after a quarter of a century I am still learning new things about the game! :)

Thanks again!

Mike

mystraschosen

First Post
Hello all!:D Hijack in progress:It is a beautiful day in aurora,illinois.Know how I know this?I stepped outside on the porch after 4 straight hours on the computer at the urging of my ball and chain.I was blinded by the brilliance of the sun and the smells of springtime. So for all of you who tend to lose track of the fact that outdoors is a great salve for the spirit as I did....Well just follow my lead and take a seat on the old porch and crack a frosty brew......no one says you can't bring the laptop out with you:D Hijack over: Salutes you all and have a great day outside!
and thanks for the hijack.

Member #1 of the nature is great fan club.

Last edited:

Geoffrey

First Post
One of my favorite Gygaxian RPG products is the Epic of Aerth book. Especially evocative are some of the names of magickal devices owned by Aerth's rulers. For example:

the Four Elemental Alembics
the Etymon of Omnipotence
Tomko's Chessboard
the Argent Cloud Lamp
the Pandemonic Machine
Jakulgz's Nighted Seahorse
the Skybow Defiant
the Golden Steps of Rolgamush
the Masks of Little Dragons
the Gnotic Decompulser
etc.

Just the names alone of the above devices are sufficient seeds to grow adventures. (BTW, Gary, did you ever detail any of the items in this book, or did they remain fantastical names only?) The only designer who can compete is M. A. R. Barker, whose artifacts in his world of Tekumel have wonderfully imaginative names.

Lastly, the names of the above items reveal why Gary's RPG books are always so fun to read, while most RPG books are dry as chalk. The man has a gift for words, similar in style to Clark Ashton Smith and Lin Carter. That sort of thing is immeasureably superior to the cookie-cutter style used by Forgotten Realms author #48 in Forgotten Realms novel #472.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Geoffrey said:
One of my favorite Gygaxian RPG products is the Epic of Aerth book. Especially evocative are some of the names of magickal devices owned by Aerth's rulers. For example:

the Four Elemental Alembics
the Etymon of Omnipotence
Tomko's Chessboard
the Argent Cloud Lamp
the Pandemonic Machine
Jakulgz's Nighted Seahorse
the Skybow Defiant
the Golden Steps of Rolgamush
the Masks of Little Dragons
the Gnotic Decompulser
etc.

Just the names alone of the above devices are sufficient seeds to grow adventures. (BTW, Gary, did you ever detail any of the items in this book, or did they remain fantastical names only?) The only designer who can compete is M. A. R. Barker, whose artifacts in his world of Tekumel have wonderfully imaginative names.

Lastly, the names of the above items reveal why Gary's RPG books are always so fun to read, while most RPG books are dry as chalk. The man has a gift for words, similar in style to Clark Ashton Smith and Lin Carter. That sort of thing is immeasureably superior to the cookie-cutter style used by Forgotten Realms author #48 in Forgotten Realms novel #472.

So true. The 1e DMG is a gem in this regard. His style and influence are sorely missed in 3e IMO. Now seeing how I am enjoying the Gord novels so much my respect for his writing just keeps increasing.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mystraschosen said:
Hello all!:D Hijack in progress:It is a beautiful day in aurora,illinois.Know how I know this?I stepped outside on the porch after 4 straight hours on the computer at the urging of my ball and chain.I was blinded by the brilliance of the sun and the smells of springtime. So for all of you who tend to lose track of the fact that outdoors is a great salve for the spirit as I did....Well just follow my lead and take a seat on the old porch and crack a frosty brew......no one says you can't bring the laptop out with you:D Hijack over: Salutes you all and have a great day outside!
and thanks for the hijack.

Member #1 of the nature is great fan club.

Interestingly enough it so happens that Gail and I had lunch with an author this afternoon. We sat outside on the porch of the Temprea House here in Lake Geneva for almost four hours enjoying the sun, breezes, the food, and some gaming talk...also a bottle of Saporo;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:

[snip]

I never got around to detailing the mighty devices of the Aerth, Geoggrey. T$R's litigation pretty much put the damper on that. Whatever notes I had for those items went into the dumper, of course.

The inspiration for names such as I devised for the world setting comes from the Esteemed Author, Jack Vance :eek:

Cheerio,
Gary

Hello again Col_Pladoh mate! :)

Two more tiny questions: :eek:

Firstly, I was always curious was there any reason why Lolth/Arachne wasn't a more prominent figure within the Gord the Rogue novels? It seemed to feature just about every demon except for her; even though she is briefly mentioned.

Secondly (and your opinion is the only one in the world that matters on this question; with the exception of whomever is DMing naturally), anyone with even a passing familiarity with your work could see you have an appreciation for numerology; especially when dealing with the esoteric.

As such how many Raloogs (Type VIs) would you say are supported by the Abyss? (and I immediately confiscate an answer of "As many as you like." :p )

I don't mean to throw you in at the deep end so just to recap any pertinent evidence:

- 1st Edition Monster Manual relates that on six Type VIs are known. (Although this is something of a red herring since it undoubtedly infers the mortal knowledge on the subject)

- 1st Edition Monster Manual 2 denotes that at least 5200 Pit Fiends exist within the Armies of the Archdukes of Hell, probably close to double that figure overall...I estimate 9,999 (As such you could think that there are at least that many Raloogs).

- I can't put my finger on the source but I recall reading somewhere that there were 666 'Balors', one for each layer of the Abyss. (However this would seem to be a more accurate disclosure of the number of Demon Lords; given that figures in excess of 350 Demon Lords are mentioned making the last stand on Ojukalazogadit in Dance of Demons nearing the end of the war, when of course their numbers would have been at their lowest).

- I perceive from the Gord the Rogue novels that you personally, hold the Raloogs in fairly high esteem within the savage hierarchy of the Abyss. Which is why units of 50 are treated with such respect (50 under Pavlag and another unit of 50 as Vurons Personal Bodyguard ~ even though 49 of the latter were simply Rutterkin given the illusion of Raloogs using the Eye of Deception). Additionally they are powerful 'free spirits' and probably not easily coerced into service.

Personally I have figured the number at either 6,666 and 66,666 leaning towards the latter. However it does seem a rather large figure to bandy about.

Any insight you can shed on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Salutations Upper_Krust:)

The short question asked first is easy. I was reserving Lolth, the drow, and even the Elder Elemental God for detailed treatment in a separate yarn that never got written. Seems the popularity of the dark elves rather closed that avenue--Bob Salvatore's books and all.

Now as to numerology, better put it that I like numbers as tools and as evocotive additions to descriptive text. The connotations being more important than the actual denotations.

Working downwards, I envisaged that the Demon Lords numbered somewhat greater than the number of layers of the Abyss. However, as the place is of Chaos, as with all numbers there some uncertainty must always exist. So anywhere from 600 to 800 of them might exist at a given time, the larger layers having more than one.

Now as to the Type VI "Balors," in the whole of the Abyss there must be at least an average of 10 per layer, the captains of the lords, so your 6,666 is a good estimate in my thinking. Reference to six being known was indeed for purposes of knowing their names for purposes of summoning. Lack of cooperation between Demon Lords means that overall large numbers are not threatening to other planes...

Of course, that is all based on the conceptual cosmology of OAD&D and won't necessarily fit other systems.

I hope that covers it, but don't hesitate to ask further questions, as I am adept at giving vague answers :rolleyes: Fact is that is careful quantification is given, one must then live with it, and that could constrain later creative work!

Heh,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Hi Gary! :D I know that you like Lovecraft, but do you enjoy the thousands of stories written by his literary disciples? I own all 28 volumes of Chaosium's "Cthulhu fiction" and am having a blast reading those dread tomes of blasphemous lore.

And it all started back in 1980 when I (10 years old) purchased the unexpurgated AD&D Deities & Demigods and was quite taken with that exceedingly weird Cthulhu Mythos.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Hi Gary! :D I know that you like Lovecraft, but do you enjoy the thousands of stories written by his literary disciples? I own all 28 volumes of Chaosium's "Cthulhu fiction" and am having a blast reading those dread tomes of blasphemous lore.

And it all started back in 1980 when I (10 years old) purchased the unexpurgated AD&D Deities & Demigods and was quite taken with that exceedingly weird Cthulhu Mythos.

It has been many years since I've read the various HPL and associated stories, and I don't have the Chaosium collection, but I can say yes, I do generally enjoy the work of his "disciples." Can't recall who wrote the King in Yellow (Chambers?), but from that work to those of Derleith, Lumley, Clark Ashton Smith, Bloch, etal. the many stories help to form a more interesting whole in my mind. There is a long short story, "The Willows," whose author (whose name I've forgotten) was not a part of the HPL group that fits into the grand picture too.

Just off hand, my favorites of HPLs are "Pickman's Model." "Rats in the Walls," and "The Lurking Fear."

cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases